5 year old shoots 6 year old brother

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

5 year old shoots 6 year old brother

Post by howdy »

3rd one this week in Houston

http://www.click2houston.com/news/deput ... f/31564960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 5 year old shoots 6 year old brother

Post by Right2Carry »

Parents need to be held accountable, there is just no excuse for this type of loss of life!
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Right2Carry wrote:Parents need to be held accountable, there is just no excuse for this type of loss of life!
:iagree: Hammer them. Take any other kids away and place the with other family if possible.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

A lot of folks want the parents head for this tragedy. I never seem to see anyone wanting the parents blood with any type of preventable accident other than firearms.

How about when a child drowns in a swimming pool, drinks Drano or other household chemicals, is crushed by a TV they pull over, chokes to death on hard candy, gets killed by the family dog, pulls a skillet of hot grease on themselves, falls down a stairs and is seriously injured or killed, or gets out of the house and behind Mom or Dad's car? If we are going to be so draconian about a child's injury or death, then let's go all the way and make accidental injury to a child a "strict liability" crime, regardless of the mechanism of injury or the surrounding circumstances.

This is tragic to be sure, but it's also a mistake they will never make again. They have already been punished enough, far more than anything the State can do.

Chas.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

True enough Charles. And most of those things really are accidents and even when parents try the kids can sometimes still figure out ways around the preventative measure. This, though, is such a simple thing to prevent. I'm not advocating punishing them any more than the law already allows for, but we're always harping about enforcing the laws on the books. It seems like there is always an excuse for not punishing someone when something like this happens.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:A lot of folks want the parents head for this tragedy. I never seem to see anyone wanting the parents blood with any type of preventable accident other than firearms.

How about when a child drowns in a swimming pool, drinks Drano or other household chemicals, is crushed by a TV they pull over, chokes to death on hard candy, gets killed by the family dog, pulls a skillet of hot grease on themselves, falls down a stairs and is seriously injured or killed, or gets out of the house and behind Mom or Dad's car? If we are going to be so draconian about a child's injury or death, then let's go all the way and make accidental injury to a child a "strict liability" crime, regardless of the mechanism of injury or the surrounding circumstances.

This is tragic to be sure, but it's also a mistake they will never make again. They have already been punished enough, far more than anything the State can do.

Chas.
Well Said Sir. This is indeed already tragic enough.
III

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

firearm left unattended on purpose (i.e. hiding spot)? Firearm left unsecured (misplaced, forgotten about) when owner is distracted? What other possibilities?

You ever find yourself caught up in thought when driving, only to come back to the task of driving and realizing how inattentive you were? Driving 70 mph and not focusing on it?

I imagine that people get comfortable with firearms to such an extent that focus is lost.

Putting some measures in practice can reduce the possibilities of a tragedy. Keep the gun on you or only handle it in front of your safe, or store it in the safe. I do this. I have four kids in the house. Lord help me to never lose a healthy fear.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Texas_Blaze wrote:I imagine that people get comfortable with firearms to such an extent that focus is lost.
This is the one that scares me the most. Complacency can be deadly. It happens to COPs, pilots, driving (as you mentioned), SCUBA divers, you name the activity and the greater the experience and familiarity, the easier it is to be complacent.

Chas.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

:iagree: with Charles.
Ron
NRA Member

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

When you have kids in the house you're supposed to keep certain things away from them and even have locks on drawers to dangerous items such as kitchen knives (or at the very least on a counter out of their reach). Guns have far less uses in the house than many other household items so excuses for leaving them accessible to children should be treated skeptically. Simple child-proof safes aren't expensive nor are they difficult to operate anymore. My tolerance for parents leaving their guns accessible to children gets less and less every time I see one of these stories.

I don't have the same reaction when I see the statistics on deaths by televisions simply because that seems more accidental (although certainly preventable) whereas an "accidental" death by a weapon seems negligent.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:A lot of folks want the parents head for this tragedy. I never seem to see anyone wanting the parents blood with any type of preventable accident other than firearms.

Chas.
Well said; FWIW, I agree with you.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Chas.
You think that 5 year old will grow up normal after killing his sibling due to the neglectful actions of the parents?
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Right2Carry wrote: You think that 5 year old will grow up normal after killing his sibling due to the neglectful actions of the parents?
"As of noon, the child was said to be in critical condition but was expected to survive."

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/2015/03 ... /24269223/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

jmra

Post by jmra »

rbwhatever1 wrote:
Right2Carry wrote: You think that 5 year old will grow up normal after killing his sibling due to the neglectful actions of the parents?
"As of noon, the child was said to be in critical condition but was expected to survive."

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/2015/03 ... /24269223/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's great news. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jmra wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:

That's great news. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
:iagree: That is great news!

Return to “The Crime Blotter”