Cabelas - 100 Rnd Ammo Boxes ~$1.91 shipped

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
loktite
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Cabelas - 100 Rnd Ammo Boxes ~$1.91 shipped

Post by loktite »

Another reason: cardboard boxes will soak up moisture. Of course, the environment the boxes are in ( packed with dessicant, in a safe with a dehumidifier, or sitting on shelves in your laundry room :lol: ), along with how long you actually keep boxed ammo determines if that will ever be a factor worth considering.
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've come full circle.

I just bought 8 boxes that'll fit 5.56 as I'd rather forgotten I had an old Army ammo box full of loose 5.56 rounds, silly me...

Thanks to Loktite, Beiruty, and Skiprr.

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Abraham wrote:I've come full circle.

I just bought 8 boxes that'll fit 5.56 as I'd rather forgotten I had an old Army ammo box full of loose 5.56 rounds, silly me...

Thanks to Loktite, Beiruty, and Skiprr.
Wow...OK, I see how you are! J/K ;-)

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Beiruty »

Ordered 5 boxes already loaded some and they are stored in a zip lock bag
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

And if you're really OCD :mrgreen: with a sturdy plastic box you can do this:

Not completely OCD, though. A few years ago I bought a case of new production Black Hills .45 ACP match ammo for, well, match shooting. Haven't done much serious match shooting lately, so I just tucked the remaining boxes in a Foodsaver sleeve for vacuum sealing and storage. Each of those little boxes of 100 goes for almost $90 now, and I paid less than half that. So, strange as it looks, it's a cheap and effective way to put up ammo for long-term storage. No moisture gettin' in there until the bag is opened.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Even though I'm sure the deal has expired (haven't checked the Cabela's website), I just wanted to post a follow-up.

I bought 10 of the 100ct 223 clear-plastic boxes, and I am very impressed. Even if they had been on the flimsy side, they would still have been a phenomenal deal at $1.79 per.

But these things are every bit as sturdy--maybe more so--as the MTM Case Gard boxes I normally use. Solidly built: one empty box weighs almost 7 ounces; gives you an idea of the amount of material that goes into them.

And for me a plus over the MTMs: these Cabela's boxes have two hinged--actually hinged--joints at the rear of the box. The MTMs I have use a single strip of integrated plastic that flexes when opened...not terrible; I have many that have lasted for over a decade. But the flexing plastic will eventually fail, and it acts as a spring, holding the top of the box open a couple of inches. The Cabela's box will rest closed on its clasp, exposing less than a 1/4" gap. If you're doing benchrest shooting, or some application where you may want to load only one or three rounds at a time, being able to let the box rest closed without clasping it every time is a plus. An even bigger plus is that the Cabela's box will lie fully open, so you can load it with one hand. The MTM's flexi-plastic will not allow the box to rest open.

In short--and no doubt the reason for the great sale--Cabela's has converted me. The equivalent MTM boxes go for 5 bucks at Midway, and I'd pay the same price all day long for the Cabella's box instead.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I ordered 5, one came damaged on the corner. Good thing local Cabalas is just 2 miles, away and replacing it is any excuse to be Cabelas for some more shopping.
Beiruty,

Topic author
loktite

Post by loktite »

I'm quite certain the boxes are actually made by Berry's ( https://www.berrysmfg.com/ ), as they are completely identical save for the name stamp. Berry's charges $3.15 per box ( 100rd 223), and $15 shipping for any order under $75. If you order 50+ boxes of the same type and color, it gets discounted somewhere around 25%. The 100rd 223 boxes go from $3.15 a box down to $2.38 , and obviously that would put you over $75, so no shipping charges. If you only want a couple boxes, and aren't ordering bullets / reloading accessories, Cabela's makes more sense due to the shipping charges. Cabela's will discount the boxes 2-3 times a year to prices below what you could order 50 directly from Berry's for.
NRA Endowment Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Good to know. Thanks.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TreyHouston »

they have the 223/556 boxes still on sale (4-6weeks backorder) but the 16CAVE promotion ended July 20th.

hey, stupid question. so the 556 rounds face up, as they won't fit the other way (too loose i think). What about the 9mm ammo? they fit either way?? they look better better with the projectile facing up (towards the lid) but are hard to remove. If primer is faced up then it is easier to grab to load.

What way do ya'll put your 9mm ammo in?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Bullet down for me
Beiruty,

TreyHouston