TTPD officer killed...

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

TTPD officer killed...

Post by G.A. Heath »

A Texas Tech PD officer was shot and killed in TTPD headquarters. How long until this is blamed on campus carry?

http://www.kcbd.com/story/36556988/ttu- ... or-suspect
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

bigity
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TTPD officer killed...

Post by bigity »

Was just coming here to post about this. Crazy.

Story says they brought in a student for a 'welfare check' and the student pulled a gun once inside the police building.

1) What is a 'welfare check'?
2) Why wouldn't someone being brought in for one not be searched?
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

bigity wrote:Was just coming here to post about this. Crazy.

Story says they brought in a student for a 'welfare check' and the student pulled a gun once inside the police building.

WOW! I just posted almost the exact same thing!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

bigity

Post by bigity »

Just heard he was being brought in for questioning about drugs they found in his room or something -- someone didn't search him or do a good job. Damn shame.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

bigity wrote:Was just coming here to post about this. Crazy.

Welfare check is when a family contacts the police with concern about a loved one. Usually it is just a contact at their residence to make sure they are fine and tell them to call their family.

In this situation I am not for sure why they brought him in, but as you suggested he should have been at least patted down.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... ed-n809281
A call for a student "welfare check" lead campus officers to a room where they found drugs and drug paraphernalia, prompting the officers to bring the student to station, a spokesman for the school said in a statement.

"During this time, the suspect pulled a gun and shot an officer in the head," the statement read. "The officer is deceased.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bigity

Post by bigity »

He’s in custody. 19 year old student from Seguin.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Shooter is 19, so unless he is military or has a license from another state somehow, then probably was carrying illegally http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/new ... ce-officer
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

And it could matter what dorm. Ltc not legal in some tech dorms.

It is a violation of housing policy to have items used as weapons, including but not limited to, dart guns, decorative or functional swords, knives of two (2) or more inches in length, paint guns, pellet guns, hunting equipment (including shotguns, and bows and arrows), and designated martial arts equipment. Weapons concealed carry is only legal for possession and storage in Murray, Carpenter/Wells, Talkington, and West Village. All other residence halls are considered exclusionary zones.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Tragic. My Chief sent this story to me early this morning. I have to wonder if the suspect got ahold the officers gun or brought in his own and wasn’t searched or searched properly.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

Flightmare wrote:https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... ed-n809281
A call for a student "welfare check" lead campus officers to a room where they found drugs and drug paraphernalia, prompting the officers to bring the student to station, a spokesman for the school said in a statement.

"During this time, the suspect pulled a gun and shot an officer in the head," the statement read. "The officer is deceased.
Too sadof a story, 19 years old with a gun and drugs in the picture. I just hope they discover all details and pay more attention to the drug problem on campus in the future.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

flechero

Post by flechero »

bmwrdr wrote:Too sadof a story, 19 years old with a gun and drugs in the picture. I just hope they discover all details and pay more attention to the drug problem on campus in the future.
No way... that would be the reasonable and responsible thing to focus on... the gun [even if not legal] is a headline and plays into the soundbite news cycle that fits their narrative.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

flechero wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:Too sadof a story, 19 years old with a gun and drugs in the picture. I just hope they discover all details and pay more attention to the drug problem on campus in the future.
No way... that would be the reasonable and responsible thing to focus on... the gun [even if not legal] is a headline and plays into the soundbite news cycle that fits their narrative.
Sad but true. Unfortunatelly it requires a certain level of professionalism to be objective and identify a root cause.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

ELB
Posts in topic: 22

Post by ELB »

This has a lot of detail: http://heavy.com/news/2017/10/hollis-da ... -shooting/

Says he was alone with officer who was killed, and when another officer heard the shot and came in, the dead officer still had a handgun in his holster.

This story has text from the arrest warrant: http://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/l ... r_KAMCNews
A .45 caliber pistol loaded with RP ammunition was located where Hollis Daniels was arrested.
Seguin is the town near where I live, and I work in Seguin, but did not know this family.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “The Crime Blotter”