These are not good times to flaunt your wealth

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 3

Re: These are not good times to flaunt your wealth

Post by rp_photo »

Many of the comments on news reports express lack of sympathy because the victim is wealthy, which is what I attributed to class envy.

Many also are assuming insurance fraud, but a "trusted" person such as a worker who had been at the house or another family member are more likely suspects.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

For the record. I didn't read the comments on the article. Just the comments on here.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

rp_photo wrote:Many of the comments on news reports express lack of sympathy because the victim is wealthy, which is what I attributed to class envy.

Many also are assuming insurance fraud, but a "trusted" person such as a worker who had been at the house or another family member are more likely suspects.
As well as everyone who knew she was going to be at the dinner.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

Wow, what a load of Schadenfreude some of us exhibit.

How very Christian, eh...?

I often see enviable inventories of guns listed here - something akin, albeit on a much smaller scale, to what the woman did with her ostentatious display.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham wrote:Wow, what a load of Schadenfreude some of us exhibit.

How very Christian, eh...?

I often see enviable inventories of guns listed here - something akin, albeit on a much smaller scale, to what the woman did with her ostentatious display.
Why bring Christianity into it? Who are you to be questioning anyone's Christianity? It's not a matter of thinking she deserved it. It's more, if you are going to show off, then don't be surprised what happens. When someone flaunts their possessions and wealth, don't be surprised if some scumbag comes along and tries to relieve you of some of those possessions. It's life, decisions have consequences.

As for showing pics of guns on here, it's a bit different than going on TV and having a film crew going through your closet to show off your valuables which makes it easy to identify who you are and where you live. The reporter mentioned at the very end even the woman acknowledges the recent "media attention contributed".
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Here's a link to the original GMA show that led up to all this. No, I still can't muster up much sympathy.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Jumping Frog wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
rp_photo wrote:I blame the class warfare incited by Democrats and the Obama Administration for a lot of the "hating" on this woman.
This has nothing to do with Obama, democrats, class warfare or hate.
Envy.

One of the seven deadly sins, as old as human nature.

Certainly pre-dates Democrats, Obama, and a lot of haters. They have been quick to jump on the evil bandwagon, however.
Considering the closest itself exhibits another deadly sin: GREED, its a conundrum. :tiphat:

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

$1 million in a single closet, yet no alarm system in the house? Either that, or a system without motion detectors (as the robber entered through a window).

You would think with that much money, they could afford proper security. The robber took 40 minutes to steal. With a proper security system, it could have easily have been limited to 5 minutes or less, depending on how fast cops are in the area.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

mr1337 wrote:$1 million in a single closet, yet no alarm system in the house? Either that, or a system without motion detectors (as the robber entered through a window).

You would think with that much money, they could afford proper security. The robber took 40 minutes to steal. With a proper security system, it could have easily have been limited to 5 minutes or less, depending on how fast cops are in the area.
One of the news articles reported that the thief was seen on camera, but his manner of dress successfully concealed his identity.

These folks now have a better understanding of just how effective cameras are for deterring crime
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

victory
Posts in topic: 2

Post by victory »

A fool and his money are soon parted.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Excaliber wrote:
mr1337 wrote:$1 million in a single closet, yet no alarm system in the house? Either that, or a system without motion detectors (as the robber entered through a window).

One of the news articles reported that the thief was seen on camera, but his manner of dress successfully concealed his identity.

These folks now have a better understanding of just how effective cameras are for deterring crime
On the news at 12:00 today they reported that she "forgot to set her alarm" that night. :headscratch

I have no 3000 square foot closet, but I have never forgot to set my alarm since it was installed 13 years ago.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Not accusing anyone of anything. It wouldn't surprise me to see reports in the future that her or her husband's business is struggling and they are having financial trouble.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

500,000 to 1,000,000, in a closet? I doubt if I have $5,000 worth of anything in the closet and even that would require a lot of effort and carrying capacity to make off with. Unless she's got some very very expensive small items that really add up, it seems like the crooks would need a pretty big truck to haul it off.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

Its great she can have a closet like that, not really a good idea to advertise. :headscratch No matter how you see it the thief is the person in the wrong not her. I don't feel sorry for her but I don't see much of a difference between her closet getting cleaned out or someone clearing out my gun safe. The size of the impact one ones wallet shouldn't be how a crime is weighted.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

RKirkwood wrote:Its great she can have a closet like that, not really a good idea to advertise. :headscratch No matter how you see it the thief is the person in the wrong not her. I don't feel sorry for her but I don't see much of a difference between her closet getting cleaned out or someone clearing out my gun safe. The size of the impact one ones wallet shouldn't be how a crime is weighted.
Well, once difference is, they might commit some heinous fashion crimes with what they stole, but it seems unlikely that any of her wardrobe will be used to kill people and rob liquor stores.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “The Crime Blotter”