Texas Training schools

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

fm2
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Texas Training schools

Post by fm2 »

jeeperbryan wrote:Do any of these training schools allow you to use a .22lr pistol? With the cost of the course plus ammo costs I don't think I can afford to do any of these courses. Even if only partially with a .22 and partially with a centerfire pistol would help.
Phil at the Impact zone is going to have a 22lr ONLY class. I am planning on attending.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

BerettaUSMC60
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BerettaUSMC60 »

I can't help slipping this in ...

Back when I was a pre-Marine in El Paso, TX (1977) I met a former Navy SEAL who was living in town for some type of military contractual training at Fort Bliss. Long story short, we made a quick friendship and he took me out to the "desert" just outside El Paso City Limits and and placed tactical pistol targets at various ranges in the rocky desert floor.

We used both SA and non-SA pistols to hit the targets which included movement (rolling, sprint-n-drop, etc.) and was very exhilarating! Was all new to me and, looking back, was glad this guy wasn't some pedophile!!! I just wanted to post this as it was something both possible and free to do (well, I was not up on TX shooting laws in El Paso County and with a very Viet Nam trained SEAL!)

I kinda wish I had the time/money to do a two+ week course of advanced tactical pistol training out in the "wilderness!!"

No more Thunder Ranch? :cup:

:txflag:

big 54r
Posts in topic: 3

Post by big 54r »

fm2 wrote:
jeeperbryan wrote:Do any of these training schools allow you to use a .22lr pistol? With the cost of the course plus ammo costs I don't think I can afford to do any of these courses. Even if only partially with a .22 and partially with a centerfire pistol would help.
Phil at the Impact zone is going to have a 22lr ONLY class. I am planning on attending.

I think this is a great idea, it would actually help those of us who want to train but are hampered by the present day cost of ammo and it's sometimes spotty availability.

Would a 22lr course be limited to 22lr guns that use a conversion unit such as those for the 1911 and glocks and the 22lr full size guns that mimic say the sig and the cz such as the mosquito and the kadet or would it be open to all 22lr type weps?

I know i'm late with this post but thanks fm2.
btw did this 22lr course actually happen and if so are there any plans for more of these courses and how'd it go for you?

fm2

Post by fm2 »

I've been waiting on the call from Phil for a date on this class.

IIRC it was going to be open to all 22lr's.

With the ammo situation, there's still work we can do. We can work on drawstroke (open & confined spaces), dry fire, use training gun (blue guns) for movement drawstroke, we can improve our other skills empty hands, pre-fight, conditioning.

We can also look toward taking classes that are not ammo intinsive.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

thanx fm2...good stuff!

btw I saw you at forum day but couldn't introduce myself as you where busy conversating with several others and I certainly didn't want to be rude.
I would have liked to have met and talked with you about shiv works and many other things.
oh well maybe on another occasion or at the next forum day in April of 2010.

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

I think the guy's from 360 at memorial shooting center (combat shooting focus: Rob Pincus techniques) should be on this list.
If I overlooked them on the list I'm sorry and disregard this post.

Sgt. Dariel Mosley and Paul White are top notch and should be on a short list for any training at all!

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Paladin »

big 54r wrote:I think the guy's from 360 at memorial shooting center (combat shooting focus: Rob Pincus techniques) should be on this list.
List now updated. -Best Regards
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

badgerw

Suarez International in Texas

Post by badgerw »

I'm not an instructor. Just a student of several Suarez classes. Highly recommended.

The following are Suarez instructors holding classes in Texas that I'm aware of:

JR Urbina in the San Antonio area.

Jon Payne holds classes in Orange and in the DFW area.

Glenn Matthews holds classes in Tyler.

I have been instructed by all three and can vouch for them.

John Chambers is holding classes in Liberty Hill (between Georgetown and Burnet). I have trained alongside John, but not under his instruction. Both my direct impressions and what I hear from others is that John is GTG.

Bill

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

Just did a shotgun class with Tom Givens at KRtraining (Karl Rehn). Givens is an awesome instructor - when he comes to the area (http://www.krtraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) it's well worth it. So are Karl's offerings.

GEM

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

North Texas Tactical is an excellent place to train. I am getting ready to take my third class with Hany and he is definitely worth the trip. He is a fountain of firearms knowledge and will any answer any questions you have. He keeps his class sizes small to provide for lots of personalized instruction.

http://www.northtexastactical.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

scott.novus

Post by scott.novus »

Any one have any experience with Big Boar Tactical?

http://bigboartactical.com/

fm2

Post by fm2 »

GEM-Texas wrote:Just did a shotgun class with Tom Givens at KRtraining (Karl Rehn). Givens is an awesome instructor - when he comes to the area (http://www.krtraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) it's well worth it. So are Karl's offerings.
GEM
I second your accolades for Tom Givens. He is one of the very best in the business.

mrmagnum

Post by mrmagnum »

Has anyone taken the Class from Chris Costa since he has gone solo?

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

Excellent training courses with the Central Texas Combatives Training Group they have guest trainers and work on a range of defensive elements from defense of knife to rifles. CTCTG does frequent force on force training with airsoft and Nok knives.

http://www.combativestraininggroup.com/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

mrmagnum wrote:Has anyone taken the Class from Chris Costa since he has gone solo?
I have two friends that are training junkies, attended one of his classes last summer to rave reviews.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General”