KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WTR wrote:Who ever did the SWATing needs to be charged to the full extent of the law. The Officer who pulled the trigger needs to ride a desk and never allowed a weapon again.
I agree on the SWATer. He is guilty of murder and should be punished accordingly. I disagree on the officer. If facts are as they seem, he should not ever again be an officer, and should face a criminal trial for his actions.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WTR wrote:Police work is inherently dangerous . Ever Officer accepts that as part of the job. You simply cannot guess if a person has anything in their hands. You need to prosess the nerve to hold your fire until you KNOW if there is a weapon present . I'm tired of these Officer in their full combat regalia saying they thought there was a weapon when the victims hands prove to be empty or at worst holding a cell phone. If you don't have the nerve.....quit. Everyone wants to go home safely to their family. You shoot first and plead ignorance you need to go to jail. We need to hold the Police accountable.
Can I gun down anyone who comes to my door with something in their hands that appears to possibly be a weapon?

When my local Constable approaches my son and I for a friendly chat about fishing while we are at the pond across from my house, can I gun him down if he makes a move that appears to be him going for a weapon? After all, he is clearly a MWAG.

Why should we hold our untrained citizens to a higher standard than our trained LEO's who have sworn a duty to protect and defend our rights?

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Actually both of the people who were involved in the online dispute should face charges for their part. The coward who gave out an innocent man’s address was in the wrong as well.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WTR »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
WTR wrote:Who ever did the SWATing needs to be charged to the full extent of the law. The Officer who pulled the trigger needs to ride a desk and never allowed a weapon again.
I agree on the SWATer. He is guilty of murder and should be punished accordingly. I disagree on the officer. If facts are as they seem, he should not ever again be an officer, and should face a criminal trial for his actions.
:iagree: The more I codgitate on the senireo the more I agree

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/sw ... ar-BBHQ20z
Tyler Raj Barriss, 25, declined to fight extradition during a brief hearing in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom, and a judge said he should be handed over to authorities in Kansas no later than Feb 2. Until then, he will be held in California without bail.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Liberty wrote:
Txtension wrote:
cedarparkdad987 wrote:Do not go outside. If you do go out side put your hands in the air and do not do anything else even if they tell you to. No matter what.
I find it hard to believe that if you just not answer the door, LE will go away. In fact now it totally justifies a crack team of commandos with APC's, tear gas, and flashbangs making a breaching action.

So you go outside hands up and refuse to obey any other lawful commands. Looks like you are on PCP, an extremely powerful drug that increases your strength, dexterity, constitution and hit points to ridiculous levels. And that's why everyone on scene emptied their mags reloaded and emptied those. And if you really were high, it's doubtful that they could have brought enough ammunition. But I digress; into the absurd
You left out shooting the dog.
THIS is when I go all John Wick on them.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

MechAg94 wrote: Plus, if they don't prosecute the officer for the death, can you really punish the SWAT'er as an accessory to murder?
:iagree: if the shooter is not guilty then the caller is not guilty.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 11

Post by MechAg94 »

Have any of you seen video of the entire encounter? I was curious when that was released. I heard people say the guy had several chances to surrender put his hands up, but ended up not doing it for some reason. I wanted more information before I say anything else. I am not sure if it will change my opinion, but I want to see it.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

BBYC wrote:
MechAg94 wrote: Plus, if they don't prosecute the officer for the death, can you really punish the SWAT'er as an accessory to murder?
From Wikipedia:
Constructive manslaughter is also referred to as "unlawful act" manslaughter. It is based on the doctrine of constructive malice, whereby the malicious intent inherent in the commission of a crime is considered to apply to the consequences of that crime. It occurs when someone kills, without intent, in the course of committing an unlawful act. The malice involved in the crime is transferred to the killing, resulting in a charge of manslaughter.

For example, a person who fails to stop at a red traffic light while driving a vehicle and hits someone crossing the street could be found to intend or be reckless as to assault or criminal damage (see DPP v Newbury[9]). There is no intent to kill, and a resulting death would not be considered murder, but would be considered involuntary manslaughter. The accused's responsibility for causing death is constructed from the fault in committing what might have been a minor criminal act. Reckless driving or reckless handling of a potentially lethal weapon may result in a death that is deemed manslaughter.

Involuntary manslaughter may be distinguished from accidental death. A person who is driving carefully, but whose car nevertheless hits a child darting out into the street, has not committed manslaughter. A person who pushes off an aggressive drunk, who then falls and dies, has probably not committed manslaughter, although in some jurisdictions it may depend whether "excessive force" was used or other factors.
The false report was a criminal act. The malicious intent that the caller had when calling in the SWATting report transfers to the consequence of that crime (death) if his actions created that consequence.

Actually, the person making the false report would be LESS at fault if the officer is found to have committed a criminal act. If the LEO is found to have acted reasonably, then the false report created the circumstances that led to this fatality. If it's found that the officer was criminal in his conduct, then an attorney could argue that the false report did not lead directly to the death.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Rob72 wrote:
BBYC wrote:
False.
Sorry but I don't follow you. If there's no murder than how can they be an accessory to murder?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 11

Post by MechAg94 »

They will prosecute him for something, I just don't know how it will be done or how serious of a charge they will be able to make. My only question was if the officer is found to have acted appropriately and not prosecuted, I am sure the guy's lawyer will use that in trial for any charge beyond just the false report.

I am also not sure I disagree with that on the criminal side. This should not have resulted in someone's death or even injury for that matter. IMO, there is a problem with the way police handle these calls. I guess it would help if we had the entire video from the moment police rolled up.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

BBYC wrote:
You can sure as heck prosecute the caller for SOMETHING and put him behind bars. If you burn down a building that you believe to be empty, and someone dies, even a grody old bum, you’ve committed a homicide, and if they catch you, they will charge you. You are NOT allowed to do vicious acts that result in a death, and get off scot Free - EVEN IF a death was not the intended result. You’re STILL responsible for it. This is how the social contract works. Whether the police close ranks and protect the one who got trigger happy, or they decide to punish the officer, the individual that called in a FRAUDULENT MWAG call that ended in the death of the subject WILL be prosecuted for some level of homicide. When your actions kill someone, it’s no longer aggravated assault charges.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Txtension

Post by Txtension »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
BBYC wrote:
You can sure as heck prosecute the caller for SOMETHING and put him behind bars. If you burn down a building that you believe to be empty, and someone dies, even a grody old bum, you’ve committed a homicide, and if they catch you, they will charge you. You are NOT allowed to do vicious acts that result in a death, and get off scot Free - EVEN IF a death was not the intended result. You’re STILL responsible for it. This is how the social contract works. Whether the police close ranks and protect the one who got trigger happy, or they decide to punish the officer, the individual that called in a FRAUDULENT MWAG call that ended in the death of the subject WILL be prosecuted for some level of homicide. When your actions kill someone, it’s no longer aggravated assault charges.

What if 'you' hire a person to demolish (burn) down said building that you know is occupied. You do this "for the lolz." The hired man doesn't check the structure to see if it is safe to proceed, and simply demolishes the building.

Does the hired hand have any liability, or just the man who gave the orders?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Txtension wrote:What if 'you' hire a person to demolish (burn) down said building that you know is occupied. You do this "for the lolz." The hired man doesn't check the structure to see if it is safe to proceed, and simply demolishes the building.

Does the hired hand have any liability, or just the man who gave the orders?
I think it depends on whether or not the hired demolisher works for a government agency or not. :evil2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “The Crime Blotter”