SB 354 is being discussed NOW!

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Re: SB 354 is being discussed NOW!

Post by RPB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The bill is pulled down until Monday. No one is going to change Sen. Ogden's mind, but it should would be interesting if his phones and fax lines stayed busy for the next four days. (I'm not kidding.)

Chas.
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senat ... /dist5.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 9

Post by baldeagle »

I am so irritated right now that I could spit. I can guarantee you that every single one of the 31 Senators will be hearing from me shortly.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

aggiedev
Posts in topic: 2

Post by aggiedev »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The bill is pulled down until Monday. No one is going to change Sen. Ogden's mind, but it should would be interesting if his phones and fax lines stayed busy for the next four days. (I'm not kidding.)

Chas.
Would you happen to have any suggested wording or specific things to ask of his office--other than to pull his head out of the sand?

74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 74novaman »

aggiedev wrote:

Chas.
Would you happen to have any suggested wording or specific things to ask of his office--other than to pull his head out of the sand?
x2.

Is this a simple: Support Campus Carry type of message or a "we're disappointed in you for your illogical ramblings on the senate floor and general underhandedness?"
TANSTAAFL

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Well, I woke up just in time to see this thread. connect and see it will be going to Monday, but I called Ogden's office just now,
I'm no lawyer

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

aggiedev wrote:

Chas.
Tell them you are dismayed to see Sen. Ogden turn against responsible, law-abiding gun owners two sessions in a row. Last year on employer parking lots with a killer amendment and this year on campus-carry.

As always, be polite or it makes us and the movement look bad.

Chas.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

74novaman wrote:
aggiedev wrote:

Chas.
x2.

Is this a simple: Support Campus Carry type of message or a "we're disappointed in you for your illogical ramblings on the senate floor and general underhandedness?"
That sounds better than "Has he been drinking a lot this morning? He's standing there this morning looking like an idiot being against self-protection. Why the heck doesn't he care that I had a knife pulled on me in the parking lot and about the on campus armed robberies rapes and assaults , I'm 56 years old, handicapped and please tell him I'm severely disappointed. .....

I probably should have waited for your suggested text, but then I just woke up. :oops:
Last edited by RPB on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

aggiedev wrote:

Chas.
I'll jump in here too.

Being catty or hateful in the calls will not be helpful and may even hurt any potential for positive votes on other firearms bills. The best method is to 'respectfully' state you were 'disappointed in his opposition to SB 354 and would appreciate if he would reconsider his stance on the bill. And that you would request he support other firearms bills that are currently going through the Senate.'

That is a business-like method and will not be controversial or confrontational.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

:iagree:

I need coffee :oops:
I'm no lawyer

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Keith B wrote:
aggiedev wrote:

Chas.
I'll jump in here too.

Being catty or hateful in the calls will not be helpful and may even hurt any potential for positive votes on other firearms bills. The best method is to 'respectfully' state you were 'disappointed in his opposition to SB 354 and would appreciate if he would reconsider his stance on the bill. And that you would request he support other firearms bills that are currently going through the Senate.'

That is a business-like method and will not be controversial or confrontational.
You're right of course. Just so very hard to be polite when I just saw the most rambling, fence sitting argument against concealed carry ever used. John Woods is more coherent in his opposition than Ogden is.

I'll be sending some faxes asking him to reconsider his opposition and to unite with his fellow senators in advancing the freedoms we enjoy as Texans. :txflag:
TANSTAAFL

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

74novaman wrote:You're right of course. Just so very hard to be polite when I just saw the most rambling, fence sitting argument against concealed carry ever used. John Woods is more coherent in his opposition than Ogden is.

I'll be sending some faxes asking him to reconsider his opposition and to unite with his fellow senators in advancing the freedoms we enjoy as Texans. :txflag:
Rambling and fence sitting is not a bad thing nessecarily when your oponent does it. Many times it follows the line of 'better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.' Incoherant arguments will turn a lot of people off, and sometimes actually sway them in the other direction. The opponents that have logical arguments and can clearly speak to them are the ones that scare me.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TracerTong
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TracerTong »

As of right now do we have the 21 votes to pass?

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
As always, be polite or it makes us and the movement look bad.

Chas.
Worth quoting, because I had to chant it to myself several times before I could start typing out a civil, respectful fax. :txflag:
TANSTAAFL

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Jasonw560 »

TracerTong wrote:As of right now do we have the 21 votes to pass?
The way Moe, Larry, and Curly were talking, it does sound like we do have the votes to pass it.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Jasonw560 »

calling Sen. Lucio's office and seeing what amendment he wants to put on it. A staffer will call me back.

Already called Sen. Ogden, and I was respectful to his staffer.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”