HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Ravendove
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Post by Ravendove »

I appreciate the welcome. I'm currently living in Richardson and I like it very much.

It doesn't really come as a surprise to hear you say we had it easier. I would have figured Texas, of all places, would have allowed open carry from the beginning. On the other hand, you did have a restaurant carry law before we did. That, of course has the 51 and up limitation whereas TN's law doesn't. While I'm sure you're right to a large degree as to the reason for the lack of 30.06 postings, I think it may also have had something to do with the lack of furor over it. As compared to a law allowing people to carry guns, a law about a sign doesn't really pull people's attention as much.

Either way, I'm all for having carry-mode specific sign requirements. I think that's the way it should be. I just don't think killing the bill for a lack of that is the way to go, or at least not the only way. I think just allowing open carry and giving people a chance to see how it works would go a long way. I, myself, have educated a lot of people who would ask about my carrying. I've changed a lot of minds by being a gentleman and showing people that you don't have to be crazy to carry a gun. I've also educated a good number of people who didn't ask. Maybe I'm not a typical OC supporter, or at least a typical texas OC supporter, but I really don't think there would be backlash. You don't have to expect repercussions to want to do something right the first time.

But as I said, I'm all for the proper signage and I think we should all get behind it. Of course, at this point I just wonder if there's enough time for that to happen this session.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 74novaman »

Ravendove wrote:I appreciate the welcome. I'm currently living in Richardson and I like it very much.

It doesn't really come as a surprise to hear you say we had it easier. I would have figured Texas, of all places, would have allowed open carry from the beginning.
Thanks to the War Between the States. Even when we threw out the carpetbaggers and wrote a new constitution, apparently the politicians decided they liked some of the power that the Reconstruction era govt had enjoyed and kept the right to "regulate the wearing of arms". :bigmouth

Our 2A rights have been infringed upon for more than 150 years now. I hope it doesn't take as long to get it all back, but it is going to take some time and thoughtful planning, as opposed to a "gimme everything right now or I'll call you an anti" approach. Even some native born Texans have grown up used to the idea that we only have what gun rights the govt decides we get to. We have years of programming to overcome. But we'll get there.
TANSTAAFL

mreavis
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mreavis »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mreavis wrote:I also would not be surprised if 30.06 signs increased in areas and I would not like that either. However, at this time, we do not have a given right to carry into every business. That is why they made the 30.06 sign. If you want to fight against that sign or restriction that is of arguable merit. Open carry itself though is not truly about that. Choosing to not have open carry (a separate but important right) simply because it will further educate people on gun laws (30.06 signs) is a step in the over-all wrong direction. Although you or I may not agree with 30.06 signs, if we want to do this the real way, we will fight the sign and restrictions itself. Not try to preserve the lack of knowledge about the laws. Who knows, maybe open carry would even show people guns are not so scary in public in the hands of licensed holders.

I acknowledge the gorilla warfare tactic of hiding the right to post 30.06 signs from business owners. And I agree this will effect that. I just don't think that should be our biggest focus.
TPC §30.06 is not unfair to CHLs or an imposition on us; it literally saved us from being shut out of a huge percentage of businesses. If TPC §30.06 were repealed, CHLs could be barred simply by posting a generic "no guns" sign or decal. The last thing we want to to do away with §30.06. The next to the last thing we want is to have §30.06 amended to apply to both open and concealed carry.

Chas.
I agree. The uniform sign is a needed if restrictions on carrying are to be represented for state laws. I simply meant we cannot be afraid to gain our right of open carry because of 30.06 sign back lash. 30.06 signs already exist and are law. I don't think its beneficial to the big picture to not support open carry because as a more informed gun law activist you understand the common public will learn more about how to legally ban your carry. Don't get me wrong I don't want more 30.06 signs. However, if we bank on lack of education to keep 30.06 away and ignore our open carry we are losing in my opinion. We cannot avoid expanding these rights simply because we are afraid of educating our 'enemies' on our weaknesses(their rights?).

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jasonw560 »

74novaman wrote:
Ravendove wrote:I appreciate the welcome. I'm currently living in Richardson and I like it very much.

It doesn't really come as a surprise to hear you say we had it easier. I would have figured Texas, of all places, would have allowed open carry from the beginning.
Thanks to the War Between the States. Even when we threw out the carpetbaggers and wrote a new constitution, apparently the politicians decided they liked some of the power that the Reconstruction era govt had enjoyed and kept the right to "regulate the wearing of arms". :bigmouth

Our 2A rights have been infringed upon for more than 150 years now. I hope it doesn't take as long to get it all back, but it is going to take some time and thoughtful planning, as opposed to a "gimme everything right now or I'll call you an anti" approach. Even some native born Texans have grown up used to the idea that we only have what gun rights the govt decides we get to. We have years of programming to overcome. But we'll get there.
They kept Austin weird even back then. We apparently didn't keep all the carpetbaggers out. Some like the Republic of Texas better than the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

WE have to be the ones who do the de-programming. Start at home.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

johnferg69
Posts in topic: 21

Post by johnferg69 »

74novaman wrote:

Some of us native Texans spent some time in foreign lands where open carry is strongly encouraged. Re-programming complete!

Ravendove

Post by Ravendove »

74novaman wrote:Our 2A rights have been infringed upon for more than 150 years now. I hope it doesn't take as long to get it all back, but it is going to take some time and thoughtful planning, as opposed to a "gimme everything right now or I'll call you an anti" approach. Even some native born Texans have grown up used to the idea that we only have what gun rights the govt decides we get to. We have years of programming to overcome. But we'll get there.
I don't think it'll take a century. Although I certainly agree that a name calling approach would only slow things down for us, as would an "I want it all right now!" approach. I think it's important to realize that gaining some victory can lead to further victory down the road. As far as the programming is concerned, I think Texas is further along than Tennessee. When I talked to people in TN about their stance on gun rights, it was a pretty mixed bag. I'd say more than half of those I spoke to were against. Whereas here, I've been hard pressed to find anyone against gun rights. There are a few people I know who moved over from China within the last year or two who don't like guns but that's about it.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Purplehood »

Ravendove wrote:
74novaman wrote:Our 2A rights have been infringed upon for more than 150 years now. I hope it doesn't take as long to get it all back, but it is going to take some time and thoughtful planning, as opposed to a "gimme everything right now or I'll call you an anti" approach. Even some native born Texans have grown up used to the idea that we only have what gun rights the govt decides we get to. We have years of programming to overcome. But we'll get there.
I don't think it'll take a century. Although I certainly agree that a name calling approach would only slow things down for us, as would an "I want it all right now!" approach. I think it's important to realize that gaining some victory can lead to further victory down the road. As far as the programming is concerned, I think Texas is further along than Tennessee. When I talked to people in TN about their stance on gun rights, it was a pretty mixed bag. I'd say more than half of those I spoke to were against. Whereas here, I've been hard pressed to find anyone against gun rights. There are a few people I know who moved over from China within the last year or two who don't like guns but that's about it.
I envy you. I am awash in folks that are appalled that people "need" to have those nasty guns. I admit that I know a lot of folks who are the opposite, but they are simply a significant minority in my experience.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

JKTex
Posts in topic: 24

Post by JKTex »

mreavis wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mreavis wrote:I also would not be surprised if 30.06 signs increased in areas and I would not like that either. However, at this time, we do not have a given right to carry into every business. That is why they made the 30.06 sign. If you want to fight against that sign or restriction that is of arguable merit. Open carry itself though is not truly about that. Choosing to not have open carry (a separate but important right) simply because it will further educate people on gun laws (30.06 signs) is a step in the over-all wrong direction. Although you or I may not agree with 30.06 signs, if we want to do this the real way, we will fight the sign and restrictions itself. Not try to preserve the lack of knowledge about the laws. Who knows, maybe open carry would even show people guns are not so scary in public in the hands of licensed holders.

I acknowledge the gorilla warfare tactic of hiding the right to post 30.06 signs from business owners. And I agree this will effect that. I just don't think that should be our biggest focus.
TPC §30.06 is not unfair to CHLs or an imposition on us; it literally saved us from being shut out of a huge percentage of businesses. If TPC §30.06 were repealed, CHLs could be barred simply by posting a generic "no guns" sign or decal. The last thing we want to to do away with §30.06. The next to the last thing we want is to have §30.06 amended to apply to both open and concealed carry.

Chas.
I agree. The uniform sign is a needed if restrictions on carrying are to be represented for state laws. I simply meant we cannot be afraid to gain our right of open carry because of 30.06 sign back lash. 30.06 signs already exist and are law. I don't think its beneficial to the big picture to not support open carry because as a more informed gun law activist you understand the common public will learn more about how to legally ban your carry. Don't get me wrong I don't want more 30.06 signs. However, if we bank on lack of education to keep 30.06 away and ignore our open carry we are losing in my opinion. We cannot avoid expanding these rights simply because we are afraid of educating our 'enemies' on our weaknesses(their rights?).
mreavis, that makes no sense, unless you're trying to say that it's more important to push for open carry, regardless of how far an ill-though bill rushed in last minute could set us back. Unless you don't understand the problem with the bill as it's written now. It gives a business that does not want civilians carrying a handgun openly (and if you don't think just about the places you go will, you have to consider the places you don't go or other parts of the state) no other choice but to ban all legal licensed carry as there will be no legal difference in carrying concealed or open, just legally carry. In a perfect world that would be great, but it's way more complex than that. It's irresponsible, careless and extremely selfish of those that just want to "fight" for open carry with no regard to those that want to protect concealed carry. Open carry has to be approached responsibly and cautiously. The bill as it stands now, does neither.

NEB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NEB »

I envy you. I am awash in folks that are appalled that people "need" to have those nasty guns. I admit that I know a lot of folks who are the opposite, but they are simply a significant minority in my experience.
Well, that's because you live in Houston where there tends to be a higher concentration of transplanted yanks and loons who moved to this great land following the scent of money. :mrgreen: :lol:

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

Ravendove wrote:As far as the programming is concerned, I think Texas is further along than Tennessee. When I talked to people in TN about their stance on gun rights, it was a pretty mixed bag. I'd say more than half of those I spoke to were against. Whereas here, I've been hard pressed to find anyone against gun rights. There are a few people I know who moved over from China within the last year or two who don't like guns but that's about it.
Go have the same conversation in Frisco, or Flower Mound or Southlake (I could go on) where the population grown has been the highest in the nation, and where the population is 60%-75% transplants from all over the country. Go ask the same questions at Chili's or Chucky Cheese or Cotten Patch when the same population is having a soccer team get together, or to Lowes, Home Depot or the Calloways on a busy Saturday. Or during the day before the kids need to be picked up from school, go to the grocery store's and ask the parents doing some quick shopping. You'll find some very different opinions.

I live in FM and while I completely support open carry itself, I currently carry concealed when going out with other families yet would never even think about carrying openly with them because I know some will be very uncomfortable or worse. I honestly can't think of a time or place that I would regularly openly carry around here just due to the very high potential of causing alarm with some nut which regardless of my rights, I don't want to deal with. I would likely carry differently more often, just not fully open. However there are places where I go and would have no problem carrying anything I wanted because it's just different (and kinda nice actually :) )

It's complex especially when you go from one part of the state to another, and just going from one place to another here in the DFW area. Texas is jam packed with transplants from other states and countries who think they need to change the state to be more like what they're used to, and what a lot of people are used to is scary. Texas is complex.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Did not have time to read the entire post, sorry! What are the chances of open carry passing???
I thought this would go nowhere without the proper support...its appears to have none of
the support it needs to pass? Thanks!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

safety1 wrote:Did not have time to read the entire post, sorry! What are the chances of open carry passing???
I thought this would go nowhere without the proper support...its appears to have none of
the support it needs to pass? Thanks!
:lol: You asked a doozy. You really need to read a lot of the thread to see the issues with it. But sit tight. Whether it even has enough time may be known soon.

redlin67

Post by redlin67 »

From what I understand, if it not put on the calendar by tomorrow, it will die. Looks like it will not make it this go round unless Lavender can do magic.
Taurus PT111
Ruger LCP

5/26/10 Plastic

To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage.
Confucius

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 35

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

A Member sent me this post from OpenCarry.org. I'm sure I don't have to say this for our long-term Members, but for the folks who just joined us and for our guests, neither the NRA, TSRA, nor I have opposed HB2756, either formally or informally. We did not rewrite the Bill, we did not delay its filing, and we did nothing to delay a public hearing or a committee vote.

To use Sen. Wentworth's analogy, this seems like "Groundhog Day;" another legislative session goes by without open-carry being passed -- and of course its the fault of NRA and TSRA!

Chas.
From OpenCarry.org wrote:According to "Leslie" in the office of Chairman of the Calenders Committee - Representative Todd Hunter- HB 2756 - IS NOT DEAD IN THE WATER.

She is quite familiar with HB 2756 as a result of the incessant phone calls her office has been receiving supporting the bill from YOU !(despite the fact that
the TSRA & NRA are opposing it)

YES- I said the TSRA and the NRA are OPPOSING IT ! Exactly WHO do you suppose they are representing in Texas ??? Not ME ! Because the NRA no longer can count me in their "membership" tally.

She said the Calendars Committee is still working on a "solution" to get HB 2756 scheduled.

Don't throw the towel in yet. Representative lavender is working FOR EVERY TEXAS CITIZEN to get this constitutional bill moving forward. It ain't over yet.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles...You are just not a sarcastic type of guy!!! It just doesn't fit... :smilelol5: :thumbs2: :tiphat:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”