Texas Training schools

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinvestigator »

0DDJ0B wrote:http://www.apgtraining.com/

APG (Adrenalin Proving Grounds) is another school here in the area.

I've been to Tiger Valley and to APG. Both schools were great. I did a pistol class at APG and a carbine class at Tiger Valley.
APG seems to have probems being open. I drove out in November and they were closed. Mid week, 3 in the afternoon.

I drove out again in December on a Tuesday afternoon. Closed.

Last Tuesday I drove out again, and once again they were closed. I checked the web site when I got home and found that they were closed pending repairs to the parking lot, but I didn't see any evidence of that when I was there.

All signs say open 7 days a week.

I checked the website again today and it indicates they are closed due to weather.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

chearne
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chearne »

I'm with Strategic Weapons Academy of Texas. We have a 38 acre training facility outside of Ennis, Texas. It is closed to the Public unless you are attending a course. We have several Local police departments and 1 Federal agency that train there at present.
SWAT is certified to train cilivans, Police and Military. We have a classroom, shoot house, 400 yard sniper range(increasing to 500 yards).
We specialize in Executive Protection.

If you have a group that would like a special class or if you would like individual training we can arrange it.

SWAT is owned by Tim Bulot..... for more information on Tim, do a google search. Check out advanced classes for our next class.
Charles Hearne

0DDJ0B

Post by 0DDJ0B »

chearne wrote:I'm with Strategic Weapons Academy of Texas. We have a 38 acre training facility outside of Ennis, Texas. It is closed to the Public unless you are attending a course. We have several Local police departments and 1 Federal agency that train there at present.
SWAT is certified to train cilivans, Police and Military. We have a classroom, shoot house, 400 yard sniper range(increasing to 500 yards).
We specialize in Executive Protection.

If you have a group that would like a special class or if you would like individual training we can arrange it.

SWAT is owned by Tim Bulot..... for more information on Tim, do a google search. Check out advanced classes for our next class.
Wha kind of prices do you guys have on small groups and do you do classes on Mon and Tues?
Vince

"It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
Emiliano Zapata (1877 - 1919)

chearne

Post by chearne »

The price would depend on the size of the group and what type of training you are looking for. Yes, we can do classes on a Monday or Tuesday.

Email me at charles.hearne@sbcglobal.net with specifics and I can get you a quote.
Charles Hearne

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

I've taken 3 courses at KRTraining and feel that I've learned quite a bit toward protecting myself in an attack. I've signed up for another.

I've taken Basic Pistol II, Advanced Training I & II and A.T. V which was a force-on-force using air pistols. I'm going to take AT III which is one-handed (weak and strong) and awkward positioning shooting. They have lots more that I would like to take. Prices are reasonable, too.

http://www.krtraining.com/

ELB

Post by ELB »

A list like this is worth a sticky, I think, especially if Paladin can add to it as people ID the sources in their posts. I didn't realize there were so many in Texas. Googling for them is kind of a chore.

elb

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ELB wrote:A list like this is worth a sticky, I think, especially if Paladin can add to it as people ID the sources in their posts. I didn't realize there were so many in Texas. Googling for them is kind of a chore.

elb
Done.
Chas.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Wow, fast work! Thanks! Really saves time googling on the internet, and/or searching around in the forums. Appreciate it!

elb

Andiceman

KR Training

Post by Andiceman »

I can't give enough praise to KR Training. I took both my original CHL and renewal classes through KR (both times the instructor was Tom Schaefer) as well as a "Beyond the Basics: Pistol" course several years ago.

I've been meaning for a couple of years not to get further training but never could coordinate my schedule with one of their classes. Last week I emailed Karl Rehn and inquired about a private coaching session. I met him at his range (about an hour's drive East of Austin) and spent two hours learning a ton of stuff. Karl's a great instructor and quickly had me focusing on fundamentals. We worked through drawing and firing from concealment, while moving, and engaging multiple targets.

I still hope to eventually be able to work my schedule to take some of KR's advanced courses, and I'd heartily recommend their training to anyone.

http://www.krtraining.com

karlrehn

KR Training

Post by karlrehn »

First off thanks to all my former students that have posted good things about our school! If anyone has any questions about our courses feel free to email me anytime. I've been teaching classes in Texas since 1991 so ours is one of the older schools. We have had our own private training facility since 2002. Over the years we have brought in many different guest instructors, including:

Tom Givens (Rangemaster), http://www.rangemaster.com
InSights Training (Greg Hamilton and John Holschen). http://www.insightstraining.com
"SouthNarc" & Paul Gomez http://www.shivworks.com
Andy Stanford (OPS)
Jim Crews (Marksman, former Gunsite)
Max Michel (Double Impact, also current USPSA and Steel Challenge champion, also US Army pistol team captain) http://www.maxmichel.com
Travis Tomasie (USPSA Grand Master, Double Impact)
Jerry Miculek (S&W, world's fastest revolver shooter)
Kay Clark Miculek (top woman pistol shooter)
Jerry & Kay's website is http://www.bang-inc.com

We just booked Michael DeBethancourt (S&W academy and Northeastern Tactical Schools) to teach 2 days of his snubnose revolver program at our range in April 2008, and a one day weapon retention class.
http://www.snubtraining.com

Matt Burkett is also teaching classes in Texas now
http://www.mattburkett.com

Compared to 10-15 years ago there's no shortage of good training available all over the state.

Karl
KR Training
http://www.krtraining.com

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

Welcome, Karl. And thanks for doing what you do.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

fm2
Posts in topic: 5

Post by fm2 »

Welcome aboard Karl!

I hope to make it to the Snubby class.

Ferrell

O6nop

Re: Texas Training schools

Post by O6nop »

I wish there were more schools in the Austin area. I've taken several classes with KRTraining, but they are hit and miss as far as the scheduling goes. I'd like to see the classes more progressive, beginner to advanced. Sometimes he has a class that I'd like to take but it's only offered once in that year, and I can't make it. I know it's his business and I'm sure he runs it the best way he can, and beginner courses are very important.

Boy, Houstonians got it made, half of the schools are there and in the surrounding area. They have to be the best trained folks in Texas!
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

jrmy_1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jrmy_1 »

I'm looking to start some advanced training and would like to know if anybody has any recommendations of what trainer/facilities offers the "better" courses. I was impressed with Howe and Yeager's background as well as Hoffner's. These are the main individuals I reviewed becasue they are closer to Lake Jackson. Does anyone have any experience with these courses or could they recommend the "better" training facility? Also, I live in Lake Jackson, is it worth it to travel for the "better" course or are they fairly similar? I'm looking for an all around course, handgun, indoor, outdoor, clearing dwellings, multiple scenarios, day/night, hand-to-hand, etc. I was hoping to train with somebody who has real-life experiences with lethal combat in multiple situations. Opinions are appreciated. PM me if you'd rather not post. Thanks.

-J

Bill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bill »

I have taken both Yeager 's advanced Pistol and Hoffner's Advanced moving shooter moving target Rifle. They are different in many ways, the same in a few. I have reviewed both. I like hoffner as an Individual, hes is not as in your face as Yeager, albeit more relaxed. Yeager is doing edgy stuff and moves very fast, we shot almost 3k round in 4 days. I not sure very many would agree to some of the safety aspects. Hoffner is a little slower paced less intimidating but he know his stuff and has been doing this at a teaching level for many years like 20. Both think we as Americans should be well equipped for the times ahead, Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun,Knife,FOF, etc...

Hoffner is having a Free Seminar this Sat at Pruetts Gun and Ammo along with 4 hour knife fighting afterwards, not free. Look at his site for more info
retired CHL Instructor

Return to “General”