Church shooting Charleston SC

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

jmra
Posts in topic: 22

Re: Church shooting Charleston SC

Post by jmra »

ScooterSissy wrote:
Rachel Martin wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ShootDontTalk wrote:Something else to consider: The pastor of this church, who was killed, is a State Legislator in S.C.
And he voted against concealed-carry. Eight of his church members who might be alive if he had expressly allowed members to carry handguns in church are dead.

Chas.

That's some serious victim-blaming, sir. Isn't the murderer in fact the one to blame for the nine dead folks being dead? (I realize that may not fit your agenda, to put the blame squarely where it belongs - at the feet of a guy who used a gun to kill nine innocents in a house of worship - but try for some accuracy. You demean your cause otherwise, I feel.)
I suggest you reread the portion you quoted. He didn't blame the victims. He stated (accurately) that eight of the church members might be alive if the pastor had allowed members to carry handguns.

Our church not only allows handguns, but after the Wedgewood shooting (a few miles from our church), they encouraged members with a CHL to carry in church. A few years back, they even offered a CHL class at the church.

There is no way to stop all evil. If someone wants to kill, they will get a gun and kill. However, I suspect that someone with evil intent will find themselves stopped very quickly at our church, and others like it that allow members to defend themselves.
:iagree:
It is important to note that concealed carry in churches in SC is allowed with authorization from church leadership. This girl Pastor was opposed to church carry as evidenced by his votes as a politician.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77
Posts in topic: 13

Post by VMI77 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Mikesurf111.

No one in their right mind loves massacres, or the loss of innocent life. No one on this Forum that I know of loves massacres or the loss of innocent life. We all care greatly for each life around us, and choose to protect those lives as we can with the tools available to us, including locks on our doors, alarms, our pet dogs, knives, guns, table lamps or whatever else may help us prevail over an imminent threat. To us, it is the height of lunacy to assume that violence will never come our way (even in a church, as this most current event illustrates) and therefore not be prepared to face it if it ever does. Each of us prays that we are never forced to face a violent attacker, but we also pray that we are prepared and able to stop the attack if it occurs. I pray also that you and your family similarly never come face-to-face with an attacker -- I fear that your un-thinking vitriol will hold them at bay but a short while.

The key is the phase no one in their right mind. I submit to you that the left and people like this Mike are not in their right mind....as evidenced by what he posted. I also think he made it pretty clear that he wants more murders like this one to occur in order to advance his agenda. Mike and his ilk WANT people to be defenseless....there is no other possible interpretation of their advocacy....not even ignorance or stupidity.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

EHooper02
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EHooper02 »

I really only have one question:

If what he said wasn't wrong, why has it been deleted and you have been left to defend his statement?

Understand your board is probably under a lot of fire right now, and I'm certainly not trying to add to that. Just something to think about, I feel.

jmra

Post by jmra »

RonW956 wrote:I dont think anything is going to get solved by having this debate & discussion on a public forum, if anything all it does is feed the trolls...

All I know is Gun free zones dont work. They never did. The Luby's massacre in Kileen TX back in '91 is more proof than what anyone needs that gun free zones dont work... Begging for your life, doesnt work if someone is intent on killing. It's a shame that no one was carrying. I'm not even sure if they were permitted to carry but from what I've seen on the news, no. CC is not permited at the church. At least give the people a chance to fight for their god given right to life, people begging the shooter to stop obviously did'nt work. Screw that. If I walk into a business that has a 30.06 sign posted, I respectfully turn around & go elsewhere...
Church carry is allowed in SC with authorization of the church leadership. As usual the MSM either doesn't know what they are talking about or they don't care about reporting the truth.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

It's pretty funny that a new member shows up defending Mike right after Mike gets booted. Lots of trolls today or maybe just one.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TVGuy »

jmra wrote:It's pretty funny that a new member shows up defending Mike right after Mike gets booted. Lots of trolls today or maybe just one.
Considering that Google is listing over 10,000 articles related to this, I doubt it's just one.

jmra

Post by jmra »

TVGuy wrote:
jmra wrote:It's pretty funny that a new member shows up defending Mike right after Mike gets booted. Lots of trolls today or maybe just one.
Considering that Google is listing over 10,000 articles related to this, I doubt it's just one.
You're probably right.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

suthdj
Posts in topic: 3

Post by suthdj »

Washington post has an story saying NRA board member blames Pastor they are talking about a comment Charles made here and have a copy of the post on the page I cant copy and paste for some reason sorry. So watch what we say as they are watching and waiting to twist anything they can.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

jmra

Post by jmra »

suthdj wrote:Washington post has an story saying NRA board member blames Pastor they are talking about a comment Charles made here and have a copy of the post on the page I cant copy and paste for some reason sorry. So watch what we say as they are watching and waiting to twist anything they can.
Yep. Some blogger posted it out of context and it's taken off from there.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jim Beaux »

Rachel Martin wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ShootDontTalk wrote:Something else to consider: The pastor of this church, who was killed, is a State Legislator in S.C.
And he voted against concealed-carry. Eight of his church members who might be alive if he had expressly allowed members to carry handguns in church are dead.

Chas.

That's some serious victim-blaming, sir. Isn't the murderer in fact the one to blame for the nine dead folks being dead? (I realize that may not fit your agenda, to put the blame squarely where it belongs - at the feet of a guy who used a gun to kill nine innocents in a house of worship - but try for some accuracy. You demean your cause otherwise, I feel.)
Rachel,

I appreciate your considerate manner and feel obligated to respond in kind.

In my line of work when we experience an incident / accident, we conduct "A Lessons Learned". The agenda is not to assign blame, but to determine what conditions contributed to the event & what preventative measures we can logistically implement.

Lessons Learned has taught that we cannot eliminate all threats, but it has led us to do tasks in a safer manner.

In the case of this massacre, an event that is a result of a person breaking the law, just how can another law prevent a future occurrence?

I speak for the forum in welcoming you to stay and interact with us. You will find us to be a respectful and thoughtful group that have put a lot of thought in protecting ourselves and family.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

jmra

Post by jmra »

AndyC wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
rp_photo wrote:I just read that he had a pending Felony. Wouldn't that make it illegal for him to posess a gun?
Until his conviction he is an accused not a felon
Surely the form 4473 for his background-check would have disqualified him?

[ Image ]
From what I understand the gun was given to him by his father as a birthday present.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RoyGBiv »

EHooper02 wrote:I really only have one question:

If what he said wasn't wrong, why has it been deleted and you have been left to defend his statement?

Understand your board is probably under a lot of fire right now, and I'm certainly not trying to add to that. Just something to think about, I feel.
I can't tell you why the post has been removed, but I can tell you that this shooting is the perfect example of the fallacy that is "gun control".

South Carolina law requires that permission be granted for a license holder to carry a gun into church. Law abiding people are disarmed by that law. Murderers are not. Passing more laws restricting where people can carry guns only affect those people who abide by the law. Murderers, in some cases, have found such off-limits places to be nothing more than a place where they can carry out murderous acts without fear of anyone being able to effectively defend themselves.

Nobody is to blame here, except the killer himself.

I choose not to be in places where I am required to disarm. I would not attend this church.
I don't have a crystal ball that tells me where I might run in to a crazed killer, so, I choose to remain prepared to defend myself at all times.

Welcome to the forum EHooper02. I think you'll find your considered opinions welcome here, even though we might disagree.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jim Beaux »

EHooper02 wrote:I really only have one question:

Civil discourse is acceptable, but posts that contain insults, diminutives & inflammatory language are not allowed.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Return to “The Crime Blotter”