Shooting at Oregon community college.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Shooting at Oregon community college.

Post by dale blanker »

VMI77 wrote:

Snip...

http://nypost.com/2013/02/14/the-truth- ... nd-checks/
On to Schumer’s second falsehood — the claim that checks have stopped 1.7 million prohibited sales. In fact, these were only “initial denials,” not people prevented from buying guns.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives dropped over 94 percent of those “initial denials” after preliminary reviews. Further review cleared at least a fifth of the other 6 percent.

Truth is, these government databases are rife with flaws. Remember the five times that the late Sen. Ted Kennedy missed flights because his name was on the anti-terror “no fly” list? By Sen. Schumer’s method of counting, that means the “no fly” list stopped five flights by terrorists.
:iagree: [sort of...]
Sure, the 60 Minute program reporting that I mentioned in an earlier posting emphasized the shortcomings of the FBI background checking database, mainly thanks to "garbage in" it as someone else commented.

Maybe you missed it, but further in the article you quote above is the conclusion "Expanded background checks might well be reasonable, but only if the current system is fixed." And Cornyn's bill might help.
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 27

Post by mojo84 »

I think it comes down to several factors including but not limited to removing God from schools and everyday life, breakdown of the traditional family, elimination of individual responsibility, no accountability, not willing to accept lower level jobs and the proliferation of the entitlement attitude.

Now I realize there are exceptions to everything and there are people that have overcome the above. However, they definitely make it more challenging.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Taypo »

mojo84 wrote:I think it comes down to several factors including but not limited to removing God from schools and everyday life, breakdown of the traditional family, elimination of individual responsibility, no accountability, not willing to accept lower level jobs and the proliferation of the entitlement attitude.

Now I realize there are exceptions to everything and there are people that have overcome the above. However, they definitely make it more challenging.
I'll agree with you on most of those points and add the elimination of corporal punishment to that list.

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VoiceofReason »

Taypo wrote:
Rex B wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Rex B wrote:"Law enforcement officials have said they recovered 14 firearms and spare ammunition magazines that were purchased legally either by Mr. Harper-Mercer, 26, or an unnamed relative."

What right does LEO have to confiscate all the mother's guns?
As the mother (facilitator?) of mass-murderer, I think her own life is in danger now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/mo ... .html?_r=0
Is this the same mother who knew he had mental problems and allowed him access to guns?
Of course, but the question was a serious one. Regardless of whether you or I or the State thinks she was irresponsible or negligent in giving a troubled youth access to firearms, is there existing law that enables the state to disarm a citizen in such a case?
Im no expert in Oregon law, but I'd guess they have a law in place to remove guns from irresponsible or negligent owners.
Who would you guess would make the decision that a gun owner was “irresponsible or negligent? Would the order to seize the guns involve a judge at some point?
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

philip964
Posts in topic: 15

Post by philip964 »

Taypo wrote:In those two cases, I'd certainly agree that it appears to be a bad combination.

It gets worse, she was a gun supporter and took him to the range to shoot.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/ ... 3Afacebook

Usually Nurses from my experience are anti gun.

philip964
Posts in topic: 15

Post by philip964 »

http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=/ph ... =331057672&

Really good article on gun free zones.

Suggests near the end that if guns are not a deterant to crime then homeowners would post signs saying their residences are gun free.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”