OR: Man fined for doing math without a license

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

OR: Man fined for doing math without a license

Post by philip964 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/busi ... .html?_r=0

Does the first amendment apply to the word engineer.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OR: Man fined for doing math without a license

Post by Papa_Tiger »

A little obscure, but already discussed here:
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... e#p1149650

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

george wrote:My company had to be very careful to exclude the word "engineer" on the business cards of our technicians in Texas.
I'll be changing my working title to have that word in it now...

Doctor Engineer Technician John.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

loktite

Post by loktite »

Hrm. I kind of like the sound of "Southern Ingenuity Engineer"
NRA Endowment Member

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

In Texas, if your job title includes the word "engineer", you must have an engineering degree or your company will run afoul of the Texas Society of Professional Engineers.

I'm not surprised at Oregon, but it is not necessary in all engineering disciplines to be licensed by the state.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

oohrah wrote:In Texas, if your job title includes the word "engineer", you must have an engineering degree or your company will run afoul of the Texas Society of Professional Engineers.

I'm not surprised at Oregon, but it is not necessary in all engineering disciplines to be licensed by the state.
What of MCSE? The old acronym was "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer"
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

oohrah wrote:In Texas, if your job title includes the word "engineer", you must have an engineering degree or your company will run afoul of the Texas Society of Professional Engineers.

What about locomotive engineers? (the ones that operate the train)
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

What about a Fire Apparatus Engineer? Commonly referred to as a Engineer or driver, up north they call them chauffeurs
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I lost my Dad's old federal list of jobs, but I'll bet their are plenty of engineers in it. The refinery I worked in gave the title of Engineer to the top job at the boiler house. It was listed in our Union handbook along with the wages. One of my first jobs when I was hourly was "Gas Dispatcher"; no not what you're thinking :biggrinjester: . I looked it up in his book and sure enough it described my job.
Licensing is just a way to limit competition and exact fees on folks trying to make a living. IMHO
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

IANAL, but the legal profession has similar restrictions on what you can call yourself, I believe. In my profession (Accounting), there is a restriction on "holding yourself out" as a CPA, but I don't believe there are any restrictions on using the term "accountant".

So this is not restricted just to "engineers"

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I have a Boiler Lics. that says Stationary Engineer on it. The City of Houston extracts 102 dollars every year from me to renew it. With what i payed in taxes last year and all my lics, fees i think i bought Uncle Sam a new Air Force One.

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LTUME1978 »

The problem this guy had was he called himself an engineer while doing work for the public without having a Professional Engineers license. That is a big no-no with the Engineering Board in any State.

If you practice engineering for the public, in the state of Texas (and probably every state in the union), you must has a professional engineers license. Besides having an engineering degree from an accredited university, one must pass two separate 8 hour exams and demonstrate a work history (usually at least 4 years of suitable work with references) that would support the board awarding you a P. E. license. If you work for a manufacturing facility and are only doing work at that site as an employee of that company, you don't need a license in the state of Texas.

I am an engineer with a license in 2 states. I wish all of the states would require that anyone working as an engineer in any capacity have a license. It is amazing what I have seen unlicensed engineers do over the years. If all engineers had to have a license, a number of unqualified engineers would be weeded out of the system with a resulting improvement in designs.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

My job title was "audio engineer" for several years, and nobody in my department had such a degree.

And, at least last time I checked, people could be a "software engineer" without any degree at all.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

twjones

Post by twjones »

LTUME1978 wrote:The problem this guy had was he called himself an engineer while doing work for the public without having a Professional Engineers license. That is a big no-no with the Engineering Board in any State.

If you practice engineering for the public, in the state of Texas (and probably every state in the union), you must has a professional engineers license. Besides having an engineering degree from an accredited university, one must pass two separate 8 hour exams and demonstrate a work history (usually at least 4 years of suitable work with references) that would support the board awarding you a P. E. license. If you work for a manufacturing facility and are only doing work at that site as an employee of that company, you don't need a license in the state of Texas.

I am an engineer with a license in 2 states. I wish all of the states would require that anyone working as an engineer in any capacity have a license. It is amazing what I have seen unlicensed engineers do over the years. If all engineers had to have a license, a number of unqualified engineers would be weeded out of the system with a resulting improvement in designs.
There are plenty of engineers who have their P.E. who really aren't very good engineers. Likewise, there are plenty of folks who don't have their P.E. who are excellent engineers.

By the way, P.E. or PE?

I use P.E.; not really sure why but that's what my old boss used and I know it's more old school.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”