Hey everyone, first post long time watcher.

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
miedoso
Posts in topic: 9

Hey everyone, first post long time watcher.

Post by miedoso »

Well, first I'll say hi from Dallas, Carrollton to be exact. I've been watching the forum for quite a few years. Actually have seen some interesting things. For instance, on other areas of the forum, I saw people talk about Doc's guns shop. I actually just moved my business in across the street. Funny. I am a car dealer, just getting started. I take cash only, so I am not one of those that charge 10zillion percent interest :-). Anyhoo, my first post might get me in hot water, I'm guessing it will cross a few as wrong. But here goes. I am on the fence over some of the current bills, and had the wait and see approach. But one thing that I can't agree with Mr Cotton and others here, is the direction they are asking all of you to follow. They repeatedly ask you guys to write or call your reps, to pass this bill or that. But it seems it's all for not, when it doesn't even get voted on anyways. In my opinion, the number 1 goal to focus on with all the calls and emails? To put a republican into Pickett's place. I don't care if a bill passes or doesn't pass, because it got voted down. That's the purpose of our government. I also don't like seeing people like Mr Cotton repeatedly waste time writing something that won't see time of day. But the fact remains, Pickett has got what he wanted again. A "reason" not to put certain bills forward. The fact that dumb people will post, call or write him or reps with bad or rude behavior, shouldn't impact the putting forward of a bill. It should be put forward on it's own merits. So in my humble opinion, we need to start calling, writing and posting to put someone else in Pickett's place. Ok, let'her rip. I know I'll get a chewing. But I'm a person who sees trying to get things done at the end, instead of the beginning is a waste. For instance, instead of fighting acid indigestion with anti acids is stupid. Fix the problem in the stomach that is creating the acid overflow. Etc Etc etc.

tornado
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Hey everyone, first post long time watcher.

Post by tornado »

What did Speaker Straus' office say the most recent time you called and requested that someone else chair the House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee?

Also, I'm not sure what it takes to change committee chairmanship during a session. What is that procedure?

EDIT: Glad you joined the forum to spark discussion.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Well sir you sure made a 1st impression w/ your 1st post.
1. Mr Cotton has been at this a LOT longer than you have.
2. "Your humble oppinion" comes across anything but that w/ your 1st post.
3. The way Mr Cotton has asked us to do things over the last sevreal yrs (some of which you have evidently been here watching & reading) has got more done than your way what ever that is.
4. If you know 1/2 of what you think you do run for office & see if you can get elected.
5. Welcome to the forum.
LT :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

miedoso wrote:Well, first I'll say hi from Dallas, Carrollton to be exact. I've been watching the forum for quite a few years. Actually have seen some interesting things. For instance, on other areas of the forum, I saw people talk about Doc's guns shop. I actually just moved my business in across the street. Funny. I am a car dealer, just getting started. I take cash only, so I am not one of those that charge 10zillion percent interest :-). Anyhoo, my first post might get me in hot water, I'm guessing it will cross a few as wrong. But here goes. I am on the fence over some of the current bills, and had the wait and see approach. But one thing that I can't agree with Mr Cotton and others here, is the direction they are asking all of you to follow. They repeatedly ask you guys to write or call your reps, to pass this bill or that. But it seems it's all for not, when it doesn't even get voted on anyways. In my opinion, the number 1 goal to focus on with all the calls and emails? To put a republican into Pickett's place. I don't care if a bill passes or doesn't pass, because it got voted down. That's the purpose of our government. I also don't like seeing people like Mr Cotton repeatedly waste time writing something that won't see time of day. But the fact remains, Pickett has got what he wanted again. A "reason" not to put certain bills forward. The fact that dumb people will post, call or write him or reps with bad or rude behavior, shouldn't impact the putting forward of a bill. It should be put forward on it's own merits. So in my humble opinion, we need to start calling, writing and posting to put someone else in Pickett's place. Ok, let'her rip. I know I'll get a chewing. But I'm a person who sees trying to get things done at the end, instead of the beginning is a waste. For instance, instead of fighting acid indigestion with anti acids is stupid. Fix the problem in the stomach that is creating the acid overflow. Etc Etc etc.
One of the "something[s]" that Charles Cotton "wasted time" writing which DID see the light of day was the Texas CHL law....or at least major parts of it. Elected officials submitted and sponsored it, but he wrote it. Not exactly a wast of time, n'est pas? You might be a long time lurker, but you haven't been paying attention. Good luck with your business.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Welcome to the board, this thread might interest you

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=65323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is your name Shill?
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Beat me too it sir.

I did not think of asking his name though. Good job. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A-R »

Wodathunkit wrote:Is your name Shill?

"rlol"

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

One thing I know about fishing. I get much better results with bait on the hook than with a bare hook. When you are trying to persuade a lawmaker to vote for something during the session kind works work best. After the session, if you are not pleased with the way they voter, tough campaigning works best. Learn the difference.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Why is it assumed to be a either or issue?
1. Work to install a more 2A-Friendly Chairman next session.
2. Work to move all positive legislation forward, regardless of who's chairman.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

You'se guys are just plain cold blooded today.

Cold blooded but still clean and classy.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
miedoso

Post by miedoso »

longtooth wrote:Well sir you sure made a 1st impression w/ your 1st post.
1. Mr Cotton has been at this a LOT longer than you have.
2. "Your humble oppinion" comes across anything but that w/ your 1st post.
3. The way Mr Cotton has asked us to do things over the last sevreal yrs (some of which you have evidently been here watching & reading) has got more done than your way what ever that is.
4. If you know 1/2 of what you think you do run for office & see if you can get elected.
5. Welcome to the forum.
LT :tiphat:

I do totally agree, Mr Cotton has got a lot done for us. What I'm saying, is that he didn't get any of it easy. Not to say any will be easy. Concealed was not easy. Etc, on other bills. The fact stands, that we are in a state where laws should be easier to pass, than where I'm from, Iowa. I NEVER thought I would see the day when Iowa would pass us on certain laws. I love Texas. I just can't understand why or how we can let a more liberal state pass us on easy fundamental constitutional rights. My point on my post, isn't that Mr Cottons way isn't wrong, with a more pro 2nd person in Picketts place. What I see, is that it wouldn't be a wall that Mr Cotton has to climb, and get knocked off, 20 times before even getting a fair chance. I'll try to answer more posts. I've thought about running for Gov, etc. But probably fat chance, since I'm asian looking, married to a mexican, with an american name. LOL.

Topic author
miedoso

Post by miedoso »

RoyGBiv wrote:Why is it assumed to be a either or issue?

I do agree with this. Didn't mean in my post, this session, getting rid of Pickett. Just meant, going forward, we should work on that. It just seems like the logical steps, to get positive legislation I guess I can say easier. But I am not saying any of the gun related topics will ever be easy. I'm just thinking, to get a fair vote would be nice. Never getting a vote is not, as many of the laws Mr Cotton has gotten, took many attempts, just to get it in the door.

tornado

Post by tornado »

miedoso wrote:

I do agree with this. Didn't mean in my post, this session, getting rid of Pickett. Just meant, going forward, we should work on that. It just seems like the logical steps, to get positive legislation I guess I can say easier. But I am not saying any of the gun related topics will ever be easy. I'm just thinking, to get a fair vote would be nice. Never getting a vote is not, as many of the laws Mr Cotton has gotten, took many attempts, just to get it in the door.
Mr. Cotton has recognized this. viewtopic.php?f=125&t=62468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think he'd agree that you can substitute "committee chair" for "Speaker of the House" in his sentiments.

Topic author
miedoso

Post by miedoso »

OldGrumpy wrote:One thing I know about fishing. I get much better results with bait on the hook than with a bare hook. When you are trying to persuade a lawmaker to vote for something during the session kind works work best. After the session, if you are not pleased with the way they voter, tough campaigning works best. Learn the difference.
Figured I might get some posts like this. I probably should have not even posted. I just kept on seeing year after year, our bills not even get a chance. I wanted to voice my opinion, and why I felt they weren't getting the chance. Anyways, you guys actually weren't as harsh as I had thought might come. Maybe more to come. But I'm definitely not a shill. I guess only future posts from me will show you.

Topic author
miedoso

Post by miedoso »

tornado wrote:
miedoso wrote:

Mr. Cotton has recognized this. viewtopic.php?f=125&t=62468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think he'd agree that you can substitute "committee chair" for "Speaker of the House" in his sentiments.
Thanks, I had not seen that post. I actually thought it meant he was praising it, so I didn't click on it. Guess my assumption proved the saying is right. don't assume.
Last edited by miedoso on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”