State Trooper Killed Freestone County

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Re: State Trooper Killed Freestone County

Post by dlh »

Difficult to connect the dots from "afar" but appears a J.P. set a low bond pre-indictment possibly without input from the District Attorney who should have had access to the defendant's criminal history. I know of jurisdictions where the J.P. will ex parte call the D.A. and ask them their opinion on the bond amount then set it accordingly. In any event it appears a District Judge at indictment revisited the bond amount and decided it was grossly low and set it at $400,000.00.
On a $10,000 bail if you know of a bail bondsman you pay em ten percent of the bail and then get sprung out or even work out payments on the ten percent. I bet the J.P. will think about this case next time he has a similar defendant with similar charges.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 4

Re: State Trooper Killed Freestone County

Post by treadlightly »

It was my turn to cook tonight, so I hied me to The Farm House Restaurant ("one bite and you're hooked"), past Tractor Supply and Rusty's Boots, almost to the Wal Mart in Mexia. There were five DPS patrol vehicles in the parking lot.

I went to the cashier to collect our tilapia and chicken tenders and figured it wasn't a time to pinch pennies. I told the cashier I wanted to pay for the Troopers' dinners.

She told me I was too late. Someone else already had them covered, and then she told me of a young person in town who had called Trooper Allen "Dad." They weren't related. Damon Allen and his family helped everyone they came in contact with. Trooper Allen was like a father to the child.

A couple came up to the cash register and apologized for interrupting our conversation. The couple wanted to pay for the Troopers' meals.

The cashier told them they were number three. She promised to tell the Troopers everyone in town would be proud to consider them dinner guests and that the community prays for their safety.

Trooper Allen couldn't have been perfect. I know he had his flaws, like we all do. It's also clear from the size of the void he leaves behind he was a shining example of a decent human and a compassionate lawman.

Twelve miles south of The Farm House, Dabrett Black was probably getting his evening jailhouse rations, another meal paid for by the community. That's appropriate, because the civilized way to extinguish a murderer is by due process - but God keep us all if there is a slip in vigilance around that prisoner. I firmly believe more people would die if he ever got loose.

As I left the restaurant, another customer headed for the cashier. From the glances, I wouldn't be surprised if he weren't the fourth person wanting to extend hospitality and a good meal on the house to the visiting Troopers.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

And some of them are called far too soon, and sacrifice far too much.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”