Woman faces life in prison for trying to save baby ducks

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Woman faces life in prison for trying to save baby ducks

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:I disagree. Stupid should really hurt sometimes.

Maybe in this case it means the victim's families taking every cent she has. I am not sure if that is possible in Canada. If she had her hazard lights on or made any attempt at all to be less of a road hazard, I might be less unmerciful about it.
We're going to have to disagree on this one. Stupid isn't criminal and you are advocating that we should look at the result and ignore intent. I don't think that's a standard you would like to be held to yourself. Do you not place an responsibility on the motorcycle operator?

Again, I would rule against her in a civil action, but I see absolutely no criminal intent, not even using a "criminal negligence" standard.

Chas.
I might be one of the few on here that see's it this way, but whenever I set out on the highway, I do so at my own risk. I cannot assume that every other driver is going to be courteous, signal for lane changes, or brake slowly. I take it as if everybody else on the road has the ability to kill me, and that all I can do to prevent it, is to drive defensively. Over obvious lane changes, double normal following distance, braking and preparing to divert in case of emergency. When I ride my bike, I am riding a bike, and everybody else is driving a 3 ton motorcycle crusher, and I'm playing "frogger" in my mind. If I hit somebody, it's as good as my own fault for not being vigilant and prepared for it, regardless of the stupidity of their reason for braking.

Should the same scenario have happened because a stroller rolled out across the highway, would the scenario be different? Knowing Canada, there is a good chance she could be free, though she did the same thing in both scenario's, they're may be judging her for her reason of stopping. Stupidity aside, you should always be prepared to come to a complete stop, should the person in front of you slam on their brakes for any reason. Their reason for stopping doesn't dictate weather you should've been prepared to stop...
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CleverNickname »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: She should serve her time and complete the community service. Then move to the U.S. as quickly as possible and get away from that British influenced garbage!
Chas.
We already have more than enough terrible drivers on our roads, we don't need to import more.

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

CleverNickname wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: She should serve her time and complete the community service. Then move to the U.S. as quickly as possible and get away from that British influenced garbage!
Chas.
We already have more than enough terrible drivers on our roads, we don't need to import more.
Braking once for a group of ducks doesn't count as being a terrible driver. I'm sure there's a number of us who have at some point, seemingly braked needlessly. Just saying, can't always judge how a person is by the only deed you've seen/heard/etc...

Seeing me on a tailgate of a pickup drinking a beer doesn't label me as anything, it just so happens to be what I was doing at that time.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hillfighter »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:We already have more than enough terrible drivers on our roads, we don't need to import more.
Braking once for a group of ducks doesn't count as being a terrible driver.
It depends how long they brake. In this case, it sounds like she braked to a complete stop. In the left lane of the highway.

In addition, she tried to cover up her depraved indifference to the danger she posed to her victims.
Czornobaj initially told police she had her hazard lights on, but witnesses testified in court that she did not, according to the National Post.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 7

Post by philip964 »

No doubt she could have braked and swerved to avoid the ducks. However the next truck or car would have wiped them out I suspect she intended to shield them from harm with her stopped car.

A collie jumped out of the back of a pick up truck on the interstate in front of me. He was daised and standing after he fell. I neatly swerved to avoid him. Unfortunately I looked in the rear view mirror after I passed him.

What was worse was the pick up truck making a u turn and seeing the faces of the children in the truck as they passed me on the other side.

Don't do that to your dog. You might not care, but I do.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Right2Carry »

I don't think this woman just stopped, but had her car door open trying to get the ducks in her car. It appears they weren't even in the road. I don't think the penalty is near stiff enough for her stupidity and lack of common sense.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eaths.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Return to “The Crime Blotter”