Governor has HB 25-guns in Boats (on campus lol)

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Gr8_Outdoorsman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: House Calendar Tuesday HB 25 - guns in boats

Post by Gr8_Outdoorsman »

RPB wrote:
whodat1 wrote:While I've been following the 'Parking Lot' and 'Campus Carry' bills closely, I haven't paid much attention to this one (I don't have a boat). I just was wondering, how does this apply to boats on a lake owned by the COE?
Can't carry on COE lakes/property; no matter what Texas law says ... UNLESS you get written permission from the District Commander (like asking the U.T. President for the same thing ... good luck with that)

So, for example ... in addition to CHLs carrying in canoes/kayaks going down the San Gabriel river (Brazos River Authority) and having someone in a car meet them twice at each lake to have them drive the gun around the lake and meet on the other end ... there will also be unlicensed "MPA types" in canoes/kayaks/boats/jetskis .... meeting cars at the upper ends of COE lakes, to have them drive the gun around the lake and meet on the other end .... so they can be armed on Brazos River Authority waters .... until they reach the next lake where ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gabrie ... 28Texas%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they'll need someone to meet them at the upper end of the COE lake to get their gun, drive to the other end to meet them so they can re-arm and continue down the river

Texas laws aren't recognized by the USACOE; in a nutshell, you can't carry on COE property/lakes... I'm sure all the MPA carriers know not to have a gun in the car on their parking lots :lol: So of course all boaters/canoeists/kayakers will know to have someone "portage" their gun around the COE lakes so they can put them back in the boat on the other end .... all the while keeping them concealed while transferring but

"directly en route to a motor vehicle

or watercraft"

Should cover the transfer from car to boat and boat to car for unlicensed people ... I hope.
If it's not in plain view ...
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 00025H.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow,,, I haven't heard of this before. I have a fish camp on Sam Rayburn and have grown up hunting and fishing around that lake since I was a toddler. If this is the case, how is it that duck hunting is allowed ON the lake?
9/4/2010 CHL Class
10/12/2010 Plastic in Hand

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Re: update Senate local/uncontested Calendar HB 25-guns in b

Post by Jasonw560 »

Just saw it passed. :cheers2: :anamatedbanana :thewave
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Re: House Calendar Tuesday HB 25 - guns in boats

Post by RPB »

Gr8_Outdoorsman wrote:
Wow,,, I haven't heard of this before. I have a fish camp on Sam Rayburn and have grown up hunting and fishing around that lake since I was a toddler. If this is the case, how is it that duck hunting is allowed ON the lake?
I'm not a hunter, dunno anything about State/Federal waterfowl/duck hunting stamps etc .... I fish, but I know certain ACOE areas permit hunting in their regs
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RHenriksen

Re: update Senate local/uncontested Calendar HB 25-guns in b

Post by RHenriksen »

Jasonw560 wrote:Just saw it passed. :cheers2: :anamatedbanana :thewave
Nice! Won't affect me personally, but progress nonetheless.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ll=HB%2025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Re: Passsed HB 25-guns in Boats (on campus lol)

Post by RPB »

My twittter has had issues all day, when it's fixed I wanna tweet (Thanks "for giving UT rowing team guns" without CHL training background checks)

I still never found where these Senators were giving students guns ... musta been like that buyback program, poorly advertised location?

I"ll wait till Perry signs it though or the 10/20 days if he doesn't... until it is law :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jasonw560 »

RPB wrote:My twittter has had issues all day, when it's fixed I wanna tweet (Thanks "for giving UT rowing team guns" without CHL training background checks)

I still never found where these Senators were giving students guns ... musta been like that buyback program, poorly advertised location?

I"ll wait till Perry signs it though or the 10/20 days if he doesn't... until it is law :mrgreen:
That will be classic. I'll be lookng for it.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

E Sent to the Governor 05/27/2011
S Signed in the Senate 05/27/2011
H Signed in the House 05/27/2011
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... &Bill=HB25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RPB on Sat May 28, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Now that it's on its way to the Gov. I'll comment more:

Just gotta say; I don't drink, but I spend only a little time each year kayaking/fishing, but spent MANY years in college .... guess where I've seen more people drinking? Not in college. Frat parties my foot. I never went to one, was too busy getting into 5 honor societies working towards better paychecks. Lots of boaters though say "I'll bring the beer and pay for gas if you let me ride 'backseat' in your boat fishing" ... very common, though I don't drink.

They're more willing to allow "untrained-unlicensed-no background check" MPA type people guns in boats drinking beer, partly because of Lake Falcon Bandits/murderer/Pirates etc. but they ignore the daily news reports and never see the Campus Police Alerts reports. Like: http://www.alamo.edu/district/dps/seclinks/alerts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Governor has HB 25-guns in Boats (on campus lol)

Post by Liberty »

There are those who live and work on their boats. These people, may be more vulnerable than those of us who live in houses or drive to work in our automobiles and work in plants and offices. Out in the Gulf and Bays one is on their own.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

What is Lon Burnum doing about "the kayak problem" next session? At least the Utah licensees get some training and have to pass a background check. The people carrying in kayaks and bass boats after Sept 1st won't even have that! :shock:

:evil2: :lol: :lol:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Liberty wrote:There are those who live and work on their boats. These people, may be more vulnerable than those of us who live in houses or drive to work in our automobiles and work in plants and offices. Out in the Gulf and Bays one is on their own.
If your boat is that big, a shotgun or rifle could be a better choice for defense, same as home defense,
and it's always (in my lifetime) been legal to have a long gun most places in Texas without a gun license.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

tbrown wrote:
Liberty wrote:There are those who live and work on their boats. These people, may be more vulnerable than those of us who live in houses or drive to work in our automobiles and work in plants and offices. Out in the Gulf and Bays one is on their own.
If your boat is that big, a shotgun or rifle could be a better choice for defense, same as home defense,
and it's always (in my lifetime) been legal to have a long gun most places in Texas without a gun license.
Yup, a shotgun is a better choice sometimes. but it isn't real handy topside for working on a shrimp boat, or even a good sized sailing yacht. One can keep a handgun on their person, at most all times. It can be difficult to keep a shotgun within arms reach at all times while toplside. There is also the tactical advantage of concealment. The way the law was written before, it was illegal to have a handgun in ones home (their houseboat) without a CHL.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

I'm bumping this one back up to see if I can get some expert legal advice. :lol: Ok, not legal advice, but an explanation that makes sense.

I am a boater, and I'll leave it at that. ;-)

I understand what HB25 does, but what I'm not clear about is Corp. lakes, like every one in the DFW area. Most, if not all (depending on the lake) is patrolled by local LEA's, not any Federal agency. Lands around some are broken up in multiple jurisdictions, like Lewisville. However, they are still corp. lakes.

1) What does SCR32 do, if anything?
2) How can Federal laws be enforced on Corp. lakes if there are no Federal authorities on the water
4) Bottom line, is firearm possession prohibited on Corp lakes?

LCRA and BRA have their own issues, and their own on water patrol, but it's usually harassment because they don't like the sound or speed, regardless of conditions.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

US Army Corps of Engineers Lakes
JKTex wrote:I'm bumping this one back up to see if I can get some expert legal advice. :lol: Ok, not legal advice, but an explanation that makes sense.

I am a boater, and I'll leave it at that. ;-)

4) Bottom line, is firearm possession prohibited on Corp lakes?
not yet legal, but if/after H.R. 1865 becomes law, then it will be legal.. First, committee, then House vote, then Senate still has to hear it, and get signed into law first

Occurred: Introduced May 12, 2011
Occurred: Referred to Committee View Committee Assignments
Not Yet Occurred: Reported by Committee ...
Not Yet Occurred: House Vote ...
Not Yet Occurred: Senate Vote ...
Not Yet Occurred: Signed by President ...

Here's status page http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-1865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

========================
Meanwhile, there was an amendment to a bill H.R. 2354( to not fund enforcement for ONE YEAR.... but as far as I know, that isn't "law" yet ... Senate hasn't voted on it yet

Here's Status page on that bill
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-2354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Occurred: Introduced Jun 24, 2011
Occurred: Referred to Committee View Committee Assignments
Occurred: Reported by Committee Jun 24, 2011
Occurred: Amendments (82 proposed) View Amendments
Occurred: Passed House Jul 15, 2011
Not Yet Occurred: Senate Vote ...
Not Yet Occurred: Signed by President ...

The amendment to H.R. 2354, the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Bill,
House Approves Altmire Amendment to Restrict Funds for Gun Enforcement on Army Corps Land PDF Print E-mail

July 14, 2011

http://altmire.house.gov/index.php?opti ... d&catid=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will continue to work to overturn this regulation, but, for now, defunding its enforcement is an excellent first step."
==========
Analogy: Just because I don't see a Policeman at the Stop Sign. or if Police agency has no funds to pay officers so they are all on strike, , doesn't mean I can run the Stop sign; it's still illegal.... I have never seen Federal Officers in the "Gun Free School Zones" to enforce that law ...

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets ... &issue=003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=46711&hilit=corps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rep Bob Gibbs @RepBobGibbs @Bob_Gibbs H.R. 1865, Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act http://gibbs.house.gov/press-release/co ... efense-act" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rep Bob Gibbs H.R. 1865, Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://therightofthepeople.org/h-r-1865 ... duced.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

===============================

SCR32

Assuming you mean http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=SCR32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caption Text: Expressing opposition to federal regulation of intrastate water resources.
Looks like it's a statement telling Feds that we are unhappy with them... a nasty note of displeasure which did nothing when Legislature ended
Last edited by RPB on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Bottom line
As of now, it is still illegal on USACE lakes/reservoirs etc, and they are still funded to enforce it, until something changes at the Federal Level.
I'm no lawyer

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”