Shooting Situation at Rolling Oaks Mall San Antonio

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Shooting Situation at Rolling Oaks Mall San Antonio

Post by bblhd672 »

longhorn86 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Frankie wrote:This is my local mall. Me and the family frequent it.
The mall map shows Kay's Jewelry on the upper level by the food court, is that correct?

Is this Kay's location one with doors that you go into the store, or the type that is open to the mall with pull down metal doors?

I also see on the mall map that there are two other jewelry stores right there on the food court. So the question is, why Kay's and not one of the other two?

After studying the mall layout on a map, strategically speaking, this would be the best target for the robbers. It is on the upper level, but on the back side of the mall. The back side upper level is actually on ground level and with a mall exit up there. Years ago, there was a movie theater in that area of the mall. It would be a quick in and out job with an easy escape route on back side of mall away from all of the incoming traffic on the front side. They would have an clear path from there out to the Loop 1604 access road avoiding all of the traffic lights in the main intersection leading to the mall.
Looking at Google street view, I can see what you are talking about. Yes, it does make it easy in/out.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

longhorn86 wrote:Mall manager is quoted as saying that they maintain a seperate code of conduct when it comes to weapons on premises and it is clearly posted.
The mall's general manager, Dustin Christensen, said in a statement that the mall prohibits guns on the property.

"Although we respect the laws of the state and individual rights, we do, however, maintain a separate code of conduct that we visibly post at our entrances that includes the prohibition of any weapons on the property. Our top priority continues to be the safety of our shoppers as we strive to provide the best possible shopping experience for all,” said Christensen.
http://www.kens5.com/news/mall-policy-s ... /391647963

Unless something has changed since just before Christmas, there are no 30.06 signs at this mall. There could be some gun busters on the doors, can't remember. He could be just stating this to appease the anti's or he is ignorant of the law. Either case, this type of negative media coverage is not good for LTC's. If it weren't for the action of this brave LTC, who knows how many people that dirtbag would have shot.
So, in typical corporate cover your posterior fashion, the mall is implying that the LTC holder is the one who is the bad guy? And how does displaying a "code of conduct" stop armed robbers? Let's vilify the law abiding citizen and ignore the 500lb gorilla in the room.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Rhino1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rhino1 »

Haven't been to this mall but every Kay's Jewelry is posted 30.06/30.07.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

This is a lot different than "tried to intervene in a robbery."

Update: my comment above was in reply to what I swear was someone else's post with the following story, but now I don't see it?

Anyway: http://www.ksat.com/news/rolling-oak-ma ... ooting-him
[Wife Aimee]Murphy was standing between her and one of the suspects. Jonathan tried to get in front of her.

"I think he was trying to stand in between to protect me, maybe protect the children. I don't know, I don't know what he was thinking. He didn't say anything and the guy just started shooting him," said Murphy.
I suspect the "her" that I highlighted in red was meant to be "him." Sounds like all he did was step between his wife and the robbers and one of the robbers shot him in the chest and head. As I said, a lot different than "intervene."
USAF 1982-2005

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Rhino1 wrote:Haven't been to this mall but every Kay's Jewelry is posted 30.06/30.07.
That is my experience with Kay's in the DFW area.

EST1984
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EST1984 »

No, we don't know the sequence of events. But I guess we can conclude that every armed robber acts the same way and is very predictable. If you leave them alone, they always leave peacefully. That's how I was trained. If you arrive at the scene of an armed robbery and the suspect is still there, do not provoke or threaten them. They will always leave on their own and you can discretely follow them. When they get home and go to sleep, you pounce and no one gets hurt. Armed robbers, especially these gang bangers, only lash out when provoked. You can bet your life on it.
http://www.ksat.com/news/rolling-oak-ma ... ooting-him

This is not always the case. In 1994 my wife's mother was killed in a pawn shop robbery. She did nothing to provoke the gang bangers and neither did any of the others in the shop at the time. I think they were jumpy and something went against what they expected. From what the good Samaritans wife says all he did was step in front of her and the bad guy shot him multiple times.
Please don't take this as a attack. I don't mean to be at all . Just this can always go sideways when you have boys (gang bangers)trying to be tough and then something happens they didn't plan for.

Frankie
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Frankie »

SAPD said two victims who were hit by shrapnel during the incident have been released from the hospital, along with a third person who complained of chest pains.
http://www.ksat.com/news/sapd-ids-secon ... lling-oaks

This is also a far cry from the original narrative of the bad guys running out randomly shooting people after being confronted by good Samaritans.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

NTexCopRetired wrote:No, we don't know the sequence of events. But I guess we can conclude that every armed robber acts the same way and is very predictable. If you leave them alone, they always leave peacefully. That's how I was trained. If you arrive at the scene of an armed robbery and the suspect is still there, do not provoke or threaten them. They will always leave on their own and you can discretely follow them. When they get home and go to sleep, you pounce and no one gets hurt. Armed robbers, especially these gang bangers, only lash out when provoked. You can bet your life on it.
We really need a sarcasm font...

Frankie
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Frankie »

bblhd672 wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Frankie wrote:This is my local mall. Me and the family frequent it.
The mall map shows Kay's Jewelry on the upper level by the food court, is that correct?

Is this Kay's location one with doors that you go into the store, or the type that is open to the mall with pull down metal doors?

I also see on the mall map that there are two other jewelry stores right there on the food court. So the question is, why Kay's and not one of the other two?

After studying the mall layout on a map, strategically speaking, this would be the best target for the robbers. It is on the upper level, but on the back side of the mall. The back side upper level is actually on ground level and with a mall exit up there. Years ago, there was a movie theater in that area of the mall. It would be a quick in and out job with an easy escape route on back side of mall away from all of the incoming traffic on the front side. They would have an clear path from there out to the Loop 1604 access road avoiding all of the traffic lights in the main intersection leading to the mall.
Looking at Google street view, I can see what you are talking about. Yes, it does make it easy in/out.
Sorry for my deled reply:
Yes, Kay's is located on 2nd floor near food court. It has two very large opening that open out into the mall. One of those openings is to the short entrance hall from the back parking lot. The bounce place (can't remember the name) is about the only thing from the entrance doors and the opening into Kay's. This entrance also has frequent curb drop off and pick up so a getaway car at the curb wouldn't draw any attention nor would roving mall security vehicle address it much less take notice of the vehicle.
The exit to Loop 1604 offers a good escape route but also, FM2252 leads out to more rural areas and offers a quick change in jurisdictions. You enter Comal County quickly and any delay in sharing suspect and vehicle information with the rural agencies like Comal County or City of Garden Ridge, would offer valuable time in making a getaway.
I suspect 30.06 and 30.07 signs to pop up on the mall soon. That would do more to deter me from continued shopping there, then this actual robbery.

longhorn86
Posts in topic: 7

Post by longhorn86 »

Frankie wrote: I suspect 30.06 and 30.07 signs to pop up on the mall soon. That would do more to deter me from continued shopping there, then this actual robbery.
You can pretty much bet the farm on this^^
NRA Life Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

ELB wrote:This is a lot different than "tried to intervene in a robbery."

Update: my comment above was in reply to what I swear was someone else's post with the following story, but now I don't see it?

Anyway: http://www.ksat.com/news/rolling-oak-ma ... ooting-him
[Wife Aimee]Murphy was standing between her and one of the suspects. Jonathan tried to get in front of her.

"I think he was trying to stand in between to protect me, maybe protect the children. I don't know, I don't know what he was thinking. He didn't say anything and the guy just started shooting him," said Murphy.
I suspect the "her" that I highlighted in red was meant to be "him." Sounds like all he did was step between his wife and the robbers and one of the robbers shot him in the chest and head. As I said, a lot different than "intervene."
This is very different than saying he attempted to intervene. This account by the deceased's wife is more detailed than any other as to exactly what was going down.

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dlh »

Wonder why they have not identified the perp in critical condition at the hospital? My guess is that they don't know who he is (I doubt that) or for some reason unknown to us they have refused to provide his identity.

On the question above about the tattoos---I am certainly no expert on those. Jail intake personnel, however, are experts on those. These days jailers will take photographs head to toe front to back of inmates with tattoos and enter them into some kind of database or notebook. Looking at those tattoos my guess is that he is a gang member and law enforcement know which gang he is in. I bet he also has the usual long criminal history.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dhoobler »

Police may be withholding the identity of the perp to prtect the hospital personnel. This guy's "lifestyle" may have attracted a few enemies, who would see this as an opportunity for revenge.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

dlh wrote:Wonder why they have not identified the perp in critical condition at the hospital? My guess is that they don't know who he is (I doubt that) or for some reason unknown to us they have refused to provide his identity.
They did:
Jose Rojas, 34, who was injured during the botched robbery turned shooting, faces two counts of aggravated robbery and one count of capital murder.

Court records indicate Rojas has an extensive criminal history, including several felony drug possession charges, DWI, assault, criminal mischief and resisting arrest.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
dlh wrote:Wonder why they have not identified the perp in critical condition at the hospital? My guess is that they don't know who he is (I doubt that) or for some reason unknown to us they have refused to provide his identity.
They did:
Jose Rojas, 34, who was injured during the botched robbery turned shooting, faces two counts of aggravated robbery and one count of capital murder.

Court records indicate Rojas has an extensive criminal history, including several felony drug possession charges, DWI, assault, criminal mischief and resisting arrest.
Well, I hope that the good people of San Antonio will convict these thugs of all offenses and the judge will put them away for life without parole (or a date with the executioner is fine too).

Return to “The Crime Blotter”