Deaf CHL killed by a Deputy in Florida

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Deaf CHL killed by a Deputy in Florida

Post by philip964 »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/flor ... -was-deaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub

Re: Deaf CHL killed by a Deputy in Florida

Post by C-dub »

How could he have understood and been in an argument with the tow truck company, but not hear or understand the officer? Lip reading only? IDK, but the officer said he perceived a threat. I also wonder what commands would have been necessary to disobey to get shot if there wasn't a threat.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bigity

Post by bigity »

Some of the comments elsewhere mention that the guy was shot in his vehicle.

Guess we are gonna have to wait for more details, but it seems odd the LEO agency would ask the family not to speak to the press (if that even happened).

I think we are missing a large part of this still.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

bigity wrote: I think we are missing a large part of this still.
:iagree: There's got to be lot more to this story than we know at this point
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

I think the deaf guy put himself in a bad position. He twice ILLEGALLY displayed his weapon. The first time he went there he showed the person working there that he was armed.. The 2nd time he is there the officer physically sees a weapon. It is no ones fault but the deaf guys. A concealed license does not entitle one to threaten or harass anyone. If the deaf guy anticipated there would be problems retrieving his car from a towing company-he could have, and should have, left the gun at home. Or, alternately, he could have let his son deal with the company if he could not control his temper. I can't imagine arguing with a towing company. If you think they were in the wrong, you take them to court. If you disagree with them yelling & screaming & threatening them with a firearm is likely to get you shot, and/or killed exactly as we see happened here. This guy sounds exactly like the type that we DO NOT NEED carrying a firearm around. He TWICE displayed the weapon, after, or during, an argument. Hot-heads & handguns are a deadly combination.

It's tragic that an officers life has been permanently altered as is the family of the deaf guy. It's a shame the son could not convince his father to leave the gun at home, or locked in the vehicle they drove there. All of this could have been avoided.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”