Civilian who shot suspect fleeing from police arrested

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Civilian who shot suspect fleeing from police arrested

Post by Flightmare »

“Unless you’re in the situation where a suspect is causing you to be in fear of your life or serious bodily injury, or a death, you cannot use deadly force,” Capt. Craig Treadwell said.
Those are the sorts of stories that help further the narrative of the antis. From the article, the shooter had no reason to even unholster his weapon, let alone discharge it.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

Flightmare wrote:
“Unless you’re in the situation where a suspect is causing you to be in fear of your life or serious bodily injury, or a death, you cannot use deadly force,” Capt. Craig Treadwell said.
Those are the sorts of stories that help further the narrative of the antis. From the article, the shooter had no reason to even unholster his weapon, let alone discharge it.

:iagree:

There is being helpful, and there is thinking, that a right to carry, makes you Dirty Harry.
Even the police are not justified in shooting a fleeing suspect, who poses no direct threat to them, or the general public. Not sure how the citizen believed that he had the authority for his actions, but I can't see this ending well for him.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

He is fortunate it is only aggravated assault, but like you said Jusme....I don't see it ending well for him.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

There's IS an instance where it IS legal to fire upon someone who is running away. That is if it an inmate.

Headspace

Post by Headspace »

Sometimes it is far better to be a good witness than an active (and unnecessary) participant.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

Hang on.

Was he wearing his LTC badge?

Hmmmm?

Hmmmmm?

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Story doesn't say whether he was a licensed carrier. Kind of hoping he wasn't. Makes the rest of us look bad.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Yeah, that's not good. Even if he has a license to carry a gun, the way the article reads, he was in the wrong. News articles get the story bungled sometimes, so I won't pass judgement. But as the story reads he had no justification for pulling his weapon.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

AdioSS wrote:There's IS an instance where it IS legal to fire upon someone who is running away. That is if it an inmate.
So if this guy ends up escaping from prison someone will be legally able to shoot him. OK, ya gotta admit that would be pretty darn ironic.

Like I've said plenty of times - I'm not planning to do the job of LEO's, and I am also not planning on having LEO's do my job for me. My job is to keep me and mine safe (along with anyone else I choose to protect). LEO's job is to find and punish criminals after harm has been inflicted, so they can't do any more harm.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
AdioSS wrote:There's IS an instance where it IS legal to fire upon someone who is running away. That is if it an inmate.
So if this guy ends up escaping from prison someone will be legally able to shoot him. OK, ya gotta admit that would be pretty darn ironic.

Like I've said plenty of times - I'm not planning to do the job of LEO's, and I am also not planning on having LEO's do my job for me. My job is to keep me and mine safe (along with anyone else I choose to protect). LEO's job is to find and punish criminals after harm has been inflicted, so they can't do any more harm.
More accurately, it is LEO's job to find and arrest - NOT punish. Punishment is the court's decision.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

More accurately, it is LEO's job to find and arrest - NOT punish. Punishment is the court's decision.
Correct. I was paraphrasing a bit. It's tough to be 100% accurate and also have a motto that rolls off the tongue.

For the purposes of my motto the distinction between law enforcement and the rest of the justice system is not that impactful.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

A few, thankfully very few, think having an LTC officially establishes them as an adjunct of Law Enforcement.

It doesn't and one of the reasons I think idiotic LTC badges should be ridiculed into non-existence.

The few, the proud, the stupid, who're think holding an LTC is something akin to being an LEO are just that...stupid.

If you happen to still hold out hope that actually putting your LTC into a badge holder you can then strap on your gun belt gives you police powers, you're an idiot.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:A few, thankfully very few, think having an LTC officially establishes them as an adjunct of Law Enforcement.

It doesn't and one of the reasons I think idiotic LTC badges should be ridiculed into non-existence.

The few, the proud, the stupid, who're think holding an LTC is something akin to being an LEO are just that...stupid.

If you happen to still hold out hope that actually putting your LTC into a badge holder you can then strap on your gun belt, you're an idiot.
I think there are a fair amount of "wannabe cops" out there who are not actual LEO's for a variety of reasons. I see this with security guards as well.

E10

Post by E10 »

I dunno - a lot depends on what Lennox did to make the po-lice (I grew up in Dallas - that's how we pronounced it there) chase him, and whether he presented a threat when Pitts caught up with him. O' course, in this case Georgia law applies, but I know in Texas citizens may use deadly force to prevent the escape of perpetrators of certain serious crimes. Also, if Lennox somehow posed a credible threat to Pitts or another person, or caused Pitts to fear for his safety, deadly force may have been justified. We also don't know how long it took the police to catch up with Lennox after Pitts caught him. Was it likely that Lennox would have escaped if Pitts hadn't acted? The short article does not present the full story. This may be a case of the cops bein' irate 'cause a citizen had to to do their job for them, and they jammed Pitts up in revenge.

I ain't sayin' it was smart, but what Pitts did may not have been illegal. Hopefully he'll get a competent lawyer and a judge and jury will discover the truth.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”