MWAG in Walmart

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Smokey613
Posts in topic: 3

MWAG in Walmart

Post by Smokey613 »

This could have ended much worse. Great job by Lufkin PD.

Lufkin Police officers used a Taser on a shoplifting suspect three times after he pulled out a gun while being taken into custody at the Walmart store in Lufkin, according to a police department spokesperson.
The suspect, 31-year-old Matthew Haak, who was believed to be a Lufkin resident, was being charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest and theft, according to Jessica Pebsworth, the police department's public information officer.
Police responded to Walmart for a report of theft and found the 6-foot-3, 350-pound Haak in the women's clothing section talking to a loss prevention employee about shoplifted items he had just "returned," the police department stated in a media release Monday night.
"He denied stealing anything, but then came clean and offered to give the money back," the release stated. "He initially seemed cooperative in following Cpl. Randy Brooks, Officer Ethan Edwards and the store employee to the front office. While rounding the jewelry counter, Edwards noticed Haak reaching into his pants pocket. Edwards ordered Haak to stop, but he refused.
"After being pinned against the jewelry counter, Haak continued to struggle and reach deeper into his pocket, so Brooks drew his Taser and stung the man on the back of his arm without deploying the Taser’s prongs. Haak then broke free and turned to face Brooks, pulling a Talon .380 from his pocket. Brooks yelled 'gun' and deployed his Taser prongs, striking Haak in the chest and stomach.
"Haak fell backward to the ground, taking Edwards with him. When Haak reached for the gun’s slide and attempted to rack it, Edwards drew his weapon. Officer Jeremy Nettles, who had just arrived, got on top of Haak and pulled at his right arm in an attempt to free the weapon from Haak’s grip. The officers yelled at Haak to drop the gun, but he did not. After being stunned a second time, Haak dropped the pistol, but continued with to struggle. Following a third round from the Taser, Haak stopped fighting and allowed the officers to handcuff."
A shopper said she was in the self-checkout line when people started yelling for everyone to clear out, then more police officers began running into the store.
Police took Haak to CHI St. Luke's Health Memorial to have the Taser prongs removed before they took him to the Angelina County Jail, according to Pebsworth.
The officers estimated that there were roughly 50 people in the immediate area during the struggle, including two employees working behind the jewelry counter, according to the LPD release.
Assistant Police Chief David Thomas said he was thankful no one was injured during the incident.
"Thanks to the officers’ training and confidence in their skills, they were able to take the suspect into custody with no injuries to them or any witnesses,” Thomas said in the release.

Haak does not possess a handgun license, according to the police department.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: MWAG in Walmart

Post by joe817 »

Wow! That guy is lucky to be alive! :shock: The responding officers showed an incredible amount of restraint. That could have gone south in a hurry.

6'3" and 350 lbs? That guy was a mountain of a man! Good post Smokey! Thanks! :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

joe817 wrote:Wow! That guy is lucky to be alive! :shock: The responding officers showed an incredible amount of restraint. That could have gone south in a hurry.
Yes. That guy was a good candidate for being introduced to the concept of "contact shot to the head."
USAF 1982-2005

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Reminds me of another "monstrously large" criminal who while being hailed as innocent by the fawning media, was a bully who'd gotten away with bullying crimes for quite some time (like not paying for his goods and simply walking away without paying, because who'd challenge him...) and finally paid for his his criminal actions by L.E.

L.E. who then unfairly suffered for doing his job...

Just because you're some huge, intimidating person, doesn't mean "your day" won't come...you will be reckoned with one day.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Well mountain of a man really depends on how much is fat. I'm 6'2" and 330lbs. I can throw a sack of range cubes or a hay bail when I need to, but it has been a long time since I've been in good shape.
NRA Benefactor Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Fair enough.

How about if you're 19, in good shape and very, very large, like 300 plus with muscle and you act like the world is yours for the taking, because whose going to stop you?

A 45/50 plus year old, 150 lb clerk?

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Taser sounded pretty ineffective to me.
Someone that big, who is armed, lethal force would have been my first option had I been Lufkin PD.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Abraham wrote:Fair enough.

How about if you're 19, in good shape and very, very large, like 300 plus with muscle and you act like the world is yours for the taking, because whose going to stop you?

I wasn't saying the guy wasn't a threat. Just that height and weight can be deceptive as to being a mountain of a man. A NFL offensive line man is far more of a mountain than I am, regardless of how our height and weight compare. I'm far closer to that guy than many people are and I would have probably had to shoot him. Those are two tough officers and they showed a level of restraint that is just unreal. I'm glad the officers, employees, and shoppers weren't hurt. I think it is great they got the guy without shooting him, but I wouldn't have been upset if it had happened either. You pull a gun on the police you are taking your life into your hands; glad the officers didn't have to deal with that aftermath.
NRA Benefactor Member

howdy

Post by howdy »

(sarcasm alert) People, people....think of the children. If Walmart banned guns this would not have happened!!! :banghead:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:Fair enough.

Whats the old saying? "God created man, but Sam Colt made them equal". Or something like that.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

I keep wondering why they didn't shoot him. Was it because they were inside the store and didn't want to take a chance on hitting innocent bystanders?

Nowadays it seems pretty standard that if you pull a gun on the police you better get ready for a lot of lead headed your way.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Yes, the LEO's considered civilians casualties.

This giant piece of human waste, I hope, serves a long time in prison, where he'll get to be the man, until someone decides otherwise...

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

tomtexan wrote:I keep wondering why they didn't shoot him. Was it because they were inside the store and didn't want to take a chance on hitting innocent bystanders?

Nowadays it seems pretty standard that if you pull a gun on the police you better get ready for a lot of lead headed your way.
Despite the media narrative, most officers work really hard to find ways to resolve situations without shooting people.

The officers in this case went far above and beyond in taking risks to avoid shooting this subject.

Many would not have used a taser when confronted with a gun, but the Lufkin officers clearly made the right decision in this case because the final result was the best one possible.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

Excaliber wrote:
tomtexan wrote:I keep wondering why they didn't shoot him. Was it because they were inside the store and didn't want to take a chance on hitting innocent bystanders?

Despite the media narrative, most officers work really hard to find ways to resolve situations without shooting people.

The officers in this case went far above and beyond in taking risks to avoid shooting this subject.

Many would not have used a taser when confronted with a gun, but the Lufkin officers clearly made the right decision in this case because the final result was the best one possible.
My guess is this:
"Haak fell backward to the ground, taking Edwards with him..."
When Edwards tazed Haak, both fell. I'm not a LEO, but if I've got a suspect on the ground and another LEO on him, am I really going to try to shoot the suspect and risk hitting my fellow LEO?

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

MikeyJ wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

My guess is this:
"Haak fell backward to the ground, taking Edwards with him..."
When Edwards tazed Haak, both fell. I'm not a LEO, but if I've got a suspect on the ground and another LEO on him, am I really going to try to shoot the suspect and risk hitting my fellow LEO?
What may have happened is that the officer who was already holding the taser fired that because it was already in his hand and drawing on an already drawn gun is usually a losing proposition. When both the suspect and the other officer went down to the ground and struggled, using a firearm would have risked hitting the officer as well so the taser was the best solution.

I'm just glad that both officers survived what could easily have been a very tragic situation.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”