GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 74

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

Post by philip964 »

Drudge Headline uses word - Hunted

4 Chan is focusing on odd jogging shoes.

It appears to me, son was in back of pick up truck whole time.

Father was standing with truck door open holding rifle vertically.

Man running goes around passenger side of truck. Then changes direction 90 degrees after passing truck and grabs rifle. There is a scuffle.

Gun is fired and man dies.

No idea what was said.

What are laws when someone attempts to take your gun from you by force. What if it’s pointed at you and the person says I’m going to kill you?
Attachments
E00DECDA-EFC0-4412-988E-0384B58E08D2.jpeg

oljames3
Posts in topic: 42

Post by oljames3 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:32 am
jayinsat wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:05 am The simple fact based on all the information released thus far is, 2 men decided to go after a person THEY SUSPECTED had committed a crime the night before. These two men decided they did not need to involve the police. They wanted to investigate and detain on their own. They chased down and approached an unarmed while one of them displayed a long gun. The video shows clearly enough the young man ran around the men and, when confronted, fought for his life and lost.
The father and sons actions caused the death of a young man who was not given the opportunity to be lawfully accused in a court of law. This is, by definition, vigilantism and a modern lynch mob.
:iagree: Memories of "the good old days" in the South. :mad5
No, the "modern day lynch mob" is folks rushing to judgement without sufficient evidence. While I think the actions of the McMichael father and son were ill advised and dangerous, we must understand that GA law is different from Texas law. We must wait for the GA system to assign blame or we risk being the lynch mob.
GA – Official Code of Georgia Annotated
TITLE 17. CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
CHAPTER 4. ARREST OF PERSONS
ARTICLE 4. ARREST BY PRIVATE PERSONS
§17-4-60. Grounds for arrest
A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.
https://lawofselfdefense.com/statute/ga ... or-arrest/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 42

Post by oljames3 »

philip964 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:35 am Drudge Headline uses word - Hunted

Man running goes around passenger side of truck. Then changes direction 90 degrees after passing truck and grabs rifle. There is a scuffle.

No idea what was said.

What are laws when someone attempts to take your gun from you by force. What if it’s pointed at you and the person says I’m going to kill you?
This is how easy it is to misinterpret video. In a letter of April 2, 2020, the DA, George Barnhill, stated that the McMichael father was in the bed of the truck. The son was on the ground holding a shotgun. The evidence to which we have access is too little and too confusing to assign blame.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... hmaud.html
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

srothstein
Posts in topic: 11

Post by srothstein »

oljames3 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:05 amNo, the "modern day lynch mob" is folks rushing to judgement without sufficient evidence. While I think the actions of the McMichael father and son were ill advised and dangerous, we must understand that GA law is different from Texas law. We must wait for the GA system to assign blame or we risk being the lynch mob.
:iagree: :tiphat:

And that is on not just this case, but a lot of cases in the media lately.
Steve Rothstein

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jayinsat »

srothstein wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:50 am
oljames3 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:05 amNo, the "modern day lynch mob" is folks rushing to judgement without sufficient evidence. While I think the actions of the McMichael father and son were ill advised and dangerous, we must understand that GA law is different from Texas law. We must wait for the GA system to assign blame or we risk being the lynch mob.

I’m sorry, where is the story of anyone chasing down and killing the McMichaels? They weren’t even arrested until yesterday...2 months later. How is demanding an arrest and investigation a lynch mob? :confused5

“Edited for clarity”
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

srothstein
Posts in topic: 11

Post by srothstein »

jayinsat wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:56 pmI’m sorry, where is the story of anyone chasing down and killing the McMichaels? They weren’t even arrested until yesterday...2 months later. How is demanding an arrest and investigation a lynch mob? :confused5

“Edited for clarity”
Demanding an arrest is the chasing and lyching. Why not just demand an investigation? What happens if the investigation reveals that they acted legally? I have no problem with people asking for an investigation of anything they feel needs to be investigated, but demanding an arrest is making a judgement on where the investigation should go and what should happen afterwards. Any investigation that sets out to prove a specific side of the story is just as bad as any lynching and is an affront to justice.

How are you going to feel now that they have been arrested after only 36 hours of time investigating the incident when it turns out they were telling the truth the whole time? This is the point I agreed with oldjames3 on.

Isn't is amazing how many people will condemn the mainstream media for their reporting on some subjects and then rush to judgment based on their reporting something else?
Steve Rothstein

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 50

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jayinsat wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:56 pm
srothstein wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:50 am

I’m sorry, where is the story of anyone chasing down and killing the McMichaels? They weren’t even arrested until yesterday...2 months later. How is demanding an arrest and investigation a lynch mob? :confused5

“Edited for clarity”
It's not. Now that the Rednecks are arrested and the State Attorney General said they are not innocent under Georgia laws, we have justice at hand. Demanding an investigation and a trial is the exact opposite of a lynch mob. The modern day lynch mob is a couple rednecks deciding to be judge jury and executioner. I have no idea why someone would accuse those of asking for an investigation and trial would try and compare that to a lynch mob. Somebody needs to look up the definition of a lynch mob.

03Lightningrocks

philip964 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:35 am Drudge Headline uses word - Hunted

No idea what was said.

Someone pointing a gun at you is definitely a threat. This guy had no way of knowing why two rednecks decided to block his path and threaten him with a gun. Put yourself in that guys position. You are jogging along and a couple guys with guns try to apprehend/ detain you. He or you would have no way of knowing their motives. Are you going to make some attempt at self defense if you realize there is no getting away? Of coarse you are. If not, why are you carrying a concealed weapon.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

I’m hearing the jogger was 13 miles from where he lived.

I’ll look further into it as he is a awesome jogger, runs a marathon every time he goes out running

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

philip964 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:01 pm I’m hearing the jogger was 13 miles from where he lived.

I’ll look further into it as he is a awesome jogger, runs a marathon every time he goes out running
26 miles in those shoes...?

Ya they shouldn't have killed him but he wasn't a jogger.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 091673001/

Guy who shot the video will be investigated.

“An attorney for Arbery's family has called for William "Roddie" Bryan, the man who filmed the incident, to be arrested.”

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cellphone-vid ... d=70509641

He was ambushed by two gunmen.

Another article quoted his father:

“Marcus Arbery said his son, who aspired to be a boxer, was athletic and known for taking daily jogs.”

The man with the rifle was 63 and didn’t jog.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:04 pm
philip964 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:01 pm I’m hearing the jogger was 13 miles from where he lived.

26 miles in those shoes...?

Ya they shouldn't have killed him but he wasn't a jogger.
Not a lot of information on line but doing a map search from the center of Brunwick to the Center of Satilla Drive is about 8 miles, but there is a big long bridge that goes over the Brunswick River that you would have to jog across. I mean it could have one of those protected sidewalks for pedestrians, but that wouldn't be the first thing I would want to jog across. The whole area is on the coast and looks swampy between the two places. Highway 17 connects the two spots unless you want to jog along interstate 95. A big stretch before the bridge as your heading to Brunswick from Satilla Drive looks to be a causeway. Again not a great place to jog. I'll do a little more research.

03Lightningrocks

The article I saw said Arbery was a short jog from his neighborhood.
Mr. Arbery was killed in Satilla Shores, a quiet middle-class enclave about 15 minutes from downtown Brunswick and a short jog from Mr. Arbery’s neighborhood.
Could be typical anti gun slant from leftist media but that is what they said. I would like to know the definition of "short jog".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/a ... orgia.html

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:12 pm The article I saw said Arbery was a short jog from his neighborhood.
Mr. Arbery was killed in Satilla Shores, a quiet middle-class enclave about 15 minutes from downtown Brunswick and a short jog from Mr. Arbery’s neighborhood.
Could be typical anti gun slant from leftist media but that is what they said. I would like to know the definition of "short jog".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/a ... orgia.html

Maps says 15 min by car because it’s a highway. Probably 60 mph speed limit. It’s in no way a short jog.
Last edited by philip964 on Fri May 08, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”