300 lb male HS student shoves 64 yo teacher to ground

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 300 lb male HS student shoves 64 yo teacher to ground

Post by VMI77 »

My son's wife had a problem as a substitute teacher....with the school administration. My son consulted an attorney who specializes in dealing with schools and he was told that public school systems in Texas are exempted from some laws that would apply to other employers. Sorry I can't be more specific.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Dori

Post by Dori »

Abraham wrote:I'm puzzled as to why the teacher kept repeatedly coming at the student?
Maybe it was a case of "I am a substitute teacher. You will respect mah authoritah!"

victory

Post by victory »

This time it was a 70 pound female student who refused to let them take her phone.
http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/ne ... /15040013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mamabearCali »

Read about it. Poorly handled IMO by everyone from the parent to the police.

The parent should not have texted her during school hours. Daughter should have tried to explain what was wrong and asked for help instead of running away and should have obeyed the LEO. The AP and the principals should have tried to de-escalate the situation instead of escalating it further (find out what is wrong, attend to the crisis, then discipline for defiance), there us really no excuse for calling in LEOs over a cellphone. The LEOs should have had better sense than to get involved in this sort of a dispute. It is not their job to enforce school rules, but rather the law. We should not be using police as classroom management.

LEOs have a hard enough time without being called in for hysterical teens and classroom cell phone use. Principals should not use them as their personal school rule compliance strong arms. It is wrong to put them in that position.

Enough poo in that sandwich for everyone to take a big bite.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mamabearCali wrote:Read about it. Poorly handled IMO by everyone from the parent to the police.

The parent should not have texted her during school hours. Daughter should have tried to explain what was wrong and asked for help instead of running away and should have obeyed the LEO. The AP and the principals should have tried to de-escalate the situation instead of escalating it further (find out what is wrong, attend to the crisis, then discipline for defiance), there us really no excuse for calling in LEOs over a cellphone. The LEOs should have had better sense than to get involved in this sort of a dispute. It is not their job to enforce school rules, but rather the law. We should not be using police as classroom management.

LEOs have a hard enough time without being called in for hysterical teens and classroom cell phone use. Principals should not use them as their personal school rule compliance strong arms. It is wrong to put them in that position.

Enough poo in that sandwich for everyone to take a big bite.
:iagree:

Unfortunately, over-zealous CPS workers/DAs, state law, district policies, individual school policies, and teachers' personal policies have all led to an overall breakdown of discipline in most public schools and all of the public schools in large districts. (Interesting that discipline is not a problem in most private schools.) Teachers and administrators are afraid or unwilling to discipline a kid, especially if it would require any physical actions, so they've come to rely upon LEOs, Class C Misdemeanor tickets, and J.P. Courts. It's a disservice to everyone involved.

Chas.

fickman

Post by fickman »

When I saw 6'3" 300 lbs., I was ready to see an offensive lineman. Those sports stats (height/weight) don't translate universally like they used to. I'm sure that kid feels big and strong and powerful among his peers and while pushing around an elderly female teacher, but I doubt he could do a pushup to save his life.

Too bad nobody stood up to him; I would have loved to see an actual athlete show him how lame of a bully he is. Although the lack of opposition might be another consequence of the zero-tolerance culture. . . any potential hero in the class is likely afraid that they'd get arrested for defending the teacher.
Native Texian

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

This is part of why I'd hesitate to allow teachers to CC in school. By the time I was a senior, my guess is that 1 teacher in 20 would have stood much of a chance in a physical altercation. And I wasn't the biggest kid at the school.

You might argue that CC would allow a teacher to defend themselves, but that's going to be hard to do in a classroom setting and it might be a worse choice in terms of collateral damage unless the student was armed and the alternative was worse.

What I worry about is that some kid takes down or knocks down a carrying teacher and gets himself a firearm and continues down a path of really bad decisions.

I weigh this against the possibility of stopping a columbine before too much damage is done.

jmra
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmra »

cb1000rider wrote:This is part of why I'd hesitate to allow teachers to CC in school. By the time I was a senior, my guess is that 1 teacher in 20 would have stood much of a chance in a physical altercation. And I wasn't the biggest kid at the school.

You might argue that CC would allow a teacher to defend themselves, but that's going to be hard to do in a classroom setting and it might be a worse choice in terms of collateral damage unless the student was armed and the alternative was worse.

What I worry about is that some kid takes down or knocks down a carrying teacher and gets himself a firearm and continues down a path of really bad decisions.

I weigh this against the possibility of stopping a columbine before too much damage is done.
Same argument could be made for just about any setting.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”