Parents of robber claims good Samaritan used excessive force

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Parents of robber claims good Samaritan used excessive force

Post by Lynyrd »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/20/st ... d-him.html

The parents claim he used excessive force. If you got stabbed in the neck while trying to subdue a BG, when would you stop? :roll:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Parents of robber claims good Samaritan used excessive force

Post by rotor »

Knowing it's California and a Starbucks, a lawsuit will be coming and Starbucks will probably stick up for the bad guy instead of the Good Samaritan.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

Pretty sad to keep hearing stories like this but I'd say California, Starbucks, no gun present, the robbers knife was used, ... says it all.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The robber introduced deadly force into the situation up front. Was he compliant and no longer a threat when he was allegedly stabbed multiple times by the good Samaritan? If so, then perhaps force (in the form of the stabbing) was excessive. Judging strictly from what I saw on the video, though, I would have a hard time convicting the good Samaritan of using excessive force. This seems to be another case where a person wants to escape or evade the consequences of their actions or, failing that, blame someone else. Too much of that is going on in these days of unreal expectations driven by social programming.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

If and since I am not LE, am I even bound by excessive use of force laws or statutes? I thought those only applied to LE.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

apostate

Post by apostate »

C-dub wrote:If and since I am not LE, am I even bound by excessive use of force laws or statutes? I thought those only applied to LE.
You don't have sovereign immunity, so you're bound by whatever standard the civil jury likes in California.

I was pleasantly surprised by one quote in the article.
The Fresno police chief reportedly called the report of the lawsuit “ludicrous.”

flechero

Post by flechero »

bmwrdr wrote:Pretty sad to keep hearing stories like this but I'd say California, Starbucks, no gun present, the robbers knife was used, ... says it all.
It was on today's noon news- with video. The perp had a gun and a knife and the good samaritan was a senior citizen... Thankfully it worked out ok! I enjoyed watching that 20 something punk get his back end beat by an elderly gentleman! The perp's mother was interviewed and said "the good samaritan turned vigiante- after he stabbed my son once or twice he crossed the line"

The lawyer they had on for comment said that even in CA the lawsuit has no chance. I hope he's right.

stroo

Post by stroo »

This is in the same category with the father in OKlahoma who was upset that a homeowner shot his trespassing son with an AR 15. JUST ISN'T FAIR!!! Ridiculous!

strogg

Post by strogg »

I watched the video. It doesn't matter if the gun was real or not or if it was even there. The perp took his knife and threatened the cashier. There was definitely tension and fear of life in that situation. That is enough in anyone's book to defend against the perp. The perp then fought back, even after being stabbed. Not running, nor cowering, nor surrendering. Fighting back. Yeah, no wonder the good sam kept stabbing back to defend himself.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Pros and cons aside, did y'all notice that the Senior good guy did not lose his flip flops during the struggle? That says a lot!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Can we accelerate California leaving the USA? Will we have to accept refugees or can we build a wall?

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

philip964 wrote:Can we accelerate California leaving the USA? Will we have to accept refugees or can we build a wall?
California wants to leave the USA. Many in the USA want California to leave the USA. I'm not seeing much opposition. I'm with you, what's the hold up?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

I think the lesson to be learned here is, "Don't underestimate old guys!"

:tiphat:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

If there is a lawsuit, maybe some good will come of it. Black Rifle Coffee is bound to come out with a good video in response.

Since you can't count on the bad guy to take the cash and leave all the witnesses breathing, and since he had what appeared to be a gun, I'd say shooting him would have made great sense.

The problem for me is I would want to give the guy a chance. "Drop your weapons," something like that, which would make me a target and give the bad guy a nice "shooter ready" warning to take care of (his) business.

Dangerous situation.

The mother's reaction probably explains the perpetrator's decision to initiate the robbery.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Lynyrd wrote:I think the lesson to be learned here is, "Don't underestimate old guys!"

:tiphat:
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too tired, he'll just hafta kill ya.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “The Crime Blotter”