Practical Personal Defense course w/Longtooth

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
FishInTx
Posts in topic: 2

Practical Personal Defense course w/Longtooth

Post by FishInTx »

I live in the Lufkin area and wanted some self defense training so I called Jerry Young, known as Longtooth on the CHL forum.

My son and I have been shooting for years but never had any formal training. When I got my CHL I wanted to know how to carry and how to best defend myself.

We have trained with Jerry for 2 days now and the classes have been excellent. We've got a 3rd class scheduled for next week and plan to take more.

After a quick review of safety, the grip, stance, and posture we started shooting, we've done a lot of shooting. Jerry covers just about everything and can design and operate a detailed course to fit your needs. We did a lot of retention shooting, moving and shooting, some malfunction drills mixed in while doing both. He taught us some close contact defense and retaliation moves. My son and I carry knives so we did some knife training. He worked with me on dressing around my gun and drawing from concealed. Next week we'll cover carjackings and other self defense scenarios.

It has been an A+ experience so far. Jerry is an excellent teacher. Self defense is a serious issue but he knows when to get you to smile and relax. There's positive reinforcement and an environment conducive to learning. We've got homework from the classes but it's homework we love to do. :mrgreen: I highly recommend the Practical Personal Defense course from Jerry. Give him a call (936) 676-6122
I'll make an update after next weeks class!!

Steve/Fish

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Practical Personal Defense course w/Longtooth

Post by Beiruty »

4hrs drive for me. It is too far. Good job getting your skills sharpened.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KinnyLee »

+1 on Jerry's class :fire

Topic author
FishInTx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FishInTx »

We had another session with Jerry yesterday and it was excellent as well. We covered carjackings, close encounters, multiple bad guys, moving and taking cover, shooting offhand, shooting after running, and more.
We did a lot of BG's with a knife, pipe, or gun attacking and how to block, retaliate and "control" the BG.
The best part about the class was going over CHL laws and the use of deadly force. I had quite a few questions on things I wasn't sure of and Jerry was able to answer all of them. He's very up to date on the law and can teach it in a way that is very easy to understand.
I highly recommend Jerry. My son and I learned a lot and had fun. It's an awesome feeling when that move he was trying to teach you finally clicks, and both student and teacher smile.

Return to “General”