Gunmen attack Canadian Parliament Building

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mr1337
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Gunmen attack Canadian Parliament Building

Post by mr1337 »

As I understand it, the honor guard doesn't carry a loaded gun. Might as well have been a paperweight.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

The guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery are being told to be extra alert. I hope they give them real bullets or have an armed "visitor" sitting in the observation stands.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

philip964 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shot-w ... 35480.html

Honor guard was shot at "point blank range". Was the poor honor guard supplied with ammunition?

Honor Guard was a father of a young son and is described as a man who would do anything for you.
RIP

I remember seeing a guard one time in Canada, I'll have to look but I bet he was armed with a flintlock.

BG wore a hoodie.

BG has been described as a recent convert. But his dad went to Libia to fight Kadafi.

Sounds like there were no armed anyone inside the parliament building with the exception of the Sargent of Arms.
Didn't sound like he was an LEO, but a ceremonial guy with a big hat and big sash.

Fortunately he was armed with real bullets and was a good shot or things could have been very bad.

Point blank range remind me again where it came from.

Thanks
While Mr. Vickers does have a few ceremonial duties, he is first and foremost the head of security for the Canadian Parliament's House of Commons. He is a 29 year veteran of the RCMP and directs all Commons security activity . He's not the only armed member of Parliamentary Security, he was just the closest.
Likewise the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives have Sergeants-at Arms.
The House has Paul D. Irving. Mr. Irving was an Assistant Director of the U.S. Secret Service from 2001 to 2008, serving as a Special Agent with the Secret Service for 25 years.The Sergeant at Arms reviews and implements all issues relating to the safety and security of Members of Congress and the Capitol complex. The Sergeant at Arms also coordinates extensively with the U.S. Capitol Police and various intelligence agencies to assess threats against Members of Congress and the Capitol complex.
The Senate has Andrew B. Willison. His education and experience has all been in the realm of Administrative Staff and Support. He oversees the largest Senate organization with a staff of over 800 and $200 million annual budget. Uniquely the Senate Sergeant at Arms is authorized to arrest and detain any person violating Senate rules, including the President of the United States.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

From the video of Parliament shooting. There was 1 loud shot (I assume it is from the shooter shotgun) and a hail of bullets, (like 20+ rds). The shooter got drained at a fast clip. :thumbs2:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

philip964 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shot-w ... 35480.html

Honor guard was shot at "point blank range". Was the poor honor guard supplied with ammunition?
Sounds like there were no armed anyone inside the parliament building with the exception of the Sargent of Arms.
Didn't sound like he was an LEO, but a ceremonial guy with a big hat and big sash.

Fortunately he was armed with real bullets and was a good shot or things could have been very bad.
I read elsewhere the honor guard's rifle was unloaded.

The sergeant at arms had to first go to a lock box and retrieve the pistol before he could hunt the terrorist down and kill him.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I read elsewhere the honor guard's rifle was unloaded.

The sergeant at arms had to first go to a lock box and retrieve the pistol before he could hunt the terrorist down and kill him.
yeah, that sounds about right.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The global war on terror has been as successful as the war on drugs. You just have to love our governments for keeping us all so safe.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Reports are coming out now that everyone has had time to investigate. It's possible it wasn't a terrorist attack, but just a man with some serious mental health issues.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-shooter-tri ... -1.2068636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think as a country, it would be easier to cope with a mental heath issue rather than a terrorist attack. (Although you could say the two are not mutually exclusive.) It just brings it back full circle to prove that it's not a gun problem - it's a mental health problem. You can't save the world from crazy people.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Another report saying the attack was not related to ISIS:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep calm and carry.

bigity

Post by bigity »

howdy wrote:The guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery are being told to be extra alert. I hope they give them real bullets or have an armed "visitor" sitting in the observation stands.
Is the one guy armed with a pistol when he comes to change the guards? I forget what he's called.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

philip964 wrote:Honor Guard was a father of a young son and is described as a man who would do anything for you.
IIRC, there was also a witness who said he moved toward the shooter and appeared to be readying for a disarm attempt.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

I read on another forum that the shooter was armed with a Winchester '94 in 30-30. Here is the link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa-sh ... -1.2811249
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

http://news.yahoo.com/canada-pm-hid-clo ... UAB7DQtDMD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What to do in a country with no guns and your the PM?

Hide in a closet, while your associates fashion spears out of flagpoles.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/wo ... rrer=&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More on soldier who was killed at Canadian War Memorial. Rifle was unloaded. RIP

bigity

Post by bigity »

Yea that's standard. The guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are also carrying unloaded rifles.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Return to “The Crime Blotter”