CHL renewal class recommendations north houston

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Charger
Posts in topic: 3

CHL renewal class recommendations north houston

Post by Charger »

Maybe my search skills stink, but I tried! :) Do any of you have recommendations (good or bad!) for where to take my CHL renewal class? I live in Magnolia, north houston. Thanks!

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL renewal class recommendations north houston

Post by Divided Attention »

We took our initial at Thunder Gun Range in Conroe with Steve and Donna Vandermolen - recommend them highly!!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I live not that far away, near Tomball. For me, it was worth driving to Friendswood to hear what Charles Cotton had to say in his class. If I wanted to really get a good discussion on use of force, I'd recommend listening to him. :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Charger

Post by Charger »

Just wanted to close the loop on this...I ended up taking my renewal at Thunder Gun Range. They were very nice, on the phone and throughout. That said, I was pretty disappointed in the class itself. All of the classroom section was composed of listening to a recorded voice reading the powerpoint slides the computer was running on the screen. No interaction whatsoever. The instructor wasnt even in the room, including breaks. The computer presentation would tell you it was break time then automatically start again ten minutes later. At the end of this the instructor came in and asked if anyone had any questions. I mentioned his presentation was out of date regarding the parking lot law and we went back and forth for a minute before it dawned on me that he just didnt know the law had changed last September. Then we were required to sit through about a half hour worth of a sales presentation about the [Pre-paid legal service]. Now, this might in fact be the best thing since sliced bread, but I didnt come here for this and I didnt appreciate having to sit through it. We moved onto the shooting bit which was pretty standard though perhaps slow since the guy running the show also had responsibilities behind the counter of the gun range/store.

Anyway, my thoughts; very nice people but very uninspired and boring class with outdated information and sometimes downright annoying due to either having to sit through sales pitches of having to wait while the instructor is tending the shop.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Charger wrote:Just wanted to close the loop on this...I ended up taking my renewal at Thunder Gun Range. They were very nice, on the phone and throughout. That said, I was pretty disappointed in the class itself. All of the classroom section was composed of listening to a recorded voice reading the powerpoint slides the computer was running on the screen. No interaction whatsoever. The instructor wasnt even in the room, including breaks. The computer presentation would tell you it was break time then automatically start again ten minutes later. At the end of this the instructor came in and asked if anyone had any questions. I mentioned his presentation was out of date regarding the parking lot law and we went back and forth for a minute before it dawned on me that he just didnt know the law had changed last September. Then we were required to sit through about a half hour worth of a sales presentation about the [Pre-paid legal service]. Now, this might in fact be the best thing since sliced bread, but I didnt come here for this and I didnt appreciate having to sit through it. We moved onto the shooting bit which was pretty standard though perhaps slow since the guy running the show also had responsibilities behind the counter of the gun range/store.

Anyway, my thoughts; very nice people but very uninspired and boring class with outdated information and sometimes downright annoying due to either having to sit through sales pitches of having to wait while the instructor is tending the shop.
What you just described does not begin to meet DPS requirements for instructors and classes. All classes must be live, except that at one time DPS would allow the use of approved videos for up to 20% of the class. I believe this is still okay, but I know DPS was reevaluating all videos.

You may want to call DPS to see if you have a problem signing and turning in a government document (CHL-100) from a class like you described.

Chas.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Charger wrote:Just wanted to close the loop on this...I ended up taking my renewal at Thunder Gun Range. They were very nice, on the phone and throughout. That said, I was pretty disappointed in the class itself.
Hate to be an "I told you so", but you wouldn't have been disappointed with Mr. Cotton's class.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Charger

Post by Charger »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Charger wrote:Hate to be an "I told you so", but you wouldn't have been disappointed with Mr. Cotton's class.
lol yeah yeah :) I did look at his schedule. This was just good timing and right around the corner.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Have to jump in and say there are different instructors that work out of Thunder. Unfortunately OP did not get the ones I had recommended. :???:
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

Having done my class at Thunder with Steve and Donna, I can tell you it was not done with them. I would very highly suggest them to anyone. However they only teach once a month and there are other instructers there for the rest of the classes. Sorry to hear you had this experiance.

Return to “General”