Lucio's amendment

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 7

Lucio's amendment

Post by Jasonw560 »

The is a HS connected with a commnity college in Kingsville. Coastal Bend College and I think King HS. All Lucio wants is this one campus to be exempted because of its sharing a campus with the public high school. I don't think that will lessen the integrity of the bill.

The staffer told me as long as this amendment is included, Sen. Lucio is G2G with the bill. So the 21st vote to suspend the rules is in tact.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Lucio's amendment

Post by baldeagle »

I'll believe it when the vote is recorded.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

¿Qué?

Post by ¿Qué? »

baldeagle wrote:I'll believe it when the vote is recorded.
:iagree:

I don't even understand his argument. A 50 year old college professor shouldn't be allowed to carry in his own classroom because there are high school students in a nearby building? That makes no sense.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Is he wanting to exempt the buildings the high school regularly uses or the entire college campus? In situations like that, the high school uses a few buildings exclusively and rarely ventures further.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Hoi Polloi wrote:Is he wanting to exempt the buildings the high school regularly uses or the entire college campus? In situations like that, the high school uses a few buildings exclusively and rarely ventures further.
Dunno. We'll see Monday.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

NorthTexas

Post by NorthTexas »

Jasonw560 wrote:The is a HS connected with a commnity college in Kingsville. Coastal Bend College and I think King HS. All Lucio wants is this one campus to be exempted because of its sharing a campus with the public high school.
As much as I want Lucio's vote to suspend the rules, I am a bit worried about this. There may be more of these HS/College combined campuses out there than we realize.

I'll admit I'm not 100% clear on the process from here on out to getting the bills passed into law. If Lucio gets this amendment, does it go straight to a vote, or will there still be opportunities for others to insert amendments or make changes?
Last edited by NorthTexas on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member

NorthTexas

Post by NorthTexas »

Deleted.
Last edited by NorthTexas on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I just sent this to Senator Gallegos.
Senator Gallegos, I understand that you have been bombarded with calls from people opposed to SB 354. I'm not surprised. The anti-gun lobby is adept at drumming up what seems like a tidal wave of opposition to bills they don't like. This one, in particular, has drawn national attention, because the anti-gun lobby sees it as a watershed event that would initiate a trend in other states as well.

As a CHL holder, I am understandably proud of our record. According to the most recently released DPS statistics, we are fifteen times less likely to commit any crime than the average citizen. I have even read that our conviction rate is lower than Texas law enforcement!

I can understand if adjustments need to be made to accommodate constituents, but I beg of you, Senator, please allow this bill to come to a vote. We law abiding CHL holders at least deserve to have a chance at being able to defend our lives in a life-threatening situation at work.

I work at a public university in Texas. Even though my employer can authorize me to carry at work, they will never do that unless they are compelled to do it by the force of law. As a military veteran it pains me to have to beg for the chance to exercise a fundamental Constitutional right, but that's the position we've been put in.

Please, Senator, please vote to suspend the rules and allow SB 354 to come to a vote on the Senate floor. Haven't we earned at least that much consideration?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

CBC has a dual enrollment program. Maybe since there's HS kids on the campus, he wnts an exemption. We need to see ge amendment.

Coogan

Post by Coogan »

This amendment needs to be worded so that it only restricts the buildings where the primary or secondary school children have dormitories -- not the entire campus.
Last edited by Coogan on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skaven

Post by Skaven »

There is one here in San Antonio. North East Lakeview college has integrated highschool students in the college, as well as a high school on the campus.

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Skaven wrote:There is one here in San Antonio. North East Lakeview college has integrated highschool students in the college, as well as a high school on the campus.
I probably can't call Sen. Lucio's office today to ask his staff more in depth questions, but if someone else wants to...

(512) 463-0127.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

High school kids are ok at Harrold ISd where some adults with CHLs are armed, why make only those kids safer?
:mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

RPB wrote:High school kids are ok at Harrold ISd where some adults with CHLs are armed, why make only those kids safer?
:mrgreen:
I told the staffer that. He stiffly said, "Well, we didn't get their permission, so we're offering this amendment."

I'll do some digging and find out what HS this is associated with, and maybe shoot them a firm, yet polite and factual, email.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

most/many community colleges have dual enrollment, hadn't even occurred to me, honestly the majority of these kids are homeschooled and are more familiar with guns than the average public-schooler (ok, I plead guilty to a broad generalization, sorry, I did say average)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”