TX: SMU PD investigate reported sexual assault

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 3

TX: SMU PD investigate reported sexual assault

Post by TexasTornado »

http://www.fox4news.com/news/202809587-story

This is part of why SMU is no longer my top choice of grad schools. I refuse to be an unarmed victim.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: SMU PD investigate reported sexual assault

Post by Lynyrd »

The student reported to the campus police department that she was sexually assaulted at a residence hall at 6210 Hillcrest Ave. by two men between 11:30 p.m. and 12 a.m. on Sunday.

Both men, one of whom is an SMU student, have been identified and have been contacted by SMU Police.
I guess I'm too old fashioned to understand. Contacted by SMU Police? So what? They don't believe the woman?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

They may believe her, but may have a policy to handle it with the school first? I'm not really sure how they go about investigating within a campus police unit. Personally if I were her I'd have filled the accusation with DPD.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Or University Park PD more likely, The prosecuting authority is going to be Dallas County in any case and I sure can't see any PD burying a felony investigation in some idiotic school disciplinary proceeding, unless the accused was a star athlete... :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

ScottDLS wrote:Or University Park PD more likely, The prosecuting authority is going to be Dallas County in any case and I sure can't see any PD burying a felony investigation in some idiotic school disciplinary proceeding, unless the accused was a star athlete... :mad5
I hope she's 21 and can make the case that she could have protected herself if they'd opted into campus carry.

NRA Lifetime Member

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 2

Post by vjallen75 »

Lynyrd wrote:
The student reported to the campus police department that she was sexually assaulted at a residence hall at 6210 Hillcrest Ave. by two men between 11:30 p.m. and 12 a.m. on Sunday.

Both men, one of whom is an SMU student, have been identified and have been contacted by SMU Police.
I guess I'm too old fashioned to understand. Contacted by SMU Police? So what? They don't believe the woman?
My thoughts exactly, if this happens outside of campus the two men would be behind bars.

The fact that they are not.. words cannot explain :banghead: :mad5
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

vjallen75 wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:

My thoughts exactly, if this happens outside of campus the two men would be behind bars.

Because sometimes women lie and an accusation without evidence should not be enough to jail someone. One of my college friends was accused of sexually assaulting another student at an off campus party. Investigations by the local and school PD cleared him of any wrong doing after concluding that he had left hours before the girl claimed anything happened. Anyone want to take a guess as to what disciplinary actions the girl received for filing a false report? None at all.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

jkurtz wrote:
vjallen75 wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:

Because sometimes women lie and an accusation without evidence should not be enough to jail someone. One of my college friends was accused of sexually assaulting another student at an off campus party. Investigations by the local and school PD cleared him of any wrong doing after concluding that he had left hours before the girl claimed anything happened. Anyone want to take a guess as to what disciplinary actions the girl received for filing a false report? None at all.
:iagree: I had a long time employee reported for domestic violence by his wife seven times, and would never show up to his court date. His brother, kids and even her parents supported Manny and told the Cops that the accusations were false, After the seventh time of hauling him and his wife being a no show, the judge instructed the Cops to leave him alone, He finally divorced the crazy witch and got full custody of the kids with her parents help.

Remember the false accusation in the Rolling Stone?

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I do not know if law or procedure has changed but 15 years ago, my son had his truck tires stolen on campus, he caught the thieves as they finished and reported it to campus police. They said they would not assign a case # until they investigated. I told him to call the Sheriff's dept. as they have jurisdiction in the whole county, no matter who had the primary jurisdictional boundary the crime happened in, as long it is with in the county.
He called the campus police to see if they had issued a case # yet. They told him to wait a couple of days, he then told them of his plans and they immediately and begrudgingly issued him a case #.
Crime on campus does not statistically exist without a case #.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 2

Post by vjallen75 »

WTR wrote:
jkurtz wrote:Because sometimes women lie and an accusation without evidence should not be enough to jail someone. One of my college friends was accused of sexually assaulting another student at an off campus party. Investigations by the local and school PD cleared him of any wrong doing after concluding that he had left hours before the girl claimed anything happened. Anyone want to take a guess as to what disciplinary actions the girl received for filing a false report? None at all.
:iagree: I had a long time employee reported for domestic violence by his wife seven times, and would never show up to his court date. His brother, kids and even her parents supported Manny and told the Cops that the accusations were false, After the seventh time of hauling him and his wife being a no show, the judge instructed the Cops to leave him alone, He finally divorced the crazy witch and got full custody of the kids with her parents help.

Remember the false accusation in the Rolling Stone?
I guess I should rephrase my frustration, why is SMU PD only "contacting" the men in question. I am in no way passing judgment before trial. In the story with your friend about being accused of DV, in those times did your friend not go to jail or at least be detained. I am sure I should be more upset with the way the story was reported.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”