Algoa: Man arrested after shooting at fleeing robber

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

DEB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Algoa: Man arrested after shooting at fleeing robber

Post by DEB »

Isn't this activity of running an operation like this illegal? Why did they even call LE? I would have thought that this would be a prime 3 S scenario. (Shoot, Shovel, Shutup). Kind of a cost of running that type of business. Accept this and have a better armed guard in the future. Breaking the law anyhow? Kind of like making firearms and self-defense illegal, what does one do if you engage in protecting yourself in that case? Not advocating breaking the law, just curious in this case.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

If a perpertrator is running away he/she is no longer immediate threat
don't shoot call the cops And whatever you do don't chase after him/her
chasing will make it worse

tommyg
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 12

Post by seamusTX »

DEB wrote:Isn't this activity of running an operation like this illegal? Why did they even call LE?
When any kind of unusual incident occurs now, nearly everyone who sees or hears it calls 911 within seconds. Sometimes the 911 operators are overwhelmed by the calls. There's no way to cover it up.

- Jim

tallmike

Post by tallmike »

DEB wrote:Isn't this activity of running an operation like this illegal?
Not necessarily.

There are many "game rooms" operated all over Texas with the approval of their local government, some even license the slot machines. They are only illegal if they pay out cash jackpots. In many places where tax revenue is small the local PDs do not do investigations to figure out if the game room in their jurisdiction is paying out cash because the tax revenue they are bringing in is so welcome.

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 12

Post by seamusTX »

Knowing that area, I'd guess it was an illegal game room. The full story said the door was locked, and the robber pushed his way in behind a customer.

Game rooms where people play pinball for stuffed animals don't operate that way.

- Jim

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

There are two of the, ahem, business's, in the local area nearby Algoa, but not IN Alogoa, that I'm aware of on Hwy 6. They're within stone throwing distance from each other. Close by Top Hat road and Hwy 6. What's weird is there's no name on either or any signage as to what their existence is about..., but their parking lots are generally populated...

I've talked to some of the local LEO's (who I don't know personally) and they seem to feign ignorance of the existence of these places.

Uh-huh...

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

texanjoker wrote: CHL instructors (at least the one when I attended) taught us that you could pretty much shoot anybody at night over a criminal action, including graffiti (I don't agree). .
They point they always miss is the part about 'if no other means exists'. So while there may be times that you would be justified in using force or deadly force against criminal msichief, if you caught someone in the act of toilet papering your trees, or tagging a wall, I will be your mere presence and yelling at them would cause the act to stop and them to run off.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:There are two of the, ahem, business's, in the local area nearby Algoa, but not IN Alogoa, that I'm aware of on Hwy 6. They're within stone throwing distance from each other. Close by Top Hat road and Hwy 6. What's weird is there's no name on either or any signage as to what their existence is about..., but their parking lots are generally populated...

I've talked to some of the local LEO's (who I don't know personally) and they seem to feign ignorance of the existence of these places.

Uh-huh...
They are "game rooms", not illegal gambling houses. Names like "Lucky Seven" and "Pot-O-Gold" and are usually dead give-aways. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

:iagree: Well put.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

WildBill,

How does you distinguish one from the other?

Plus, what's with no signage?

Ah, not that you'd necessarily know, but if you do...

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

From what I have seen here, I would think the shooter was acting under 9.43 in defense of a third person's property, to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing aggravated robbery from escaping with the property. Of course we really need to know how close or far away the robber was, i think that would make a difference in the deadly conduct charge.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

ElGato wrote:From what I have seen here, I would think the shooter was acting under 9.43 in defense of a third person's property, to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing aggravated robbery from escaping with the property. Of course we really need to know how close or far away the robber was, i think that would make a difference in the deadly conduct charge.
The LEOs on scene felt they had enough probable cause to make the arrest.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

seamusTX wrote:I keep getting the feeling that some people think that shooting a pistol at a moving car on a public road is not problematic. But what do I know? :???:
I think that's the key. If they gunned down the robber in the parking lot, there probably wouldn't be an arrest.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:WildBill,

How does you distinguish one from the other?

Plus, what's with no signage?

Ah, not that you'd necessarily know, but if you do...
Again, I forgot to post my tongue-in-cheek smilie. :oops:
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

So, a rose by any other name.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”