UPDATE: 1/10/13

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 4

Re: UPDATE: 1/10/13

Post by 2firfun50 »

Good input. Line up all the requirements to be "Texanized" to the same time standard. Your right, the current proposal is a little too broad.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

A person visiting from out of state would have an out of state driver's license. In most cases, the DL and the CHL would match. During routine traffic stops, I've been asked if the address on my license is correct (it alwasy is as I've usually begun the paperwork to change the address before I've moved). So establishing where someone lives isn't that difficult.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Moby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Moby »

I'm not so sure i'm against such a bill.

A state has the right to ensure it's armed citizens
understand the law, and are proficient with a firearm
(although the current range test is very weak)

Some want to pay less and that's the real motivation
behind wanting to use an out of state license.
Yet they'll carry a firearm costing serveral hundred dollars.

I don't know that I agree with the states reaoning for disallowing
out of state liecenses for residents. Again money motivated.
But the arguement that one needs to understand state law
in the state they carry in is understandable.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Can someone give me one logical reason to allow someone from California to carry in Texas with a California license, and not allow Texans to carry in Texas with or without a license?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexasCajun wrote:And I don't see the DPS only waiving the fingerprints.
You're right, the fingerprint requirement is in the Government Code so DPS can't waive the fingerprint requirement. That will take a legislative change.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bizarrenormality wrote:Can someone give me one logical reason to allow someone from California to carry in Texas with a California license, and not allow Texans to carry in Texas with or without a license?
I can play devil's advocate, although I don't agree with this argument. Someone visiting Texas is here only for a very short time. They will have no training/education on Texas law, but their short stay minimized any risk. Not so with Texas residents.

Chas.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Logical enough as long as we exclude people in Texas graduate schools and other long term "visitors" who don't change their license and registration to Texas. A quick drive through many apartment parking lots will see many out of state license plates. Too many to all be visiting Texans living in those apartments.

If the legislators are concerned about revenue, it seems like it would be much better to focus their attention on those long term "visitors" who don't register vehicles in Texas, etc.

John75
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John75 »

I believe in less gun restrictions overall, and that includes "licenses". Why do we need them to exercise a fundamental right? Has there ever been a push for constitutional carry? I'm new here so I don't know the history.

texasmike
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texasmike »

TexasCajun wrote:A person visiting from out of state would have an out of state driver's license. In most cases, the DL and the CHL would match. During routine traffic stops, I've been asked if the address on my license is correct (it alwasy is as I've usually begun the paperwork to change the address before I've moved). So establishing where someone lives isn't that difficult.
For most situations, I agree, it is not difficult to tell where someone "lives." But difficult situations do arise. For example, assume someone from Lake Charles (LA) is going through a separation and goes to live with a family member in Beaumont while trying to figure out his next step in life. The house that he owns, as well as his immediate family, are in Louisiana. But he's moved out and is staying with someone in Texas. It may be a temporary visit, or it may be permanent, depending on what he decides to do next. At what point is he domiciled in Texas? At what point does he need to get a Texas CHL?

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

texasmike wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:A person visiting from out of state would have an out of state driver's license. In most cases, the DL and the CHL would match. During routine traffic stops, I've been asked if the address on my license is correct (it alwasy is as I've usually begun the paperwork to change the address before I've moved). So establishing where someone lives isn't that difficult.
For most situations, I agree, it is not difficult to tell where someone "lives." But difficult situations do arise. For example, assume someone from Lake Charles (LA) is going through a separation and goes to live with a family member in Beaumont while trying to figure out his next step in life. The house that he owns, as well as his immediate family, are in Louisiana. But he's moved out and is staying with someone in Texas. It may be a temporary visit, or it may be permanent, depending on what he decides to do next. At what point is he domiciled in Texas? At what point does he need to get a Texas CHL?

here in San Antonio, we have so many military....these guys/gals may only be here for a year or two, many don't change car tags, drivers license, probably don't even think about CHL if they have one. Then we have the "snow birds", why not get a CHL that works in both states you call home, that may be a Texas CHL it may be whatever the other state is or it may be FL....or heaven help us you may have to get one for each state :biggrinjester: but I know I would probably avoid that if I could, just for simplicity.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

texasmike wrote:
I suppose that once the person in the example decides what their next move is, that would dictate their next action. If they decide to stay in TX, they'll have 90 days to change DL, registration, etc. The CHL should follow suit but would be dependent on the licensing provisions of the original state (some states require immediate surrender of the CHL when residence in a new state is established).
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

You also need to consider people that have multiple homes in different states.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Post by 77346 »

Moby wrote:...ensure it's armed citizens understand the law...
and
Moby wrote:Some want to pay less and that's the real motivation behind wanting to use an out of state license.
Exactly why I don't think it's a bad idea, however I am not sure if the bill as written is good... need probably a grace period (i.e. 90 days) for people moving in from out-of-state, and perhaps a one-time extension.

I just don't see the logic behind a Texas resident, that lives, works, spends most of his time here, carrying under an out-of-state license... just to by pass Texas requirements and/or save a few bucks on fees?
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

bigbang wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
DevilDawg wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:SB164 (Van de Putte): Providing option to have "Veteran" printed on CHL.
So long as this is OPTIONAL and only per the discretion of the veteran. To be otherwise woul be an attempt to strip our vets by doctor.
It would be optional, but I see no justification for this bill. I would unnecessarily increase DPS' workload for no benefit.

Chas.
I felt the same about printing it on the drivers license but I guess Texas has a budget surplus they need to reduce.
Drivers license printing comes in handy and keeps Vets that aren't retired from carrying around their DD214 to get retailer discounts offered to VETS.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

bizarrenormality wrote:Logical enough as long as we exclude people in Texas graduate schools and other long term "visitors" who don't change their license and registration to Texas. A quick drive through many apartment parking lots will see many out of state license plates. Too many to all be visiting Texans living in those apartments.

If the legislators are concerned about revenue, it seems like it would be much better to focus their attention on those long term "visitors" who don't register vehicles in Texas, etc.
If you are military, you aren't required to. If you aren't, merely there temporarily as a student, etc. it is often cheaper to register in Texas while you are there, in addition to being legally required. Trouble is when you move from California, having paid sales tax on your car and the confiscatory registration, you then have to pay Texas plus the $90 in lieu of sales tax. Then when you go back home, you get to repay wherever you came from again to re-register there.

What is the cost to register a new car purchased in Texas?

The last time I bought a new car, the sales tax and registration was almost $5,000. The sales tax would be higher now.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”