VA: CHL being assaulted by drunk Russians kills 1, wounds 1.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

VA: CHL being assaulted by drunk Russians kills 1, wounds 1.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local ... f6878.html

The above link is out of Richmond, Virginia where a CHL finally had his charges dismissed.

The GG CHL was being assaulted in his apartment's elevator by 2 drunk Russians who were larger
than him, had martial arts training, and 1 of the 2 had been arrested on assault charges previously.

Their BAC's (Blood Alcohol Concentrations) were .26 and .29. Legally drunk in most states = .08.

The CHL used his revolver (brand/model/caliber unknown) to kill 1 of his attackers, and seriously wound the other.

It seems to me that the CHL should not have had to wait so long for this to be justified a proper
self defense shoot.

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: VA: CHL being assaulted by drunk Russians kills 1, wound

Post by mojo84 »

The correct BACs are .26 and .29.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Thank you sir for the correction. I will edit the OP.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Learned D. Barry, the deputy commonwealth’s attorney who oversees Richmond’s homicide cases, said prosecutors concurred with Thorne-Begland’s ruling and, unless new evidence emerges, had no plans to pursue the case.
So why was he charged to begin with? This is something that really irks me. A self-defense situation is traumatic enough, but to be sucked into the legal system and have to spend money to defend yourself when the prosecutors don't even believe you're guilty is wrong. The state should have to pay his legal fees.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

baldeagle wrote:
Learned D. Barry, the deputy commonwealth’s attorney who oversees Richmond’s homicide cases, said prosecutors concurred with Thorne-Begland’s ruling and, unless new evidence emerges, had no plans to pursue the case.
So why was he charged to begin with? This is something that really irks me. A self-defense situation is traumatic enough, but to be sucked into the legal system and have to spend money to defend yourself when the prosecutors don't even believe you're guilty is wrong. The state should have to pay his legal fees.
He shot him on May 10th and was cleared in late June. It would have taken just as long to clear him here in Harris County where homicides are reviewed by a grand jury. I can't speak for your county, but I believe most counties would have homicides reviewed by a grand jury to either charge a person or rule it justified. In fact, I believe all homicides should undergo some form of legal review.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Jumping Frog wrote: In fact, I believe all homicides should undergo some form of legal review.
:iagree:

So many think the word "Homicide" = "Murder" the definition of Homicide: Homicide (Latin: homicidium, Latin: homo human being + Latin: caedere to cut, kill) is an act of a human killing another human. So, any time a human kills another human they commit homicide. The Grand Jury then determines if there is enough evidence to indict for murder or to rule a no-bill.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Jumping Frog wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
He shot him on May 10th and was cleared in late June. It would have taken just as long to clear him here in Harris County where homicides are reviewed by a grand jury. I can't speak for your county, but I believe most counties would have homicides reviewed by a grand jury to either charge a person or rule it justified. In fact, I believe all homicides should undergo some form of legal review.
Frog,

Texas Black letter law states that ALL homicides, justified or not, MUST go before a grand jury. What county does NOT matter.

:coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”