This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:03 pm

Some members have gotten close to calling for an overthrow of the U.S. government. Be forewarned, that violates Forum rules and it will not be tolerated, whether states overtly, covertly, or implied.

Chas.
Image
User avatar
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12595
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby VMI77 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:03 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: The only way to revive conservationism is to attract Hispanics and appeal to all educated young people with a message that resonates with them and doesn't simply sound like bitter old white guys.

I know many of our Members aren't going to like this post. Heck, I don't like it myself, but these are the facts and the ostrich approach never works.

Chas.


That's not going to happen without regaining control of the school system and eliminating liberal media dominance. The school system and media have produced several generations of collectivists and it looks like they're finally reaching critical mass.


I agree about the school system, so get out and do something! Run for the school board or help find, then support and campaign for good candidates.

The media is not a problem no matter how we like to make that claim. Yes, the mainstream media is ultra-liberal and pro-Democrat, but their sphere of influence is small and it's shrinking. No one cares what the talking heads at NBS, CBS and ABC say. That's why Fox News is killing them. Far more people stay informed by reading Internet media outlets. The Hurst Corporation is in big trouble as its newspapers throughout the nation are seeing subscription rates plummet and advertising revenue are following.

Chas.


I probably should have worded it differently. I agree, the internet has reduced MSM influence and the current trend suggests legacy media is terminally ill. Of course, to hasten that outcome and prevent resuscitation the internet has to remain uncontrolled as it is now. However, we are still living with the residual effects of media that extend back to the time when there were three networks and no cable. They're still coasting on their dwindling inertia after at least four decades of collectivist propaganda and don't really seem to care that they are making themselves irrelevant....which suggests they're hoping for government intervention to sustain them.
"The amount of harm caused by any politician can be estimated by his life expectancy in public without bodyguards."

Oleg Volk of Oleg Volk blog
User avatar
VMI77
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3813
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm
Location: Victoria, Texas

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby anygunanywhere » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:The reason hispanics vote democrat is not because they like the dem approach to immigration.

. . .

Immigration reform will not do anything to move them to our side.

Anygunanywhere


This is flat wrong and every political policy expert agrees. This is your opinion and it's wrong.

Chas.


Seeing as how I have only one vote to cast on the subject we will probably see some type of reform again in the future.

I seem to recall that when the Reagan amnesty deal was implemented we were told that there were no more worries about illegal immigration and that we would be all tough and scary so that it would cease.

Still waiting.

What this proves to me is that regardless of the future reforms dreamed up by fed.gov, it will fail too. The only thing consistent about big fed.gov is that they are inept at everything.

Anygunanywhere
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
III%
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/
User avatar
anygunanywhere
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby TexasCajun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: The only way to revive conservationism is to attract Hispanics and appeal to all educated young people with a message that resonates with them and doesn't simply sound like bitter old white guys.

I know many of our Members aren't going to like this post. Heck, I don't like it myself, but these are the facts and the ostrich approach never works.

Chas.


That's not going to happen without regaining control of the school system and eliminating liberal media dominance. The school system and media have produced several generations of collectivists and it looks like they're finally reaching critical mass.


I agree about the school system, so get out and do something! Run for the school board or help find, then support and campaign for good candidates.

The media is not a problem no matter how we like to make that claim. Yes, the mainstream media is ultra-liberal and pro-Democrat, but their sphere of influence is small and it's shrinking. No one cares what the talking heads at NBS, CBS and ABC say. That's why Fox News is killing them. Far more people stay informed by reading Internet media outlets. The Hurst Corporation is in big trouble as its newspapers throughout the nation are seeing subscription rates plummet and advertising revenue are following.

Chas.


Finally, an action-based solution!!! Although, I would expand that beyond local school board elections. It's only 2 years until the mid-term elections. If there are local mid-terms, we need to get involved. If there aren't any local mid-terms, we need to try to do what we can to support those running in the mid-terms that we philosophically agree with. Our legislature is due to convene next year, so that gives us an opportunity to influence what happens in Austin. We need to keep up with what they're doing & let our representation know when they're on the right track as well as when we believe that they're straying off-course.

Somebody mentioned the 2012 NDA. That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If we were paying attention then, the indefinite detention provisions could have been struck down before they were made formal provisions. As I understand it, the NDA must be re-approved every year. So we probably need to take a look at where the 2013 NDA is currently & find out what we can about it.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012
TexasCajun
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby TexasCajun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm

NRA Meeting in Houston http://www.nraam.org/
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012
TexasCajun
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Folks, don't misunderstand; I'm as upset as everyone else with the election results. Not one of my beliefs have changes and my resolve to continue fighting for our Second Amendment right is not diminished. When it was clear Obama had been reelected, my wife and I stared at each other and she finally said "I can't believe America has come to this. How can so many be so deceived?"

As I see it, we can either sit around bemoaning the loss of the America we've all known up until know, or we take a hard look at reality and deal with it.

Chas.
Image
User avatar
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12595
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby Oldgringo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Folks, don't misunderstand; I'm as upset as everyone else with the election results. Not one of my beliefs have changes and my resolve to continue fighting for our Second Amendment right is not diminished. When it was clear Obama had been reelected, my wife and I stared at each other and she finally said "I can't believe America has come to this. How can so many be so deceived?"

As I see it, we can either sit around bemoaning the loss of the America we've all known up until know, or we take a hard look at reality and deal with it.

Chas.


There it is!

I paraphrased an old automobile commercial earlier, "This is not your father's Oldsmobile". The times, they have changed and we must change with them or be left behind.
User avatar
Oldgringo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8824
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Piney Woods of Texas and NW Montana

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:47 pm

VMI77 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: The only way to revive conservationism is to attract Hispanics and appeal to all educated young people with a message that resonates with them and doesn't simply sound like bitter old white guys.

I know many of our Members aren't going to like this post. Heck, I don't like it myself, but these are the facts and the ostrich approach never works.

Chas.


That's not going to happen without regaining control of the school system and eliminating liberal media dominance. The school system and media have produced several generations of collectivists and it looks like they're finally reaching critical mass.


I agree about the school system, so get out and do something! Run for the school board or help find, then support and campaign for good candidates.

The media is not a problem no matter how we like to make that claim. Yes, the mainstream media is ultra-liberal and pro-Democrat, but their sphere of influence is small and it's shrinking. No one cares what the talking heads at NBS, CBS and ABC say. That's why Fox News is killing them. Far more people stay informed by reading Internet media outlets. The Hurst Corporation is in big trouble as its newspapers throughout the nation are seeing subscription rates plummet and advertising revenue are following.

Chas.


I probably should have worded it differently. I agree, the internet has reduced MSM influence and the current trend suggests legacy media is terminally ill. Of course, to hasten that outcome and prevent resuscitation the internet has to remain uncontrolled as it is now. However, we are still living with the residual effects of media that extend back to the time when there were three networks and no cable. They're still coasting on their dwindling inertia after at least four decades of collectivist propaganda and don't really seem to care that they are making themselves irrelevant....which suggests they're hoping for government intervention to sustain them.

Just to extend a little humor.....

I have been sort of half-watching The Five on Fox News while I'm working, and I just heard one of the guys on that show say something funny. He said:
"I just want to be magnanimous in defeat and congratulate the media on their big election win, but now I'd like to ask them a question.....'Now that your guy has been reelected, can we FINALLY hear some reporting about Benghazi?'"

I thought that was pretty funny.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself." — Me
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." — H. L. Mencken
"A ragamuffin knows he’s only a beggar at the door of God’s mercy." — The Ragamuffin Gospel, by Brennan Manning
User avatar
The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16525
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby srothstein » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:09 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I agree about the school system, so get out and do something! Run for the school board or help find, then support and campaign for good candidates.



Charles,

I agree that this is probably the most important first step in any plan to help our country. If any group can get the kids on their side, the kids stay there until some major event changes their mind. If we want our point of view taught in schools, we need to run for and win seats on school boards.

After that, you need to start concentrating more on local offices. People are much more likely to vote Republican when they already have voted that way and associate the party with someone local that they like. Then go for the state offices and statewide offices. Then you can win more of the federal offices.

If the Republican party wants to win the next presidential election, they need to start planning for it now. They have until May in some places to start getting GOOD local candidates to run and win.

Planning now for the midterm elections will also help. Get the platform changes ready now and have all of the local county party members talking about them. And have them be honest and say that it became clear that the party needed to change some of its points radically. Most people hate being lied to and will know when it is happening.
Steve Rothstein
srothstein
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby anygunanywhere » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:09 am

Let's just assume for a moment that immigration reform will drive conservative hispanics our way.

Let's also assume that sometime during the next 4 years this reform happens.

The dems get the credit.

In order for the GOP to get the credit we need to be in the white house.

We can't get into the white house without the support of the conservative hispanics.

Catch 22.

Anygunanywhere
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
III%
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/
User avatar
anygunanywhere
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 am

anygunanywhere wrote:Let's just assume for a moment that immigration reform will drive conservative hispanics our way.

Let's also assume that sometime during the next 4 years this reform happens.

The dems get the credit.

In order for the GOP to get the credit we need to be in the white house.

We can't get into the white house without the support of the conservative hispanics.

Catch 22.

Anygunanywhere


I agree in part, especially the credit part. However, I would never support the Democrat version of immigration reform as it will always be an open-door approach with virtually guaranteed U.S. Citizenship at the end of some period of time. What I propose is Republicans start talking about specific reforms (perhaps like those I outlined) right now! Then add it to state and national platforms. The Republican-controlled House needs to pass an immigration reform bill ASAP, before the Democrats can do it in the Senate. If the Senate refuses to pass it, then the Republicans can and should point that out on a frequent basis, all the way up to the mid-term elections. If the Senate does pass the House version, then Republicans will get the credit.

Some Hispanics in the U.S. will not be satisfied with anything but an open-door policy, but most will accept a compromise. Once we get over that hurdle, then we can talk about what unites us instead of what divides us.

Chas.
Image
User avatar
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12595
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby Purplehood » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Let's just assume for a moment that immigration reform will drive conservative hispanics our way.

Let's also assume that sometime during the next 4 years this reform happens.

The dems get the credit.

In order for the GOP to get the credit we need to be in the white house.

We can't get into the white house without the support of the conservative hispanics.

Catch 22.

Anygunanywhere


I agree in part, especially the credit part. However, I would never support the Democrat version of immigration reform as it will always be an open-door approach with virtually guaranteed U.S. Citizenship at the end of some period of time. What I propose is Republicans start talking about specific reforms (perhaps like those I outlined) right now! Then add it to state and national platforms. The Republican-controlled House needs to pass an immigration reform bill ASAP, before the Democrats can do it in the Senate. If the Senate refuses to pass it, then the Republicans can and should point that out on a frequent basis, all the way up to the mid-term elections. If the Senate does pass the House version, then Republicans will get the credit.

Some Hispanics in the U.S. will not be satisfied with anything but an open-door policy, but most will accept a compromise. Once we get over that hurdle, then we can talk about what unites us instead of what divides us.

Chas.


With the state of todays Media I have my doubts about the Republican Party getting 'credit' for much of anything. Otherwise, I tend to agree.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07
User avatar
Purplehood
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby TexasCajun » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:32 am

Thank you to all of the recent posters for turning this thread toward the direction I had initially envisioned. We need to be discussing a plan of action for the current US Congress, the upcoming Texas Legislature session, and the mid-terms. As soon as the newly elected candidates take office, we need to contact them & let them know who we are & what we're about. When the dust settles from this election, the local GOP groups should hear from us also - right now they're still trying to figure out what happened & where to go next as much as we are.

And on a side note. Please let me say again that I NEVER implied or explicitly stated that this should turn toward any sort of violence toward ANY eleceted officials. The whole point of this thread was to mobilize our group to become politically active in the wake of such a disappointing outcome. I'm a systems guy, and my first response to any problem will always be to see what can be done from within the framework that is already there.

It's boot-strap time, folks!!
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012
TexasCajun
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby anygunanywhere » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Let's just assume for a moment that immigration reform will drive conservative hispanics our way.

Let's also assume that sometime during the next 4 years this reform happens.

The dems get the credit.

In order for the GOP to get the credit we need to be in the white house.

We can't get into the white house without the support of the conservative hispanics.

Catch 22.

Anygunanywhere


I agree in part, especially the credit part. However, I would never support the Democrat version of immigration reform as it will always be an open-door approach with virtually guaranteed U.S. Citizenship at the end of some period of time. What I propose is Republicans start talking about specific reforms (perhaps like those I outlined) right now! Then add it to state and national platforms. The Republican-controlled House needs to pass an immigration reform bill ASAP, before the Democrats can do it in the Senate. If the Senate refuses to pass it, then the Republicans can and should point that out on a frequent basis, all the way up to the mid-term elections. If the Senate does pass the House version, then Republicans will get the credit.

Some Hispanics in the U.S. will not be satisfied with anything but an open-door policy, but most will accept a compromise. Once we get over that hurdle, then we can talk about what unites us instead of what divides us.

Chas.


Thanks Chas!

You are a truly wise man!

Anygunanywhere
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
III%
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/
User avatar
anygunanywhere
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: This Ain't Over Til We Say It's Over

Postby Jasonw560 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:07 am

When I phrased my question, "How far are we willing to go?" I didn't mean it in a subversive tone. I just wondered how much activism in which people would engage.

For me, I took the first step. I joined FreedomWorks, contacted some in my local Tea Party about getting organized for the mid terms, and I am going to find Diane Feinstein's fax number, and tell her what I think about the gun grab she wants to instill. Also going to either fax or call Cornyn's office about that and the Small Arms Treaty.

Take that first step. Keep us involved and informed.

Senator Dianne Feinstein

United States Senate
331 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Phone: (202) 224-3841
Fax: (202) 228-3954


Senator John Cornyn

517 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
Main: 202-224-2934
Fax: 202-228-2856

He has an office downtown here....I may have to make a trip into town.
NRA EPL pending life member

Aim, double tap, repeat if necessary.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry
User avatar
Jasonw560
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Harlingen, TX

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Texas & Federal Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest