July 4th micro dot sale at Primary Arms

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: July 4th micro dot sale at Primary Arms

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote:
Abraham wrote:Someone please clue me in.

Everything I've read about red dots is to buy an Aimpoint that cost multiple hundreds of dollars, to buy one of lesser quality is a waste of money. This is not me speaking, simply what I've repeatedly read, most especially on M4Carbine.net.

So how can one that cost under a hundred dollars, even at full retail be acceptable assuming what the gun sages state on that other site?

Or, are they full of beans?
Absolutism reigns on the gun boards. ;-)

The question is "suitable" for what? I would not go to Iraq for a year with one of the budget red dots on my M-4, or equip a SWAT unit with them; I would certainly want an EOTech or Aimpoint that has track history of being rugged enough to withstand serious combat use (and it appears they have better/crisper dots and other small but significant advantages).

But to put on a rifle for fun and try out a red dot, I think the budget ones are just fine. For example, on one of the other gun boards I haunt several people noted they were taking advantage of this sale to get red dots for their 10/22s. I doubt they are running into combat with those.

Even the $80 price was holding me back, but for $50 I'm going to put one on my AK and see how I like it, experiment with it, before I go toss out $500 for a "real" one. Shoot, the mount is going to cost me more than the sight. Anyone know of a sale on Ultimaks? :mrgreen:
I want one for my M&P15-22.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

ELB wrote:
Abraham wrote:Someone please clue me in.

Everything I've read about red dots is to buy an Aimpoint that cost multiple hundreds of dollars, to buy one of lesser quality is a waste of money. This is not me speaking, simply what I've repeatedly read, most especially on M4Carbine.net.

So how can one that cost under a hundred dollars, even at full retail be acceptable assuming what the gun sages state on that other site?

Or, are they full of beans?
Absolutism reigns on the gun boards. ;-)

The question is "suitable" for what? I would not go to Iraq for a year with one of the budget red dots on my M-4, or equip a SWAT unit with them; I would certainly want an EOTech or Aimpoint that has track history of being rugged enough to withstand serious combat use (and it appears they have better/crisper dots and other small but significant advantages).

But to put on a rifle for fun and try out a red dot, I think the budget ones are just fine. For example, on one of the other gun boards I haunt several people noted they were taking advantage of this sale to get red dots for their 10/22s. I doubt they are running into combat with those.

Even the $80 price was holding me back, but for $50 I'm going to put one on my AK and see how I like it, experiment with it, before I go toss out $500 for a "real" one. Shoot, the mount is going to cost me more than the sight. Anyone know of a sale on Ultimaks? :mrgreen:
That is exactly what I did on my M4. I bought a cheapo Sightmark red dot and used it for about a year or so just to see if I'd like it or not. I also put one on my daughter's M&P15-22 and she likes it. We use it for NSSF rimfire steel matches and have a great time. I have since put an EoTech on my M4 and it is great. Maybe we'll put something better on the 15-22 when the Sightmark conks out. Or I'm also considering putting one of these on for her.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

My MD-06 showed up today. (Well, probably yesterday, but I didn't look in the mail box until this morning). Now I really have to find a mount.

And... I got an OD green ball cap with it. cool. Has velcro on the front for a flag, another velcro strip on the back, I guess for a name tag, but then it has one small square of velcro on the back side, but up near the top center. Have no idea what that's for. :headscratch Apparently I am not current with tactical cap fashion. Any ideas?
USAF 1982-2005

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

ELB wrote:My MD-06 showed up today. (Well, probably yesterday, but I didn't look in the mail box until this morning). Now I really have to find a mount.

And... I got an OD green ball cap with it. cool. Has velcro on the front for a flag, another velcro strip on the back, I guess for a name tag, but then it has one small square of velcro on the back side, but up near the top center. Have no idea what that's for. :headscratch Apparently I am not current with tactical cap fashion. Any ideas?
It is the top if you have the other velcro patch on some wall or in a cabinet so you can hook the both side to attach the hat to wall or inside the cabinet.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Beiruty wrote:
ELB wrote:My MD-06 showed up today. (Well, probably yesterday, but I didn't look in the mail box until this morning). Now I really have to find a mount.

It is the top if you have the other velcro patch on some wall or in a cabinet so you can hook the both side to attach the hat to wall or inside the cabinet.
Mine came Thursday and I go the cap as well. I assumed the velcro was for a patch, but there was none. Glad to know none of them had a log or patch included. I am now arguing with myself whether to buy a S&W M&P 15-22 to put the sight on. :boxing
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

puma guy wrote:
Beiruty wrote:

Mine came Thursday and I go the cap as well. I assumed the velcro was for a patch, but there was none. Glad to know none of them had a log or patch included. I am now arguing with myself whether to buy a S&W M&P 15-22 to put the sight on. :boxing
EDIT:
Glad to report I won the argument and a new S&W M&P 15-22 should be arriving soon.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

williamkevin

Post by williamkevin »

That velcro square on top is to attach a piece of IR reflective tape or an IR strobe, used to identify friendlies on the ground from the air in darkness. At least, thats one use for it.

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

williamkevin wrote: ..
That velcro square on top is to attach a piece of IR reflective tape or an IR strobe, used to identify friendlies on the ground from the air in darkness. At least, thats one use for it.
Aha. That makes sense. I'm a vollie firefighter, maybe I'll just put a little flashing red light up there. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

MD-06L simply means that the battery compartment is on the left side.

Return to “Closed Items”