Six UH Students Robbed in Dormitory

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Six UH Students Robbed in Dormitory

Post by WildBill »

Another "gun crime" in a gun free zone.

Six University of Houston students reported being robbed at gunpoint in one of the school’s dorms, campus police said early Friday.
According to the University of Houston Police Department, the robbery was reported around 2:12 a.m. in the basement area of the Law Residence Hall.
The victims told police three male suspects took cell phones and wallets and then left through the emergency exit door in an unknown direction. No injuries were reported.

No arrests have been made so far.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/6-UH-stu ... 15731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Six UH Students Robbed in Dormitory

Post by jmra »

This is exactly how liberals believe this should play out. Nobody hurt, especially the one who will be voting democrat in the next election.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

jmra wrote:This is exactly how liberals believe this should play out. Nobody hurt, especially the one who will be voting democrat in the next election.
:thumbs2: professional courtesy
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

In order to get into a dorm you have to swipe a student ID. So how did the robbers get in?

According to the University, a student actually let them in. We don't know if the student knew of their intent to rob people or not. Some students say allowing strangers into dorms is actually fairly common.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/24219 ... z2nZK2cM2i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they know the student who opened the door, maybe they will catch the robbers. Maybe he will get charged with being an accessory?
NRA Endowment Member

sunny beach
Banned

Post by sunny beach »

When I was in school in was very common for people to follow others in. Nobody thought twice about it. Now they call it tailgating and many businesses have policies against it, but maybe not in school dorms.

For example here's an internal communication to Seagate employees.

E10

Post by E10 »

Yeah, 40 more unarmed security guards will really make things safer. In a pig's eye. Maybe we'll get campus carry passed this time, if Abbott and Patterson win.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

E10 wrote:Yeah, 40 more unarmed security guards will really make things safer. In a pig's eye. Maybe we'll get campus carry passed this time, if Abbott and Patterson win.
It will take a special session of the Texas Legislature unless, somehow, Strauss is replaced in the House. As long as he remains, there will be Democrats chairing committees which consider gun bills. That pretty much stifles anything during the regular session.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The students ask for it many times. They invite drug dealers and others who should not be there into the dorms to party with them. They get drunk and wonder around the outside edges of the campus. That campus sits dead in the middle of one of the worse areas of Houston.

My son went to the U of H School of law. He lived in an off campus apartment and had already experienced four years of college at UT Austin so he was already over being mesmerized by new found freedom from parents. Unfortunately, many are not and they are usually the ones who ignorantly let partying get them into trouble.

A few years back, they discovered a couple reports were falsely made by students who had blown all their money and needed a story for mommy and daddy.

So who knows... But carrying on campus will never stop students from asking drug dealers to deliver in the dorms.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

03Lightningrocks wrote:The students ask for it many times. They invite drug dealers and others who should not be there into the dorms to party with them. They get drunk and wonder around the outside edges of the campus. That campus sits dead in the middle of one of the worse areas of Houston.

My son went to the U of H School of law. He lived in an off campus apartment and had already experienced four years of college at UT Austin so he was already over being mesmerized by new found freedom from parents. Unfortunately, many are not and they are usually the ones who ignorantly let partying get them into trouble.

A few years back, they discovered a couple reports were falsely made by students who had blown all their money and needed a story for mommy and daddy.
So who knows... But carrying on campus will never stop students from asking drug dealers to deliver in the dorms.

That and I wonder how many would actually carry? Colleges seem to be filled with liberals that don't like guns.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

texanjoker wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:The students ask for it many times. They invite drug dealers and others who should not be there into the dorms to party with them. They get drunk and wonder around the outside edges of the campus. That campus sits dead in the middle of one of the worse areas of Houston.

That and I wonder how many would actually carry? Colleges seem to be filled with liberals that don't like guns.
Some are but there seem to be extraordinarily active Concealed Carry groups on several of the campuses.

I'm working with one of my local school board members to get CHL approved in at least some of our local schools. I believe that there is a deterrent effect of doing that. By advertizing that the schools are no longer gun free zones, the appeal of them as targets should be diminished. I do realize that it might be like putting a burglar alarm sticker on the window of a home that doesn't have one. So I'd be OK if campus carry were passed and only a few students took advantage of it. It puts the decision back into the hands of people and I will always believe that is the correct thing to do. For me, the car jacking/murder event 14 miles for Newark, NJ this week is a great example where the self-defense decision was in someone else's hands.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks

chasfm11 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:

Some are but there seem to be extraordinarily active Concealed Carry groups on several of the campuses.

I'm working with one of my local school board members to get CHL approved in at least some of our local schools. I believe that there is a deterrent effect of doing that. By advertizing that the schools are no longer gun free zones, the appeal of them as targets should be diminished. I do realize that it might be like putting a burglar alarm sticker on the window of a home that doesn't have one. So I'd be OK if campus carry were passed and only a few students took advantage of it. It puts the decision back into the hands of people and I will always believe that is the correct thing to do. For me, the car jacking/murder event 14 miles for Newark, NJ this week is a great example where the self-defense decision was in someone else's hands.
I may be about to get flamed here but I am wondering how many posting on this forum are aware of the level of debauchery happening in the dorms on campus? Don't expect your kids to tell you unless it is in conjunction with a "remember when" story or a bid to get you to allow them an off campus apartment. The thought of drunken college students rolling up and down the halls with a handgun is more than a little bothersome. They get in fights. They puke all over each other. They smoke dope. Yeah... it is a real blast. :roll: If anyone here thinks they are all sitting around listening to soft rock and studying in the light of their personal lamps you are wrong.

Campus carry is one thing but allowing people who live in the dorms, where there are no red 51% signs but should be is very likely to end up bad.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 6

Post by VMI77 »

jmra wrote:This is exactly how liberals believe this should play out. Nobody hurt, especially the one who will be voting democrat in the next election.
I have to disagree....liberals are fine with citizens being hurt as long as the criminal doesn't get hurt....especially if those hurt aren't liberals, and/or live in flyover country, believe in God, own guns, and don't support their Messiah.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

03Lightningrocks

george wrote:I kept a pistol the entire time I stayed in a dorm, on campus, in Austin, but I never shot anyone.

Prior to CHL laws.

And I missed all that debauchery.
Really? Sorry...not buying it. I know what I am talking about. What dorm did you stay in? Did they know you were commiting a felony?

Oh... sorry... I just realized you are talking about pre 1996. I have no idea how long before that. The world has changed since "your and my day". I am talking recently.

My second edit... what year did you graduate from there George?
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 6

Post by VMI77 »

george wrote:I kept a pistol the entire time I stayed in a dorm, on campus, in Austin, but I never shot anyone.

Prior to CHL laws.

And I missed all that debauchery.
You must have been an engineering, math, or science major then. My LA major son at UT saw plenty of it.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “The Crime Blotter”