NYPD shoots man assisting assault victim

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 1

NYPD shoots man assisting assault victim

Post by Dadtodabone »

"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Kawabuggy

Re: NYPD shoots man assisting assault victim

Post by Kawabuggy »

I don't know if it is possible to have written that article to be more confusing..

bigity
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bigity »

"..died at hospital."

Maybe the writer is not a native English speaker and that's why the article is so bad?
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

bigity wrote:"..died at hospital."

Maybe the writer is not a native English speaker and that's why the article is so bad?

I think you mean not a native American-English speaker. "At hospital," or more likely "in hospital" is the proper usage in Great Britain and many other English speaking countries.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Ok, so this is tragic, I get that. But from what I read, he was accidentally shot as they were engaging someone else. There is nothing in the article (unless I've missed it) that suggests he was targeted, but instead he was collateral damage.
"After ordering the suspect to drop the knife multiple times, police discharged their firearms striking the armed individual. The 47-year-old male was pronounced dead," a police source said.

The man was named as Francisco Carvajal.

Police said the 51-year-old man, who also entered the apartment, "sustained trauma to the torso during the incident" and was pronounced dead at hospital.
Nothing indicates that they targeted him intentionally. As written, the data suggests it could have been an accident.

So what was the value of the race-baiting comments in the last two paragraphs of the article? Which stink-pot is the author trying to stir up unnecessarily?
Monday's incident came just over two months after a black father of six suffered a fatal heart attack after New York police officers on Staten Island used an illegal choke hold to subdue him.

On August 9, officers in Ferguson, Missouri shot dead an unarmed black teenager, sparking protests and reigniting fierce national debate about relations between police and African Americans and police tactics.
Assuming that he's just collateral damage, that is tragic indeed. But there is no need to blow it larger, just to support your own agenda. Disgusting, if you ask me.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

bigity

Post by bigity »

G26ster wrote:

I think you mean not a native American-English speaker. "At hospital," or more likely "in hospital" is the proper usage in Great Britain and many other English speaking countries.
Or they learned English from a blighter.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Vol Texan wrote:Ok, so this is tragic, I get that. But from what I read, he was accidentally shot as they were engaging someone else. There is nothing in the article (unless I've missed it) that suggests he was targeted, but instead he was collateral damage.
"After ordering the suspect to drop the knife multiple times, police discharged their firearms striking the armed individual. The 47-year-old male was pronounced dead," a police source said.

The man was named as Francisco Carvajal.

Police said the 51-year-old man, who also entered the apartment, "sustained trauma to the torso during the incident" and was pronounced dead at hospital.
Nothing indicates that they targeted him intentionally. As written, the data suggests it could have been an accident.

So what was the value of the race-baiting comments in the last two paragraphs of the article? Which stink-pot is the author trying to stir up unnecessarily?
Monday's incident came just over two months after a black father of six suffered a fatal heart attack after New York police officers on Staten Island used an illegal choke hold to subdue him.

On August 9, officers in Ferguson, Missouri shot dead an unarmed black teenager, sparking protests and reigniting fierce national debate about relations between police and African Americans and police tactics.
Assuming that he's just collateral damage, that is tragic indeed. But there is no need to blow it larger, just to support your own agenda. Disgusting, if you ask me.
I doubt very seriously that he was targeted. If he had been he wouldn't have a scratch on him.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Tragic incident. I wonder how much brass was laying on the floor when this one was over.
III

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That quote is not in the article now, so maybe it was corrected. However, I know many people that English is their first language that cannot write that well. Sometimes I am one of them. We can't all be as eloquent as TAM.

The article does say that the 51y old man was shot by mistake. To me, there is a difference between mistake and accident or getting hit by crossfire, but of course there are not enough details or facts in this article to make any conclusions either way. We'll just have to wait and see.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

C-dub wrote:

That quote is not in the article now, so maybe it was corrected.
IMHO nothing to correct as it is correct English, just not common "American" English. Yahoo News is a world wide website, so why should they be restricted to reports only written in American English?

BTW, I just looked again and it's still there in the article linked.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

G26ster wrote:
C-dub wrote:

IMHO nothing to correct as it is correct English, just not common "American" English. Yahoo News is a world wide website, so why should they be restricted to reports only written in American English?

I don't know how I'm missing it. I did a CTRL+F search for the word "hospital" and only came up with one hit on the page in this sentence.
And one hit on the word "died" with the same method in this sentence.
The medical examiner's office said Laureano died from a gunshot wound to the back and declared his death a homicide.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

C-dub wrote:
I don't know how I'm missing it. I did a CTRL+F search for the word "hospital" and only came up with one hit on the page in this sentence.
Looks like you found it to me. That's the quote in question in bold.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

G26ster wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Looks like you found it to me. That's the quote in question in bold.
Okay. I noticed the missing "the", but was focusing on the other words. Sorry.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I don't believe this can be classified as a "shootout" as stated in the first article below since the knife wielder wasn't "shooting" back. Looks like NYPD is getting some range time or the target was close and not moving around much. Laureano was shot in the back and couldn't have been stabbed before the officers arrived and also rush past them into the line of fire. If he wasn't bleeding in the hallway he may be that "Flash Guy" that runs super fast but not fast enough.

"During the shoot out, 10 shots were fired into the apartment. An autopsy revealed that Carvajal was hit nine times, with four of the bullets exiting his body and the other five remaining inside. It is unclear whether the 10th bullet struck and killed Laureano or if one of the exited bullets took his life."

http://www.inquisitr.com/1516527/new-yo ... t-complex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Police say Carvajal's former girlfriend called Laureano to help her at an apartment. It's not clear whose apartment it was. They say Laureano showed up at the residence and rushed past officers to confront the knife-wielding Carvajal. Police say officers told Carvajal to drop the knife several times. Initially, they also said that Laureano had been stabbed before officers arrived. The medical examiner said no stab wounds were found on his body.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nypd-police ... rontation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

bigity

Post by bigity »

G26ster wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Not saying it was wrong, just an indication to me that perhaps the writer was an ESL person.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”