HB 750, SB 354, voter education efforts??

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

HB 750, SB 354, voter education efforts??

Postby austin-tatious » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Do we have any organized public education effort regarding the campus carry bill going on to counteract the straw man arguments being put forth by those who have not read the bill or are just lying about it? Every time I hear someone rant about "drunk college students shooting up the campus" :banghead: I want to get in that someone's face, or at least politely challenge them to tell me what the bill actually does.

{edited title to reflect TSRA bill numbers}
Last edited by austin-tatious on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austin-tatious
Senior Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: austin

Re: HB86 again, voter education efforts??

Postby Keith B » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Not sure what 'voter' education you mean. This will not go to public vote, but would be passed by the Texas Legislature. And, there is an organization that is very active in this and educating those legislators that would vote on it, called the TSRA Political Action Committee. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and RSO

If you are ever attacked by a gang of clowns, go for the juggler.
User avatar
Keith B
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14935
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: HB86 again, voter education efforts??

Postby austin-tatious » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Keith B wrote:Not sure what 'voter' education you mean. This will not go to public vote, but would be passed by the Texas Legislature. And, there is an organization that is very active in this and educating those legislators that would vote on it, called the TSRA Political Action Committee. :thumbs2:

This is true. And I'm supporting TSRA in that. However, I hear way too much on local radio and papers from "men/women on the street" about how guns on campus will result in unbridled violence. Obviously those people have never read these bills or had an accurate explanation of them. Consequently some legislators will be contacted to oppose the bills due to the constituents' ignorance. Is TSRA PAC contacting media to get the message out as to the truth about these bills? I suppose I'll know if I get in touch with TSRA PAC.
Last edited by austin-tatious on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
austin-tatious
Senior Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: austin

Re: HB 750, SB 354, voter education efforts??

Postby Liberty » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Students for Concealed Carry have been very effective in getting the word out to the legislators. This has been a 2 prong approach. WQith the groups working together well.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Liberty
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4296
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston

Re: HB 750, SB 354, voter education efforts??

Postby Keith B » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:42 am

Yes, I believe so for both TSRA and Students for Concealed Carry.

And, looking at both House bills for parking lot and campus carry and there are a lot of Reps already signed on supporting it. The House was where these dies last time I believe, so if they can get them through there and over to the Senate, hopefully they will get them to the floor and vote to pass them! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and RSO

If you are ever attacked by a gang of clowns, go for the juggler.
User avatar
Keith B
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14935
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: HB 750, SB 354, voter education efforts??

Postby austin-tatious » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:47 am

Keith B wrote:Yes, I believe so for both TSRA and Students for Concealed Carry.

And, looking at both House bills for parking lot and campus carry and there are a lot of Reps already signed on supporting it. The House was where these dies last time I believe, so if they can get them through there and over to the Senate, hopefully they will get them to the floor and vote to pass them! :thumbs2:

What do you all think about our own polite, reasoned letters to the editor campaign to educate the public better? Personally, I'm going to try that approach. And if I'm lucky enough to call into talk radio when/if they bring the subject up again, I'll pull over to the side of the road and dial up.
austin-tatious
Senior Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: austin

Re: HB 750, SB 354, voter education efforts??

Postby Keith B » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 am

austin-tatious wrote:
Keith B wrote:Yes, I believe so for both TSRA and Students for Concealed Carry.

And, looking at both House bills for parking lot and campus carry and there are a lot of Reps already signed on supporting it. The House was where these dies last time I believe, so if they can get them through there and over to the Senate, hopefully they will get them to the floor and vote to pass them! :thumbs2:

What do you all think about our own polite, reasoned letters to the editor campaign to educate the public better? Personally, I'm going to try that approach. And if I'm lucky enough to call into talk radio when/if they bring the subject up again, I'll pull over to the side of the road and dial up.


Personally, I wouldn't. The quieter the better IMO. I might respond to an article or coverage, but unless it is out there currently as a hot active topic in the news, I would let sleeping dogs sleep. The less coverage this gets in the press, the easier it will be to pass IMO.
Keith
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and RSO

If you are ever attacked by a gang of clowns, go for the juggler.
User avatar
Keith B
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14935
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Plano, TX


Return to 2011 Texas Legislative Session

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest