Freddie Gray's death ruled a homicide

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

philip964
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Freddie Gray's death ruled a homicide

Post by philip964 »

A Fox news commentator said tonight that "we now know that three of the police officers are white and three are black".

Interesting if the DA knew that. I'm sure the rioters did not know that.

Here are photos. http://news.yahoo.com/six-baltimore-off ... 30690.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The officer who drove the van is charged with second degree murder, he is African American.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Wall »

philip964 wrote:Seems to be a political proscution, on the surface.

If I was a police officer in Baltimore I'd see if there were openings in Texas.
Funny you should mention this. I was thinking the same thing tonight. Seems like other than the union the city is throwing them under the van.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

This could be interesting.

http://www.youngcons.com/baltimore-poli ... ay-family/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fraternal Order of Police lodge is asking Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby to appoint a special prosecutor to the Freddie Gray investigation because of her personal connection to the Gray family’s attorney, William H. “Billy” Murphy Jr., and her marriage to a city councilman.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Wasn't there a little money for political campaigns going back and forth too?

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The Wall wrote:
philip964 wrote:Seems to be a political proscution, on the surface.

If I was a police officer in Baltimore I'd see if there were openings in Texas.
Funny you should mention this. I was thinking the same thing tonight. Seems like other than the union the city is throwing them under the van.
I'm generally not a big fan of Unions. In this case I see why police officers want to be represented by a Union.

Do you think the next Baltimore Police Cadet class will have a lot of African American women in it.

Or in two years the mayor will do public service announcements encouraging young African American women to join the police force.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://news.yahoo.com/across-country-po ... 05364.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect I will be less safe when I am required to go to the Northeast or California.

jmra

Post by jmra »

philip964 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/across-country-po ... 05364.html

I suspect I will be less safe when I am required to go to the Northeast or California.
Take that article and substitute the word "teacher" everywhere you see "police" and you have the reason for the current state of public schools. Teachers have been there, done that.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LSUTiger »

Officers indicted......

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/baltim ... -indicted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If all the officers are acquitted of the homicide charges, is it still a homicide?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

C-dub wrote:If all the officers are acquitted of the homicide charges, is it still a homicide?
YES!

What degree? Maybe they didn't plan on killing him but it would appear that's what they succeeded in doing.

Here is a full list of charges, as released by the Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City. Numbers in parentheses are maximum sentences if there is a conviction.

Officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr.

1) Second-degree depraved heart murder (30 yrs.)

2) Manslaughter (involuntary) (10 yrs.)

3) Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)

4) Manslaughter by vehicle (gross negligence) (10 yrs.)

5) Manslaughter by vehicle (criminal negligence) (3 yrs.)

6) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

7) Reckless endangerment (5 yrs.)

Officer William G. Porter

1) Manslaughter (involuntary) (10 yrs.)

2) Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)

3) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

4) Reckless endangerment (5 yrs.)

Lt. Brian W. Rice

4) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

5) Reckless endangerment (5 yrs.)

Officer Edward M. Nero

1) Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)

2) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

Officer Garrett E. Miller

1) Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)

2) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

Sgt. Alicia D. White

Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dragonfighter »

All a homicide is a finding where a death was caused by the actions or inactions of another. So whether criminality is ultimately assigned or not, it's a homicide.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Dragonfighter wrote:All a homicide is a finding where a death was caused by the actions or inactions of another. So whether criminality is ultimately assigned or not, it's a homicide.
Well, that's my point or what I'm wondering. If it is determined that none of the actions or inactions of these officers were the cause of his death, is is still a homicide? Wouldn't it then become an unfortunate accident? I only ask from the standpoint that after an autopsy the coroner has ruled it a homicide could be a bit premature. Of course, maybe that is required before charging someone with a homicide in the first place. IDK :headscratch

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... urtem.html
June 10, 2015
Baltimore state's attorney Marilyn Mosby filed gag order motion in wrong court
By Thomas Lifson

Marilyn Mosby is well on her way to laughingstock status. Perhaps “Mosbying” will join “Harfing” in the Urban Dictionary soon. Chuck Ross of the Daily Caller reports:
Baltimore city state’s attorney Marilyn Mosby’s motion for a gag order in the Freddie Gray case was denied Monday because the prosecutor filed paperwork in the wrong court.

Mosby’s May 14 motion, filed in Baltimore’s circuit court, was intended to block witnesses, attorneys and police from speaking publicly about the Gray case. Six officers have been indicted on a total of 28 felony charges related to Gray’s April 12 arrest. The 25-year-old Gray died April 19. His death was ruled a homicide.

Judge Charles Peters slapped down Mosby’s motion, citing jurisdictional issues,The Baltimore Sun reported. The cases for the six officers were still on the district court’s docket when the motion was filed. The cases were only moved to the circuit court on May 21, after a grand jury indicted the officers.
Newly uncovered emails have revealed that Mosby had requested "an enhanced" law enforcement presence at the intersection where police first tried to apprehend Gray, 3 weeks before Gray's arrest, because it was known to be a high crime intersection with a lot of drug dealing going on. It may be that the police were, in their "enhanced" role, actually acting well within their authority when they apprehended Gray, and it is beginning to look like Mosby may be called as a witness for the defense as a result of her own incompetence. Furthermore, she can't be a prosecutor and a defense witness in the same case, and I can't imagine that the judge would allow her to sidestep testimony if called, so........
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So can requesting enhanced enforcement be consider part of this crime. Would she be an accessory?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote:So can requesting enhanced enforcement be consider part of this crime. Would she be an accessory?
I don't think so, but it DOES explain why the police might have been more aggressive in pursuing their suspect than otherwise. I gather than "enhanced presence" means they were loaded for bear..........at the prosecutor's request. The issue is that Mosby may be called as a defense witness by defense counsel, to explain that this more aggressive "leaning forward" police presence was at HER request, and NOT because these cops are criminally inclined. If she is called as a defense witness - and I don't see why she couldn't be (you lawyers, help me out here) - then she has a conflict of interest where she is trying to prosecute the person on whose behalf she is appearing as a witness. No judge is going to allow that, so my take is that there would be only one of two choices the judge could make: 1) to tell Mosby to recuse herself from the prosecution and appear as a witness for the defense; or 2) to deny the defendants the right to question a witness before the court for testimony that may be exculpatory. I don't see a judge denying a defendant the right to call a material witness. doing that.......but maybe I'm naive.

Mosby has made a fatal mistake in her strategy........ in addition to be dumb enough to file her motions to issue gag orders in the wrong court...... and she's either going to have to drop the charges, or testify on behalf of the defendants.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “The Crime Blotter”