FL: Active shooter at high school in South Florida

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

b4aftr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FL: Active shooter at high school in South Florida

Post by b4aftr »

anygunanywhere wrote:
stroo wrote:The Sheriff just stated that the school had one armed security guard for a 45 acre, 3000 student campus. That is totally inadequate.

The hero coach was also acting as an armed security guard. He ran to the sound of gunfire. If he had been armed and trained, he probably would have been more effective in protecting the students. This is not a criticism of this hero; he did all he could and sacrificed himself. It is a criticism of a school system that failed to arm him!

If only 30% of our education taxes go to teachers, then there is a lot of fat in school budgets to use to harden the schools. After all, isn't it worth it if only one life is saved!
Too many administrators.
Agreed, wife is a teacher and she mentioned her district get roughly 39% of school tax dollars and rest goes to government entities (TEA and others I suppose). Don’t know this for fact but if it’s true, that’s a problem.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by carlson1 »

Way too much money spent on athletics and other extra curricular activities that could be spent on security. I would think you could hire a lot security for just the cost of the stadium in Frisco. While you are at it ban backpacks. We do not allow backpacks in our church auditorium anymore.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

carlson1 wrote:Way too much money spent on athletics and other extra curricular activities that could be spent on security. I would think you could hire a lot security for just the cost of the stadium in Frisco. While you are at it ban backpacks. We do not allow backpacks in our church auditorium anymore.
Start by eliminating soccer.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

1911 Raptor wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Way too much money spent on athletics and other extra curricular activities that could be spent on security. I would think you could hire a lot security for just the cost of the stadium in Frisco. While you are at it banpack packs. We do not allow backpacks in our church auditorium anymore.
What’s the difference between banning backpacks and banning guns? Are backpacks now killing people?
Oh I don't know. Do nothing? How about backpacks are not a Constitutional Right and guns are? It takes away the hiding of weapons. I don't think that is too hard to understand.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SewTexas »

carlson1 wrote:Way too much money spent on athletics and other extra curricular activities that could be spent on security. I would think you could hire a lot security for just the cost of the stadium in Frisco. While you are at it ban backpacks. We do not allow backpacks in our church auditorium anymore.

why ban back packs? what if I'm a mom and I have my diaper stuff in a back pack because that's what my husband will carry? what if that's what I have my Bible study stuff in? What if that's what I have my Mother-in-law's stuff in?
I'm sorry, but when you start banning stuff, you're telling everyone that someone may be possibly thinking of maybe doing of something, so therefore you're going to punish the whole group. I thought that's why we were so against more gun control laws?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

SewTexas wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Way too much money spent on athletics and other extra curricular activities that could be spent on security. I would think you could hire a lot security for just the cost of the stadium in Frisco. While you are at it ban backpacks. We do not allow backpacks on our church auditorium anymore.

why ban back packs? what if I'm a mom and I have my diaper stuff in a back pack because that's what my husband will carry? what if that's what I have my Bible study stuff in? What if that's what I have my Mother-in-law's stuff in?
I'm sorry, but when you start banning stuff, you're telling everyone that someone may be possibly thinking of maybe doing of something, so therefore you're going to punish the whole group. I thought that's why we were so against more gun control laws?
Again - do nothing. Backpacks are not a right. They have been used to conceal illegal firearms and bombs. I have banned them in our auditorium. I have a responsibility to keep my church members safe. We have added cameras, security, and banned the backpacks inside our auditorium. I am not making you come to our church, but if you do you will not enter our auditorium with a backpack. It is called our policy! :rules:
There are many other churches that will allow you take carry your backpack.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WTR »

carlson1 wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Way too much money spent on athletics and other extra curricular activities that could be spent on security. I would think you could hire a lot security for just the cost of the stadium in Frisco. While you are at it ban backpacks. We do not allow backpacks on our church auditorium anymore.

Again - do nothing. Backpacks are not a right. They have been used to conceal illegal firearms and bombs. I have banned them in our auditorium. I have a responsibility to keep my church members safe. We have added cameras, security, and banned the backpacks inside our auditorium. I am not making you come to our church, but if you do you will not enter our auditorium with a backpack. It is called our policy! :rules:
There are many other churches that will allow you take carry your backpack.
The Government is requiring you to go to class. Unless you are home schooled ( that would be my option). But an education is not optional.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 92

Post by philip964 »

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/17/u ... eport.com/

Bush supporting rich Florida Republican donor issues ultimatum, assault weapons ban or no more money.

I was thinking, I would support ending gun free zones everywhere except at NFL football games.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Emma Gonzalez survived the Florida shooting. Now she’s taking on Trump and the NRA. - USA TODAY
https://apple.news/ArXx2cty7SkWQOdq0VH5E5A

It's not Trump and the NRA it's me and every other freedom loving patriot.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www1.cbn.c ... ents%3famp

Coach and security guard at the school died a hero shielding students from bullets.

Was he armed?

Did any of the adults who died heros have CHL's.

If they did, would we ever find out?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

These days even adults need a backpack, It's the briefcase of the newer millenium, a little easier to carry, and a lot more organized. What goes into mine?
  1. prescription medicines.
    Blood test kit
    Documents for current projects( usually 100 150 pages)in folders
    A 6 in one tool (screwdriver socket thing)
    Bible
    Kindle
    Tablet
    my BUG
    Pen pencils highliters and composition notebook
    Spare mags for BUG and EDC
    A bottle of water
    Small camera.
    Fluke 87
THe thing is I don't leave home without it, and I sure hate leaving it in a car, A no backpack zone is almost the same to me as a 30.06 except more inconvienient.

I really don't understand how kids are supposed to carry their books and stuff around without backpacks.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Liberty wrote: {snip}
I really don't understand how kids are supposed to carry their books and stuff around without backpacks.
I carried mine in my hands all through school up to and including college..... as did everyone else.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Liberty wrote:These days even adults need a backpack, It's the briefcase of the newer millenium, a little easier to carry, and a lot more organized. What goes into mine?
  1. prescription medicines.
    Blood test kit
    Documents for current projects( usually 100 150 pages)in folders
    A 6 in one tool (screwdriver socket thing)
    Bible
    Kindle
    Tablet
    my BUG
    Pen pencils highliters and composition notebook
    Spare mags for BUG and EDC
    A bottle of water
    Small camera.
    Fluke 87
THe thing is I don't leave home without it, and I sure hate leaving it in a car, A no backpack zone is almost the same to me as a 30.06 except more inconvienient.

Well in my day. Look out I'm going to go all '60's on you.

Guys would have a binder and a couple of books, it would be carried on your hip. Gals would have the same, except held in front of their chests. Some guys would carry their books, like girls. We didn't understand that then. Some nerdy guys would carry a briefcase.

No backpacks, everything you didn't need for the next few classes was in your locker.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”