ShivWorks Structure class, Bastrop, Sept. 3-4

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
fm2
Posts in topic: 3

ShivWorks Structure class, Bastrop, Sept. 3-4

Post by fm2 »

I'm hosting SouthNarc in Bastrop, Sept. 3-4 for his AMIS class. This is a force on force class that uses airsoft to work the tactics of clearing a building solo. It's a crawl, walk, run progression; meaning we define the problem, discuss, work drills with consenting training partners, then work drills with non-consenting training partners. There's also a bit of low light & flashlight work on Saturday night. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Class description:
ShivWorks
Armed Movement in Structures (AMIS)
The ShivWorks Armed Movement in Structures (AMIS) course is a twenty hour block of instruction focusing
on negotiating movement problems within structures with limited or no resources. Realizing that
moving through a structure that contains armed hostiles, perhaps by one’s self, is probably the most
dangerous task one can undertake, the best options for winning a confrontation are presented with the
qualification that there is no safe way to do this.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
fm2

Re: ShivWorks Structure class, Bastrop, Sept. 3-4

Post by fm2 »

We'll meet up in Bastrop on Saturday morning and caravan to the training site, so check in with me Friday night.

NO LIVE AMMO NEEDED for this class, so that keeps the cost down compared to others. You will need airsoft pistol & gear. This class has no prerequisite & is not a contact class.

Here's the class outline:
Day One (12 hours):
•Viewing the environment in terms of the unseen
•Vertical, Horizontal, and Diagonal planes of visual obscurement
•Distance variables and the visual apex
•Threshold evaluation
•Dynamic and Deliberate movement
•Room Entry factors (known versus unknown)
•Minimizing multiple exposure
•Modifying the fighting platform to conform to cover and concealment
•Re-setting/Disrupting the adversary’s OODA loop
•Chalk board exercises
•Dry-runs
•FoF evolutions
•Low-light module
Day Two (8 hours)
•Practical Exercises for egress, search, and third-party rescue
Equipment Required
Airsoft pistol, airsoft ammunition, wrap around eye/face protection suitable for Airsoft and man-marking
cartridges, holster, groin protection, flashlight. Course cost for 20 hours of instruction is $400.00
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
fm2

Re: ShivWorks Structure class, Bastrop, Sept. 3-4

Post by fm2 »

We had a really good class this time. We were able to use a house to train in and that made the experience even better. The house had stairs, creaky floors, widely variable lighting conditions, reflective surfaces (making flashlight use tricky), sticky doors, different floor coverings, and many other things NOT encountered on a range, but common in the real world.

This class is mostly a tactics class. We worked the tecniques cold with our training partners shadowing us. They gave feedback on our movement, pacing, exposure, and route choices. We also discussed other routes to take and their pros/cons. Then we progressed to moving through and trying to see our training partners before they saw us. We donned our safety gear next. Then we learned how well we were doing when we went to force on force with the airsoft and they could shoot when they saw us. We also found out how stressful it is to be alert and still and wait while you know someone is coming to find you. That was much more mentally taxing than most thought. The class wasn't really physically tiring as it was mentally tiring. The constant mental focus and trying to apply all the concepts was the challenge.

I feel the lessons learned in the AMIS class would benefit most CHL holders and business owners who search places alone, like alarm or bump in the night calls. I know a lot of LEOs perform this task solo on a suspicious noise call or after a foot chase. If they only work with a team, I think they could benefit as well due to the concepts and tactics taught. By learning and applying the tactics in the class, maybe the outcome for LEOs, when someone brings the fight such as the Ceres case in CA, would be different. I enjoyed the class and the people training with me very much. Everyone provided good, constructive feedback to help each other get better. Time spent working with a great instructor and quality people is always worthwhile.

Return to “General”