Wanted: Slim 40 / 45

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Justin Franklin
Posts in topic: 2

Wanted: Slim 40 / 45

Post by Justin Franklin »

I am in search of a slim 40 or 45 for those times when I'm wearing clothing that makes it difficult to carry my XD 40. I have done a little looking around and found a Walther and Kahr, but I don't know much about the history and dependability of the Kahr. Any input would be appreciated.

Justin
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL
Concealed Handgun Classes in League City
http://www.setxchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fickman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wanted: Slim 40 / 45

Post by fickman »

I believe a 1911 will be the slimmest .45 you can find, with many options for a decent carry firearm.
Native Texian

SCone

Post by SCone »

Have a Para-Ordnance 7.45 LDA... Light Double Action trigger allows full cock-&-locked carry with the hammer down... has two Para mags & original box... need $695 out of her

Gearheart

Post by Gearheart »

I have shot an assortment of steel frame Kahrs and I have never had a problem with one. I have always avoided the plastic ones, and unfortunately, they don't make a steel frame .45.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

fickman wrote:I believe a 1911 will be the slimmest .45 you can find, with many options for a decent carry firearm.
You beat me to it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

A-R

Post by A-R »

Gearheart wrote:I have shot an assortment of steel frame Kahrs and I have never had a problem with one. I have always avoided the plastic ones, and unfortunately, they don't make a steel frame .45.
I had problems with my Kahr PM40. The gory details are posted elsewhere on this forum and I won't rehash them for fear of offending the Kahr kult members ( :biggrinjester: j/k). In a nutshell, paid over $600 for it new, carried it about a year, went through break-in without issue, but then starting have problems after 500 rounds. Traded it for a shotgun that was worth about $300. I too have heard better reports about the steel-frame Kahrs.

Own a Walther PPS 9mm and trust it with my life. But PPS is not problem free; some users have reported serious problems with slide release spring. Have heard of a few more problems with .40-cal than with 9mm versions, but this is just circumstantial (no hard statistical evidence). This is a good forum for discussions specifically related to the PPS http://ppstalk.com/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I had one minor problem with my PPS (broken internal part BUT gun still fired even with broken part). S&W's repair service was less than stellar (sent gun back saying it didn't have a problem when clearly the plastic striker guide was broken in half). Got hold of the right person and they shipped the part to me and I replaced it myself.

Other than that, not a single problem with that gun, which is VERY accurate - even with 3.2-inch barrel probably MORE accurate than my 4-inch barrel Glock 23. The gun has a nice grip and points well too. Had a few rough edges that I smoothed up a bit in the polymer frame (used a fine grit file around the goofy trigger-guard mounted mag release lever).

As for carry, the PPS is much more comfortable to carry than even a "baby" Glock. It disappears in a Crossbreed Supertuck under a tucked shirt.

If you really want a .45, and slim is most important feature, then 1911 is probably the way to go. I wouldn't trust the Kahr 45 (but again, that's just me - don't throw things, Kahr people). The Glock 36 is really no slimmer than a "standard" Glock in 9mm/.40/.357. Maybe a Sig 220 compact? I've held one and they "feel" thinner than a Glock, but not as thin as a 1911.

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Got 2 Kahrs in the family Wife has PM9 and I have a CW40 I have had no problems with them eating any ammo. Pull the trigger they go bang, operator error caused a problem with the slide lock spring getting bent but Kahr sent me a replacement by USPS watch the disassembley and reassembly video on their website it is much clearer than the manual and will save you the three days of kicking your self waiting for the mailman. I bent mine then watched the video before stripping and cleaning the wifes.

Accuracy with both is more than acceptable at 25yds and in. Easy carry and concealment with IWB in shorts and tee I suggest any color except white or yellow with the cover shirt due to the black Tupperware handles.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

There's a S&W 410 (40S&W) for sale on TX Gun Trader. It looks pretty slim.

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=62798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Munk

Post by Munk »

Kimber Ultra CDP II :patriot:
III%

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

I really have no problem with the Glock 30 (same frame as the G21) in .45 but the Glock 30 is noticably slimmer than the 30.

Bought one for my daughter and carried for a while before the next time I visited here out of state.

Quite happy with it (or the G30 which will itself disappear even under a T-shirt with the proper holster).

---
HerbM
HerbM

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

A 3" 1911 like a Colt Defender will tuck very well in most circumstances. I have used one for carry for a while, but changed and been carrying an STI Guardian for the last couple of months which is a 1911 with a grip sized the same as the Defender, but with a 4" barrel for a little more sight accuracy. The STI is very accurate compared to the Defender for me. Two to one or better improvement in group sizes (smaller). I have never had a failure of any kind with either of them and both have been fired more than 600-700 rounds. Both are .45acp.
Good luck.
Life member NRA and TSRA

Topic author
Justin Franklin

Post by Justin Franklin »

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and providing me with suggestions.
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL
Concealed Handgun Classes in League City
http://www.setxchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RiverRat wrote:A 3" 1911 like a Colt Defender will tuck very well in most circumstances. I have used one for carry for a while, but changed and been carrying an STI Guardian for the last couple of months which is a 1911 with a grip sized the same as the Defender, but with a 4" barrel for a little more sight accuracy. The STI is very accurate compared to the Defender for me. Two to one or better improvement in group sizes (smaller). I have never had a failure of any kind with either of them and both have been fired more than 600-700 rounds. Both are .45acp.
Good luck.
You can also find this configuration in other brands. All Kimber "Ultras" are 3" 1911s, and the "Pros" are 4" 1911s with the full-sized grip frames. But in some of the models, the "Compact" has the smaller grip frame of the "Ultras" with the 4" barrels of the "Pro" line.

One important thing to consider in this range of gun is whether it has a steel or alloy frame. The alloy frames are better suited for concealed carry because of the weight advantage.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Don't know your budget, but you may wish
to consider a Taurus PT745.

It's a single stack .45 ACP, capacity = 6 + 1.

Haven't handled one recently but it should meet your
slimness requirement. Possibly can be found at Academy for ~ $329.

The PT145's are Taurus Millenium double stack .45's, 10 + 1.
The PT745 is the single stack version of same.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

aggie06

Post by aggie06 »

Sounds like a great reason to buy a 1911.

Return to “Closed Items”