Taking the "friend" out of Friendswood

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Taking the "friend" out of Friendswood

Post by seamusTX »

In unrelated news, according to copyrighted stories in Tuesday's Galveston County Daily News, police found a Hummer overturned in a ditch in the 2500 block of S. Friendswood Drive around 1:45 a.m. Saturday. The airbags had deployed and blood was found in the passenger compartment.

A caller told police "a man was carrying a woman door-to-door in the 2300 block of Opal Springs Lane." Police investigated and found an injured 17-year-old girl in the attic of an unoccupied house. The girl had a broken pelvis and was taken to the hospital.

The Friendswood police chief said that the driver of the vehicle, a 20-year-old man, and other passengers face possible charges of failure to stop and render aid and leaving the scene of an accident.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=9339095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice people. Police did not speculate whether or not drugs or alcohol were involved.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Continuing the good clean fun, two teenagers, age 17 and 18, were stabbed in a fight behind Wedgewood Elementary School. Police said it was a "drug deal gone bad."

Everyone involved, including the stabbing victims, fled the scene. The victims were later hospitalized. Two suspects are at large.

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/commu ... 0f31a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, most criminals are morons, but I have trouble thinking of a more stupid thing to do than a drug deal and aggravated assault on school grounds, with enhanced sentences and possible federal prosecution for that sort of crime. Do it behind a strip mall or abandoned building.

- Jim

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

The moral of the story is that crime occurs everywhere, including what we think are "safe" neighborhoods.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

seamusTX wrote: ...Now, most criminals are morons, but I have trouble thinking of a more stupid thing to do than a drug deal and aggravated assault on school grounds, with enhanced sentences and possible federal prosecution for that sort of crime. Do it behind a strip mall or abandoned building.

- Jim
You have to deal where the customers are... :roll: Plus, risk analysis and consideration of consequences are not the forte of the teenage mind; for example, go to Youtube and search on the words "fireworks" and "butt."
USAF 1982-2005

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

ELB wrote:...for example, go to Youtube and search on the words "fireworks" and "butt."
Thanks. "rlol" Just wasted 5 minutes and now have tears running down my face with a 17 year old daughter wondering why Dad is laughing hysterically in the next room. :smilelol5:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

texanjoker wrote:The moral of the story is that crime occurs everywhere, including what we think are "safe" neighborhoods.
I've seen this all my adult life. Decent people move from decaying urban neighborhoods to pristine suburbs, and their own children turn into the problems that they fled.

Meanwhile, the inner cities become gentrified and better than the fringe suburbs where all the scummy apartments are. For those in Houston, look at 1960 or along Bellfort west of Fondren.

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

ELB wrote:You have to deal [drugs] where the customers are...
I think there was a song about that:
Simon & Garfunkel wrote:I'm one step ahead of the shoe shine
Two steps away from the county line
Just trying to keep my customers satisfied/Satisfied.
Deputy Sheriff said to me...
You're in trouble boy,
And you're heading into more.
But, two of the most clever drug-distribution schemes I have heard of are drug dealers using pizza delivery or exterminator vehicles. I recall one of them being busted when an observant neighbor thought it was odd that the exterminator was there 20 times a month.

I would have thought someone was "carrying on," as we used to call it in more discreet times, but it was drug deliveries.

- Jim

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Jumping Frog wrote:
ELB wrote:...for example, go to Youtube and search on the words "fireworks" and "butt."
Thanks. "rlol" Just wasted 5 minutes and now have tears running down my face with a 17 year old daughter wondering why Dad is laughing hysterically in the next room. :smilelol5:
You'll stop laughing when you realize your daughter is could be dating some of those morons. "rlol" I hope she has better taste than that, but seems like you can do everything "right" and still...
USAF 1982-2005

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

JALLEN wrote:Not a new problem. One of my uncles ran some 7-11 type stores in the Houston area in the '50's. He said he lost track of all the times he found himself looking down the barrel of a gun. The HPD got tired of it, formed a special squad to go around and sit in walk in coolers at night. If you saw the gun, the gun, not some lipstick case in a jacket pocket, etc. you pushed a button on the floor and dropped, whereupon a police officer came out of the cooler with a 12 ga. and took care of it, no "stick 'em up," no "you have the right to remain silent," etc. He claimed that as photos and stories appeared in the Post, the incidence of convenience store and liquor store robberies dropped to practically nothing.
Sounds like what I've read about Jim Cirillo and the "Stakeout Squad" that operated in NYC in the late '60s to early 70s.

Bolton Strid
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bolton Strid »

JALLEN wrote:Not a new problem. One of my uncles ran some 7-11 type stores in the Houston area in the '50's. He said he lost track of all the times he found himself looking down the barrel of a gun. The HPD got tired of it, formed a special squad to go around and sit in walk in coolers at night. If you saw the gun, the gun, not some lipstick case in a jacket pocket, etc. you pushed a button on the floor and dropped, whereupon a police officer came out of the cooler with a 12 ga. and took care of it, no "stick 'em up," no "you have the right to remain silent," etc. He claimed that as photos and stories appeared in the Post, the incidence of convenience store and liquor store robberies dropped to practically nothing.
That would be the "Houston Shotgun Squad"
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Frontier ... 27281.html
Originally started at a dry cleaning establishment
Smoke Rings in the Dark

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

They should start up the Shotgun Squads/Stakeout Squads again. They were a very effective deterrent to criminal activity.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Bolton Strid

Post by Bolton Strid »

LeonCarr wrote:They should start up the Shotgun Squads/Stakeout Squads again. They were a very effective deterrent to criminal activity.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Say what?! Are you crazy - and violate the rights of some worthless dirtbag? The horror! The horror!...... "rlol"
[/theoretical ACLU rant off] :lol:
Smoke Rings in the Dark

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Not sure I would want to work at a convenience store alone without bullet proof glass or something.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

seamusTX wrote:
n5wd wrote:Because that costs money they'd rather not spend.
One employee shot or otherwise injured on the job will cost them somewhere between five figures and their net worth. This would be workers comp, legal fees, or actual damages.

If the insurance company can prove that the employee was doing something outside the scope of the job (such as taking money to the bank), it will cost the business owner out of his pocket.

But what do I know? :headscratch

- Jim
You don't understand because you're thinking and planning ahead. Not many people do that.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Bolton Strid

Post by Bolton Strid »

MechAg94 wrote:Not sure I would want to work at a convenience store alone without bullet proof glass or something.
Kevlar, ladies & gentlemen.

K-E-V-L-A-R :mrgreen:
Smoke Rings in the Dark

Return to “The Crime Blotter”