Attempt to break into my truck

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Attempt to break into my truck

Post by jb2012 »

Woke up this morning to a giant hole in my door handle, where someone punched out the lock cylinder. They didn't get in for some reason, but it made me glad that I always take my gun inside. Glad I didn't hear them trying to also..

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Attempt to break into my truck

Post by imkopaka »

Sounds like everyone got a little lucky today. You're lucky they were unable to get in and they're lucky you didn't catch them!
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

allisji

Post by allisji »

any idea what they may have been after?

Was there anything valuable in sight? Or just looking to check the consoles for cash maybe... Do you live near campus? Maybe it was just some amateur who was practicing his technique. Or some drunk trying something that he had heard about. If he really wanted in, wouldn't he just smash the glass, then grab and dash? That seems to be what people do in Houston.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

dlh

Post by dlh »

Bums me out that burglary of a vehicle is just a Class A misdemeanor offense in Texas. In my opinion it should be a felony.

Check out Section 30.04 of the Texas Penal Code for those interested in the general subject of burglaries of vehicles.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

If you are an NRA member make sure you activate the firearms insurance. If you are not an NRA member click the link in my signature line and join.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You're lucky. My truck, they smashed the passenger glass, ripped out the ignition switch, but didn't get anywhere.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jb2012 »

imkopaka wrote:Sounds like everyone got a little lucky today. You're lucky they were unable to get in and they're lucky you didn't catch them!
Absolutely!
allisji wrote:any idea what they may have been after?

Was there anything valuable in sight? Or just looking to check the consoles for cash maybe... Do you live near campus? Maybe it was just some amateur who was practicing his technique. Or some drunk trying something that he had heard about. If he really wanted in, wouldn't he just smash the glass, then grab and dash? That seems to be what people do in Houston.
Well I have my programmer in a mount on my dash, and I'm sure my stereo was also a target (along with the speakers under the backseat). Other than that there isn't much of value. Surprisingly they didn't touch my toolbox? I live a few miles from campus, but my apartment complex was built in a semi shady area to begin with. I'm guessing an amateur since all of my windows stayed in tact.
dlh wrote:Bums me out that burglary of a vehicle is just a Class A misdemeanor offense in Texas. In my opinion it should be a felony.

Check out Section 30.04 of the Texas Penal Code for those interested in the general subject of burglaries of vehicles.
I agree, unfortunately in current society the law works for the criminals. I'm sure there are plenty of cases where those class A misdemeanors even get dropped down to class C.
oohrah wrote:You're lucky. My truck, they smashed the passenger glass, ripped out the ignition switch, but didn't get anywhere.
haha my transmission just went out, I WISH they would have just stolen it! hahaha

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I live out in the county, sheriff's office is going to be 20 to 30 minutes getting here, any activity outside the terriers will hear it, if I had to go out after dark when they alert, my big dogs are going out with me, the pit, the sheperd and my big lab, they would know they picked the wrong truck on the wrong property
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “The Crime Blotter”