French Soldier Stabbed While on Patrol near Paris.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 1

French Soldier Stabbed While on Patrol near Paris.

Post by jayinsat »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/ ... 9420130525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The terrorists seem to have a new tactic. Sure would suck to live in a country where you are barred from carrying any sort of defensive weapon.
(Reuters) - A French soldier patrolling a business neighborhood west of Paris was stabbed in the neck and injured on Saturday by a man who fled the scene and is being sought by police, President Francois Hollande said.
The 23-year-old was patrolling in uniform with two other soldiers as part of France's Vigipirate anti-terror surveillance plan when he was approached from behind around 6 p.m. and attacked with a knife or a box-cutter.

A police union spokesman said surveillance footage of the attacker showed him as tall and bearded, aged about 35, possibly of North African origin and wearing a white Arab-style tunic.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

scud runner

Re: French Soldier Stabbed While on Patrol near Paris.

Post by scud runner »

They didn't behead the soldier like in the UK? viewtopic.php?f=94&t=66392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I guess in France, even the bad guys are wimps. :biggrinjester:

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

scud runner wrote:They didn't behead the soldier like in the UK? viewtopic.php?f=94&t=66392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I guess in France, even the bad guys are wimps. :biggrinjester:
It would appear so from this. The attacker also didn't stay around to face the music like the attackers in the UK....

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Nothing to see here, move along. Just another ROP incident.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

DEB

Post by DEB »

The item that I am concerned with is: French Soldier stabbed while on PATROL near Paris, emphasis mine on the word Patrol. When a Nation has its soldiers regularly on patrol in their own Nation than I believe they have lost or are shortly going to be in the sink. This would be like reading US Soldier stabbed while on Patrol, "any named US city". I know we have done this several times in the past, i.e. during the L.A. riots. But, again when regular Law Enforcement cannot handle the criminal set, then your Nation has an entire different problem that needs addressed. Soldiers patrolling their own country, wow...
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

DEB wrote:The item that I am concerned with is: French Soldier stabbed while on PATROL near Paris, emphasis mine on the word Patrol. When a Nation has its soldiers regularly on patrol in their own Nation than I believe they have lost or are shortly going to be in the sink. This would be like reading US Soldier stabbed while on Patrol, "any named US city". I know we have done this several times in the past, i.e. during the L.A. riots. But, again when regular Law Enforcement cannot handle the criminal set, then your Nation has an entire different problem that needs addressed. Soldiers patrolling their own country, wow...
IIRC the National Guard patrolled US airports, with long guns, after 9/11. Perhaps the French, who have experienced very violent riots in recent years feel the security need for continued patrol of certain areas.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Other nations use soldiers for internal security duties quite a bit. The US has also in the past, in times that were a lot closer to the founding of the nation.

Not having soldiers on patrol inside the national borders is the more unusual circumstance, historically.

I am curious as to whether that French soldier and his companions were actually armed. Nothing I've read so far has indicated one way or the other.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “The Crime Blotter”