15 year armed standoff in Texas ends

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cirus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 15 year armed standoff in Texas ends

Post by cirus »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
"It wasn't worth it,” the sheriff said. “Joe Gray has been in prison out there himself, in my opinion, for 14 years."

It was justice served, the sheriff suggested, in a felony case that never went to court.
Interesting perspective.
I can see where he's coming from. I'm all for enforcing the law but at what cost? Depending on the crime is it worth other law enforcement possibly dying? Why didn't they just shut his utilities off? No water or electricity he would have came out eventually.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cirus wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
"It wasn't worth it,” the sheriff said. “Joe Gray has been in prison out there himself, in my opinion, for 14 years."

It was justice served, the sheriff suggested, in a felony case that never went to court.
Interesting perspective.
I can see where he's coming from. I'm all for enforcing the law but at what cost? Depending on the crime is it worth other law enforcement possibly dying? Why didn't they just shut his utilities off? No water or electricity he would have came out eventually.
47 acres is about the size of a large prison. He hasn't left the property in 15 years. Granted, it was probably more comfortable, and he had greater freedom of movement, but he still wasn't "free", even if his sentence was self imposed. And all for something that could have been available to him anyway if he had been willing to buy permission from the state.......

Obviously, with a temper like that, he might not be in possession of very strong conflict resolution and deescalation skills; but it also seems to me that 15 years of self imposed imprisonment is punishment enough for being a cranky old fart.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

drjoker wrote:Sheriff Nutt is an elected official. That's why he did not use Nazi tactics like Waco nor Ruby Ridge to get this guy. Notice how you are more likely to get crooked cops in jurisdictions where the Sheriff is not elected but hired. ...
All Sheriffs in the State of Texas are elected.... none are appointed, or "hired".
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

nightmare69 wrote:
Javier730 wrote::headscratch There had to be more to the story. This man broke the law (whether you agree he had the right to carry at the time) by assaulting an officer, locked himself up on his property where he had firepower and manpower to prevent law enforcement from getting him? This can not be the whole story...
This is a victory for the criminal and those who oppose no-knock warrants.
Yeah, there should be no knock warrants by the thousands because of this one guy. You think this will have ANY effect on the use of no knock warrants? Seriously?

I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said something to the effect that it's better for 10 guilty men to go free than for 1 innocent man to be punished. So, this one guy essentially self-incarcerated and thereby got away with something because he wasn't officially punished. How many innocent people have been killed in no knock raids at the wrong location because the police were sloppy and got the wrong address? More than one...that's for sure, including children, and including a baby in a crib maimed for life.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

cirus wrote:I can see where he's coming from. I'm all for enforcing the law but at what cost? Depending on the crime is it worth other law enforcement possibly dying? Why didn't they just shut his utilities off? No water or electricity he would have came out eventually.
They probably have well water, so that wouldn't work. But, you're right, the authorities could have had the electricity turned off, if it was that big of a deal.

But, both of the offenses (UCW and simple assault on a peace officer) being misdemeanors (IIRC), there was no need to spool up the DPS SWAT team and go in with guns blazing. Those warrants would still be over his head if he ever came off the property... this way, no one (Grey, his family, or LEOs) got hurt.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

I'm not sure what the offense was in 1999 but assault on a peace officer is a F/3.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

So is the place available? Sometimes the family could use a brake.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chuckybrown »

Richbirdhunter wrote:So is the place available? Sometimes the family could use a brake.
Sorry brother, but you do not know about that which you speak.

I know that sounds insulting, but I have first hand experience/knowledge of this situation.

Peace.
Last edited by chuckybrown on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckybrown

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I drove by that place one time about 12 years ago just to see what it looked like. Back then the county road was dirt and crossed cattle guards at property lines with no fences on either side. It's on the banks of the Trinity River. Lots of weird hand painted signs were hanging on the fence.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

chuckybrown wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So is the place available? Sometimes the family could use a brake.
Sorry brother, but you do not know about that which you speak.

I know that sounds insulting, but I have first hand experience/knowledge of this situation.

Peace.
It was just a joke, my wife wouldn't let be stay by myself for 15 years. Id never know when I was wrong
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chuckybrown »

All good!
Chuckybrown

Return to “The Crime Blotter”