Stealing packages from mailbox

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TheCytochromeC
Posts in topic: 3

Stealing packages from mailbox

Post by TheCytochromeC »

So I've been burned on two packages recently. Isn't there a term used to refer to people who follow delivery vehicles and take packages, other than select expletives? :mad5

Anyways, I'm thinking of setting up CCTV any advice would be appreciated.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stealing packages from mailbox

Post by oohrah »

have you reported the the USPS? Federal offence. deer camera?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

oohrah wrote:have you reported the the USPS? Federal offence. deer camera?
They were the ones who verified the package was delivered. Upon inquiring what actions could be taken, the USPS employee brushed it off as a common occurrence with no form of resolution.

I like the deer camera idea.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I had this happen over Christmas with a $500 Iphone. It was sent USPS with no declared value or signature confirmation. USPS marked it as "delivered" - which causes a problem for filing a non-delivery claim. And that iphone was the only piece of mail that was taken, so something is amiss.

Apparently USPS may mark items as "delivered" before they're put in the mailbox. My guess is upon loading. That means there is a great window of opportunity where your mail is "delivered" but not actually picked up by you.

We've got a camera on the mailbox, but it was down that one day (reconfiguring the network). We checked with the "carrier" and he/she indicated that it WAS dropped off... Camera is the only thing you can really do.

Target1911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Target1911 »

I have the NIGHT OWL system. $300 at Walmart. Swann is good too.
Mine came with 4 cams but will take up to 8. Can be viewed online and from your phone. Well worth the piece of mind.
I set up 2 inside covering 3 entry doors...one on the front porch
2 on the front of the house.
With how I had them on the outside I could see three of the houses across the street and 90% of my front yard.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Also look into the DROP CAMS systems. A little more expensive to outfit a house but they work GREAT.....can me moved around as needed and the audio has awesome range. We used these in the tow trucks at one of the companies I worked for.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

If it happened more than once, I would almost suspect a neighbor or neighbor's kid rather than a random person following the truck.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Post office box. Or have packages delivered to office if that is possible.

I ran into this in California, transient types made regular runs down the road I lived on looking for anything that looked like it had value. They'd steal anything that looked like a check, packages, whatever. I got a PO box.

Currently I get almost all packages thru UPS (Amazon!) and have delivered to my office, and I am lucky that I can do so.

If neither of those are options, good luck with the cameras.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

MechAg94 wrote:If it happened more than once, I would almost suspect a neighbor or neighbor's kid rather than a random person following the truck.
Both packages were delivered around the same time period so it's likely it was a snatch of both parcels simultaneously.

One package was a new CC holster and the other was a box of ACRAGLASS GEL. I hope it put a second thought into their head when they opened them, as to whether or not they should steal me a visit again.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

MechAg94 wrote:If it happened more than once, I would almost suspect a neighbor or neighbor's kid rather than a random person following the truck.
Well, there is another constant - not that any federal employees would ever do anything illegal mind you...

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

reading this as I am waiting on a package. :waiting:
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

oohrah wrote:have you reported the the USPS? Federal offence. deer camera?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news...BUT....a mail carrier backed out of our driveway at high speed in a Govt. Jeep and destroyed 10 feet of fence. We videoed him admitting he hit it and the clearly visible damage on the rear of the vehicle. We called the Post Master in our city, who came out and looked at the damage, tire tracks, and video. Videoed again her stating "I'll call an adjuster and get the repairs made."

That was a year ago. Never heard a peep, despite repeated calls. Don't call the USPS, call your U.S. Representative or Senators. You'll get better results.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Bodes ill for the so-called SmartPost option that many are using these days, where FedEx (and UPS too I believe) will deliver your package to the USPS which does the final delivery.

All kinds of problems with this, such that I wish e.g. Amazon would let you select the shipping method, even if FedEx delivery to your door costs more...

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

ScooterSissy wrote:
Well, there is another constant - not that any federal employees would ever do anything illegal mind you...
As several packages / letters we have sent to my in-laws have arrived empty, with USPS saying, "It was damaged in-transit," I can attest to this. They're about as bad as TSA and airline baggage-handlers: if it looks like it contains something the handler may want, they -will- open it and steal the contents. I wouldn't blame the drivers who actually make the deliveries; all of the stuff that's been ripped open and stolen from in our cases has had the official-looking "damaged in transit" stickers affixed, indicating the contents were stolen at an actual post office or hub.

I -would- like to have seen the thief's face, though, when he stole a package of rocks! My father-in-law is a rock-hound, and we sent him some "samples" from the desert southwest. None were of any value at all.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Booby traps sound like an increasingly better idea......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “The Crime Blotter”