MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 7

MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/natio ... ks-outrage

CHL disclosed he was armed during traffic stop for a broken tail light. Asked for his license, shot and killed as he reached for his wallet. Woman and small child in the car. Woman live streamed his death on Facebook
Last edited by philip964 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

TresHuevos
Posts in topic: 1

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by TresHuevos »

I really hope that there is another side to this story. If not, it looks bad.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

JagsfanNtexas

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by JagsfanNtexas »

If everything occurred as it's being portrayed, that officer will probably go down for manslaughter.

usurp31

Post by usurp31 »

It will be interesting to see if there are any further developments and/or information but for now; man, it looks bad.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Best thing to do in my opinion is hand your chl along with your drivers license. Not sure if that would of changed the outcome though.
Reynolds can be heard saying on video that the officer "asked him for license and registration. He told him that it was in his wallet but he had a pistol on him because he's licensed to carry. The officer said, 'Don't move.' As he was putting his hands back up, the officer shot him in the arm four or five times."
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

parabelum
Posts in topic: 15

Post by parabelum »

This is not good.

Probably a nervous nelly officer who got little too twitchy here.

Prayers for the family, especially the children.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

[Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton jump on their phones to find the next flight from Baton Rouge to Minnesota.]
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

Tragic.

I do as much as I can during traffic stops to put the officer at ease and feel safe.

If its night, I turn on my dome light and hang one hand out the window and put the other on the wheel. I always do any document gathering before he approaches and try to have insurance out and my DL and LTC in hand or on my dash. Its almost a given they will want to see your ID so why wait until he is standing over you with a gun on his hip to go reaching in pockets and glove boxes?

I will wait to see if more details emerge. I hope an innocent, compliant man wasn't unjustifiably killed.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 7

Post by philip964 »

AJSully421 wrote:[Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton jump on their phones to find the next flight from Baton Rouge to Minnesota.]
Jesse and Al may have something to actually complain about with this one.

Unlike the videotaped police shooting the day before with this one there is no mention of the dead man being combative or confrontational. So in this case was the mans race a factor or was it the fact he was a CHL.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

JagsfanNtexas wrote:If everything occurred as it's being portrayed, that officer will probably go down for manslaughter.
Why? He didn't "intend" to do anything wrong.

(Sadly, a serious question)
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Dave2 wrote:
JagsfanNtexas wrote:If everything occurred as it's being portrayed, that officer will probably go down for manslaughter.

You don't know that.

I agree with philip964. Race does appear to be a factor here. It is what it is.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

parabelum wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

You don't know that.

I agree, but the DoJ just established a pretty high bar for actually getting charged, and I don't think the evidence we've seen is strong enough. For the new standard, that is, not for what the standard should be.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Dave2 wrote:
parabelum wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

You don't know that.

I agree, but the DoJ just established a pretty high bar for actually getting charged, and I don't think the evidence we've seen is strong enough. For the new standard, that is, not for what the standard should be.
Oh yes, the DoJ standards.... :banghead:

I'm with you now....

Txtension
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Txtension »

AJSully421 wrote:[Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton jump on their phones to find the next flight from Baton Rouge to Minnesota.]
I read forums all over the 'net, and sometimes, posts like this, here, make me double check the URL to make sure I am -here- and not in a storm cloud.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Reminds me somewhat of a traffic stop in the news a couple years ago in South Carolina. A trooper stopped a driver at a convience store parking lot for no seat belt and asked for his license. The driver was already out of the vehicle and had to reach back into his vehicle to retrieve his ID. The trooper started firing as soon as the driver turned to reach for his ID. A dash cam was in the LEO's car and recorded the entire stop. The trooper described the driver as "highly aggressive, being belligerent and and ready to attack me from the second I initiated the traffic stop," the video shows the driver being polite, and complying with the trooper's request. The trooper told investigators, the driver lunged into his vehicle and came back out with "his arms locked toward me and with what appeared to be an unknown black weapon in his hand. I believed it to be a pistol." The trooper also told investigators that he was unsure if the driver was "actively shooting at me" during the incident, according to his statement. The truth is, there was no weapon. The driver was hit in the hip and survived. The trooper either made up the story and claimed he was in fear of his life, OR he has severe mental problems. His attorney claims he has PTSD and is taking medication. (and he was on the street??)

The sad part is, an incident like in Minnesota could happen to us, here as CHL holders. Our LEO's seem to be professional and well aquatinted with the carry laws in Texas. Have no doubt, there are nervous nellies here just like the officers in S.C. and MN. If you get stopped, be extremely careful.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Return to “The Crime Blotter”