While Showering, West Houston Woman Realizes Burglar is in Home

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: While Showering, West Houston Woman Realizes Burglar is in Home

Post by Lynyrd »

mr1337 wrote:I don't understand how people in 2016 can just not have an alarm system. It's $15 a month that buys you a whole lot of peace of mind.
Nothing against you sir, but where I live they are utterly useless. The nearest house is 1/2 mile away. No city police, because there is no city. Sheriff department is 30 miles away. Peace of mind out here comes from being self reliant, and depending on your neighbors. Any of my neighbors would be here in two minutes, well armed, if I called them. And they would bring others. As would I for them.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

Not sure about Ryan's pups, but all the other ones mentioned here are what I would call small to medium size dogs. Regardless of the size of the dogs they do have one downside. Unlike a firearm, you have to reload them every day whether you use them or not.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mr1337 »

Lynyrd wrote:
mr1337 wrote:I don't understand how people in 2016 can just not have an alarm system. It's $15 a month that buys you a whole lot of peace of mind.
Nothing against you sir, but where I live they are utterly useless. The nearest house is 1/2 mile away. No city police, because there is no city. Sheriff department is 30 miles away. Peace of mind out here comes from being self reliant, and depending on your neighbors. Any of my neighbors would be here in two minutes, well armed, if I called them. And they would bring others. As would I for them.
Primary use for my alarm is to alert me of an intruder. I'm under no illusion that a cop isn't going to show up in time to deal with the threat. That's just a secondary bonus feature.

And if you don't care about the secondary bonus feature, you can get a non-monitored alarm that costs you $0/mo after your initial investment in the system.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

On the other subject, I applaud the woman's eagerness to get a gun AND get training, but I think she should have gotten training first and got a feel for how a couple different guns work for her. But that is just a nit pick. She is already way ahead of a lot of people.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

gthaustex wrote:Said burglar left in a white Mercedes that was backed into the driveway....

I guess crime does pay in his case?? :headscratch
this got me thinking as well
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

vjallen75 wrote:Since are all talking about dogs, I just got a puppy Belgian Malinois He's about 6 months old now. Sweet dog, but I don't know how he would take to an intruder in the house (Good thing to bring up to the wife). Gotta love the deterrent of having a rather large dog, he's about 40lbs and counting.

I have to throw out some praise to the lady who decided to take actions into her own hand by not only going out to buy a firearm but going to learn how to use one as well. :thumbs2:

:thewave
The good news is the malinois will be quite protective.

The bad news is that likely won't start until about the two year mark.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Excaliber wrote:

Titus, my Malinois, is a high energy dog. If I don't take him on at least two walks a day he becomes stubborn.

He is so gentle I could never see him becoming aggressive towards anyone. this is good to know that after 2 years he will become protective.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

If I am home alone, I always set the alarm system before getting into the shower. It's just been my practice for the past decade. My wife does the same thing. We have 2 dogs but they stay out most of the time, weather permitting.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

3dfxMM wrote:Not sure about Ryan's pups, but all the other ones mentioned here are what I would call small to medium size dogs. Regardless of the size of the dogs they do have one downside. Unlike a firearm, you have to reload them every day whether you use them or not.
"rlol"
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

vjallen75 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Titus, my Malinois, is a high energy dog. If I don't take him on at least two walks a day he becomes stubborn.

He is so gentle I could never see him becoming aggressive towards anyone. this is good to know that after 2 years he will become protective.
I have a Belgian Shepherd (a version of a malinois) that was the same way. I had almost given up on her having any protective instinct when she hit the two year mark and all that changed.

She is still very gentle with the family and friends but very alert and protective as well.

Strangers have a healthy respect for her bark backed up by an all black 70 pound frame.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Smokey613 wrote:
If I am home alone, I always set the alarm system before getting into the shower. It's just been my practice for the past decade. My wife does the same thing. We have 2 dogs but they stay out most of the time, weather permitting.
I keep it on all the time that I'm home or away. Only exemption is if we're hosting friends that will be coming and going. The only thing worse than someone breaking in when no one is home is someone breaking in when one of us is home.

Recently got a home automation system set up that ties into my security system. Got it set up to set the system on ARM-HOME at a certain time every day just in case we forget to when we get home.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

:cup: If they saw me in the shower they'd take off running terrified anyway begging for mercy.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”