Guess Who Supports Burnam's HB356!

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Guess Who Supports Burnam's HB356!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I find it very interesting and enlightening that Mr. Anthony Orozco III and his Texas Association of Concealed Carry ("TACCI") Instructors are strong supporters of F-rated Lon Burnam's anti-gun HB356. In fact, it's quite possible that Rep. Burnam filed HB356 at the request of TACCI, but that's unconfirmed. Mr. Orozco confirmed that the Mr. York who testified in favor of HB356 did so on behalf of TACCI. Do not confuse TACCI with the Texas Concealed Handgun Instructors Association that has not supported anti-gun legislation.

While acknowledging that most of the TACCI members supported HB356 for financial reasons, Mr. Orozco also claims that his organization and its members are primarily concerned with safety. What a load of absolute garbage! Safety has nothing to do with it. If it did, Mr. Orozco and TACCI would oppose any and all reciprocity agreements.

Before you register for a new or renewal CHL class, you way want to check the TACCI website and see if your instructor is a member of TACCI. Better yet, check the TACCI website and ask the instructor. If you want to use an instructor that is a member of TACCI, that's fine, but make the decision after being fully informed.

I never would have believed that any organization holding itself out as valuing the Second Amendment would support (or even champion) an anti-gun bill solely for money.

Chas.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Guess Who Supports Burnam's HB356!

Post by Rex B »

I wrote them an email. If I get a response I'll let you know.

ETA: I found this on their website, a bit ironic:

"This association will never work to undermine any existing associations, but will instead work to compliment other's [sic] agendas, [sic] and to work with them as closely as possible in order to attain like objectives in so far as CHL regulations are concerned."
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

snorri
Posts in topic: 1

Post by snorri »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:In fact, it's quite possible that Rep. Burnam filed HB356 at the request of TACCI, but that's unconfirmed. Mr. Orozco confirmed that the Mr. York who testified in favor of HB356 did so on behalf of TACCI.
Thanks for posting this. I always suspected HB356 was really about the money.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I am not surprised, at all. This is the same organization that fought the Motorist Protection Act, and swore to work to get it overturned. Why? Because it would put CHL instructors out of business!

Orozco made this presentation at the last CHL instructor renewal class that we attended. Not sure how many of the renewal classes he attended, but he was camped out at that one - selling his DVDs and pushing his agenda.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Slowplay

Post by Slowplay »

IMHO, these folks are very short-sighted and/or just can't see things in perspective. For them to think they'll end up ahead by doing bidding for anti-gun Burnam, is very naive.

I found my CHL class instructor on that organization's list - I can't say I'm surprised based on the anti-Utah license comments and marketing pitches for products and other training services made during class. I had already decided to never recommend that instructor before seeing his name on the list.
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Crossfire wrote:I am not surprised, at all. This is the same organization that fought the Motorist Protection Act, and swore to work to get it overturned. Why? Because it would put CHL instructors out of business!

Orozco made this presentation at the last CHL instructor renewal class that we attended. Not sure how many of the renewal classes he attended, but he was camped out at that one - selling his DVDs and pushing his agenda.
I'm pretty sure the instructor I'll be renewing with isn't a member. ;-)
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmra

Post by jmra »

My instructor is not on the list. I did notice an instructor listed as living in my small town (Midlothian) - never heard of him. May have to give him a call and let him know why I drive to Arlington for my classes instead of walking down the street.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Burn
Banned

Post by Burn »

HB 356 is a common sense law that closes an unintended loophole, and it deserves support from gun owners and concerned citizens alike.

The CHL law has many requirements in place that limit eligibility for a Texas CHL. The Texas Legislature created those elibibility requirements to prevent Texans from carrying hidden handguns unless they are eligible, i.e. they satisfy all of the requirements for a Texas CHL.

HB 356 was introduced this session to ensure Texas residents are properly trained according to Texas law and can pass the Texas criminal background check, before they're allowed to carry handguns in churches, shopping malls, parks where children are playing, and other public places. We can't change the requirements in other states but we can and should make sure Texas satisfy all requirements before they pack heat in Texas.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Burn wrote:HB 356 is a common sense law that closes an unintended loophole ...
This statement alone makes me against this bill.
NRA Endowment Member

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

WildBill wrote:
I know its "common sense" just like all other anti-gun laws. Burn, are you a member of "tacky" (TACCI)?
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Burn wrote:HB 356 is a common sense law that closes an unintended loophole, and it deserves support from gun owners and concerned citizens alike.
Where have I heard that garbage line before? Oh yeah, Sarah Brady uses it all the time.

Chas.

Burn
Banned

Post by Burn »

warhorse10_9 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
I know its "common sense" just like all other anti-gun laws. Burn, are you a member of "tacky" (TACCI)?
I welcome debate on the issues but who I am is unimportent except to people slinging ad hominem attacks.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Burn wrote:
warhorse10_9 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
I welcome debate on the issues but who I am is unimportent except to people slinging ad hominem attacks.
It's a legitimate inquiry and I must admit I'm not surprised you wouldn't respond. Bye troll.

Chas.

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Burn wrote:
warhorse10_9 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
It's a legitimate inquiry and I must admit I'm not surprised you wouldn't respond. Bye troll.

Chas.
:thumbs2:

And the BanHammer swingeth. Bye Burn!
Last edited by warhorse10_9 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

WildBill wrote:
:iagree: :iagree:

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck....

Hi, Mrs. Brady!!! :boxing
TANSTAAFL

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”