3 armed robbers vs off duty sgt

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texanjoker

3 armed robbers vs off duty sgt

Post by texanjoker »

This is very applicable to this forum since we all stop and get gas. This shows concealed carry can work. 3 robbers vs an armed trained off duty leo. The leo won :thumbs2:

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/artic ... y-attempt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chicago — A gun pointed at his gut, the off-duty sheriff's sergeant digs through his pockets with his left hand, fumbling for money, as the three robbers surround him at the Far South Side gas station.

The sergeant is surer with his right hand, quickly drawing his own gun and firing point-blank. The gunman, 16, drops at his feet while the two others scatter, according to surveillance video that captured the robbery Monday night at a Citgo station on 103rd Street and Cottage Grove Avenue, across the street from Gately Stadium.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 3 armed robbers vs off duty sgt

Post by Beiruty »

Chicago scum gets a long dirt nap. Excellent reaction by the LEO. Note, he even pushed away the BG while shooting.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

arent guns illegal in Chicago? it cannot be a real news story!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Beiruty wrote:Chicago scum gets a long dirt nap. Excellent reaction by the LEO. Note, he even pushed away the BG while shooting.

I saw that. Brought back some basic hand to hand they teach in the academy to get some distance. he did a good job. Now his family will file the inevitable law suit because their son really needed the money to pay for his GED class.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Good for the criminal! All violent robberies should end like this! Awesome job by the LEO.
III

Paul's Shield

Post by Paul's Shield »

I wouldn't want anyone to die, but if a person has the cajones to grab a gun and point it at another person they better be prepared to be on the opposite receiving end and whatever may come of it. I'm glad it's on video surveillance so whoever the so called family can see the actions of, yeah, there so called, "good son who wouldn't hurt a fly". Very little investigation is needed IMO in this situation.

:fire
"Just put that hammer down and give it h3ll" - Jerry Reid

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Paul's Shield wrote:I wouldn't want anyone to die, but if a person has the cajones to grab a gun and point it at another person they better be prepared to be on the opposite receiving end and whatever may come of it. I'm glad it's on video surveillance so whoever the so called family can see the actions of, yeah, there so called, "good son who wouldn't hurt a fly". Very little investigation is needed IMO in this situation.

:fire
I do want people like these thugs to die. You point a gun at another person to rob him, you deserve to die. There is no telling how many innocent lives this officer saved by taking this thug off the street.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I hope the two accomplices gets charged with felony murder.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Once again, a failure in the victim selection process. If only the little thugs would make that mistake more often.....

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

You know, the video doesn't tell the whole story. We can't hear what was said or what was really going down. Also, how do we know the shooter didn't instigate the incident? Maybe they exchanged words earlier in the store? You never know just by looking at the video. We need to see the full investigation report and all evidence.

I holding my opinions until I see all the evidence. Speculating at this point is wrong.

:biggrinjester:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

One other thing I found interesting was how comfortable the officer was with switching his pistol from one hand to the other when it was necessary for his body position. Very good training. And he took the pistol farther away from the BG as he moved. :thumbs2:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Seabear wrote:One other thing I found interesting was how comfortable the officer was with switching his pistol from one hand to the other when it was necessary for his body position. Very good training. And he took the pistol farther away from the BG as he moved. :thumbs2:
That's one of the things I've always wondered about my being left handed. Statistically speaking, if a BG is more likely to both be right handed and facing a right handed victim, is he then more likely to try to overpower from what he believes is my weak side.....which would be my gun-side?

When I was a surfer, I was "goofy footed" (right foot forward), and ditto either in martial arts or boxing, I tend to fight right foot forward. In the relatively few close quarters/shooting from retention drills I've done, I tend to revert to right foot forwards, unless I am moving forward off the angle of attack, in which case I will tend to move forward to the left......IF the attack is from straight in from the front. If it isn't, then I have to start using pivots and footwork to keep my strong side (which the BG may believe to be my weak side) away from his grasp.

Easy to theorize and game out what to do. Even fairly easy to drill it out in a dojo. Quite another thing to put into practice in the real world with a BG who is not cooperating with your training. I am currently reading a book called "Facing Violence" which someone on this forum once recommended....I don't remember who it was. In any case, it is causing me to reexamine my beliefs and assumptions about the psychology of violence. It's not so much about changing what I might or might not do, but rather, what the other guy might do......and why. It is written in part for the world of CCW, and it also covers some important legal principles. I would suggest that if anybody's assumptions are founded in self righteous pride and and a strong sense of "what ought to be" that they pick up this book and read it. But be prepared to have some of your more cherished shibboleths challenged. I don't view it as the holy frail in all things violent, but it did help me to expand my perceptions of it. Experienced LEO's will find a lot of what he says to be familiar territory.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Here is a video interview with the dead robber's mother. Different story from the mother than you normally hear aftter their son is killed.

[youtube][/youtube]
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

It's interesting how she sounds and appears as if she has been expecting something like this to happen and recognized the life choices of her son has consequences. Glad she took the high road and didn't try to blame everyone else and the officer.

Notice when the interviewer asked if he had counselors and mentors/role models in his life she didn't ask about him having a father in his life. While not all kids raised in a single family household turn out bad, it is interesting to note how many do.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ELB

Post by ELB »

The Annoyed Man wrote:... I am currently reading a book called "Facing Violence" ...
Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected

Very good read. Kindle price less than $8, paperback less than $15. Well worth it.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “The Crime Blotter”