H.B. No. 3143 - Ban Private Sales at Gun Shows

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mewalke
Posts in topic: 2

H.B. No. 3143 - Ban Private Sales at Gun Shows

Post by mewalke »

Anyone else get this notice from the NRA-ILA?

"This Thursday, April 11, the Texas House Committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety will hold a public hearing on House Bill 3143 by state Representative Raphael Anchia (D-Dallas). HB 3143 would criminalize private firearms sales at gun shows and require them to be conducted through federal firearm licensed dealers (FFLs). This bill lays the groundwork for FFLs to be able to charge a tax for processing those transfers and imposes vague “recordkeeping” requirements on the seller of the gun."

Being new to Texas, it sounds like even if it is approved in Committee it doesn't automatically go to the floor. Any chance this could even make it to the floor for a vote?

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: H.B. No. 3143 - Ban Private Sales at Gun Shows

Post by Scott Farkus »

My understanding is that after it gets voted out of the Homeland committee it goes to the Calendars Committee to be scheduled for a floor vote.

I tell you what - if this thing makes it out and Open Carry doesn't, well... I'm going to be awfully upset.

Topic author
mewalke
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mewalke »

I am guessing this doesn't stand a chance - but was rather surprised to see it up in committee. Let's hope it dies a horrible death and doesn't even make it out of committee...

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

mewalke wrote:Being new to Texas, it sounds like even if it is approved in Committee it doesn't automatically go to the floor. Any chance this could even make it to the floor for a vote?
With the current Speaker of the House, it may be more likely to make it to the floor than campus carry.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”